Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mini production

Options
  • 16-02-2005 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Initially BMW planned to sell 100000 a year. This is now increasing to 250000 a year. This is almost as much as the highest number of old minis produced in any one year. Remarkable success story

BBC Article

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Good marketing from BMW. But a cd player is still on the options list. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Saw a "classic" Mini Clubman in Carrick-on-Suir last week with two window stickers proclaiming
    100% Mini 0% BMW

:D

I must check to see if there's much warfare between classic and Beemer
    owners...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I had a mini, and know a couple of mini drivers (the car, not the actress :) ) and they don't see the BMW mini as an updated mini, just a BMW hatchback. One of the cool things about the original mini was that you got a pretty bare shell which was affordable to customise - it was as cheap or as expensive as you wanted it to be. The BMW mini is just another hot hatch (albeit, a very nice looking one) that is not cheap, even for the base model.

I think the new mini, like the new Beatle, have left out a lot of what made the original ones such classics

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Who buys these **** cars :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thought provoking points lads
    mike65 wrote:
    I must check to see if there's much warfare between classic and Beemer owners...

I'd be very interested in that too, Mike

My opinion on the new mini in a few remarks:

-not a competitor to the old mini

-does not represent anything what the old mini stood for imo

-very expensive

-even more expensive if you consider the option list and the eagerness with which prospective buyers start ticking them

-great car with super handling and performance esp in Cooper S. Every single review I've read comes to same conclusion

-incredible marketing success for BMW reviving the mini as opposed to total marketing flop reviving the beatle for VAG

-total cash cow for BMW. More than 1 in 6 cars BMW sells are minis now. The margin on the mini must be huge

-I haven't driven it. Would like to drive Cooper S :)

-I love the classic mini

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

quiet a lot of them about here, Coopers also. even though they are larger, they are closer in form to the original than the VW. I think they look better overall than the VW and it's nice to know I can get my rather tall frame into one comfortably and leave room for a legged person in the rear seat.
    I'd consider one for the daily commute. (used)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

"Mini Cooper" and "large" in the same sentence, no way!

They must sell a LWB version in the US as I drove a friend's Cooper once and even though it was great to drive and enjoyed every moment of it, plenty of room in the front but the seats in the back were a joke, a toddler would have trouble getting in and out of them. As for the boot, you couldn't fit a set of golf clubs in there (if I had a set of golf clubs).

But then again these cars are not designed to be practicle are they? They are meant to be fun, if you want practicality best go buy a hatchback or saloon.

Very expensive to buy in Ireland even the base model. Would suit me as a weekend car though :cool: but couldn't justify it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's it. You'd struggle to find a new mini with people on the back seat or a set of golf clubs in the back

Not what it is bought for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Indeed, that's what a Seven Series is for. Eh? ;)

Mike.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

unkel wrote:
    That's it. You'd struggle to find a new mini with people on the back seat or a set of golf clubs in the back

Not what it is bought for
    Apparently the rear Z suspension setup which provides better handling steals from the bootspace.

• Advertisement
Advertisement