Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPL confusion

Options
  • 16-02-2005 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

Can someone put me out of my misery and answer a question for me regarding the GPL and specifically MySQL

1. If I write a non open source application that requires MySQL and I distribute the drivers for MySQL on the same CD as my application do I have to pay a full license to/for MySQL?

2. If I don't distribute the drivers for MySQL. But direct any customers to where they can obtain them under the GPL am I or they liable for any MySQL license.

I thought that I could use any GPLd program in my product as long as I
    did'nt modify the source code of the program. So, if I just used MySQL instead of MS Access, it's free, buf if I fiddled with the code for MySQL itself (to add an extra feature) then I'd have to release that additional new code.

So whats the reality here??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

IANAL

1. yes.
    2. yes, not sure which of you though. Probably assumes that you're supplying a server by default, that you've to build into your pricing, but you'd have to check with mysql.
    If your app just supports ODBC or JDBC, and the customer chooses to use mysql + odbc driver, then the requirement is on them I guess.

3. Use it for free with your own code yes, but distribute that app, even within your organisation (that was a surprise) and mysql want you to buy a license. Though in your organisation it might be arguable that you can make source available for 3 yrs, and it's the department using the product, not the deskjockey, allowing it to be GPL. maybe. kinda.

So, time to brush up on your BSD postgresql skills? Windows native build out soonish. Or the dark-side, msde, for apps with very limited numbers of users.

from the mysql faq

http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/commercial-license.html
    "
    If you develop and distribute a commercial application and as part of utilizing your application, the end-user must download a copy of MySQL; for each derivative work, you (or, in some cases, your end-user) need a commercial license for the MySQL server and/or MySQL client libraries.
    "
    "
    If you include one or more of the MySQL drivers in your non-GPL application (so that your application can run with MySQL), you need a commercial license for the driver(s) in question. The MySQL drivers currently include an ODBC driver, a JDBC driver and the C language library.
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

OK, cheers....Think I'll look at Postgresql a bit more. A windows port seems to be available though....

http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/binary/v8.0.1/win32/

Advertisement