Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada advice

Options
  • 16-02-2005 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

I started this thread on the travel board but realised that I'd probably get more of a response here. Hopefully I won't be smitten by the mods!

Like so so many others, me and a few mates are headin to Canada for the Summer, so I'm looking for advice on the following:-

Accomodation
    What are the best type of places to stay in? Should we rent a gaf or what? I've heard of people renting sorority houses but I've found it difficult to find info on this. What's the going rate roughly? (longshot I know).

Working
    Is it difficult to get work in Canada (Toronto area primarily)? Should I arrange somewhere to work before I get there?

General craic
    I obviously want to have serious craic over there so what's on offer, if anything, that's different to here? Or what have people done on the past on these sort of holidays?

I really know very little about what I've gotten myself into so feel free to bombard me with any advice you can think of!!!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

I wanted to go to canada next year, but since my degree is over this summer, i'd have to get a temporary work visa, which requires a job offer, so now i don't know.

I've heard (mostly from americans tbh) that canadians are amongst the driest, dullest people on earth but if there's craic to be had, the irish will find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I went2 vancouver 2 summers ago-best summer of my life!We stayed in frat houses on the ubc campus-there was about 3 in a room but it worked out at bout 5euro's a week-if even.Your best bet is definatly to get in2 a frat house+u meet loads of the locals that way which makes it more fun.I would seriously go2 vancouver instead of toronto cos better job,accomodation and craic!Also u have sking only an hour away and the gorge vancouver island!Seattle is only an hour away and we drove down to L.a and vegas in 2days to-so u acn see the whole of the west coast of the us too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

How did you contact the frat houses, I've found it difficult to do so thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

There is a good book you can get in most book shops living and working in canada. I am aslo heading to Toronto this summer managed to get an appartment already. Fi you need anything let me know.

For Rented accomindation

http://www.torontorentals.net/
    http://www.renters.ca/renters/search/index.cfm/fuseaction/first.cfm

jobs visit:
    www.workopolis.com
    www.monster.ca
    www.alltorontojobs.com
    www.toronto.jobshark.ca

Advertisement