Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Woodward names O'Driscoll as Northern Hemisphere XV captain

• 16-02-2005 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭

Brian O'Driscoll will captain a Northern Hemisphere XV when they take on their counterparts from south of the equator in a one-off challenge match at Twickenham next month.

The Ireland skipper, tipped by many to lead the British and Irish Lions during their tour of New Zealand, got the nod from Northern Hemisphere coach Clive Woodward. Woodward will also coach the Lions in the summer.

O'Driscoll's international teammates Paul O'Connell, Malcolm O'Kelly and David Humphries are also named in the starting line-up for the IRB Rugby Aid match which will raise funds to provide relief after the Asian Tsunami.

Full article here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Could this be a test for O'Driscoll - our could we be getting a glimpse of things to come?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Could this be a test for O'Driscoll

Definitely, and a good test for Woodward as well - he is quite lucky to have this match (although of course, it is being played because of a horrible event in the first place) to start putting players from other countries together before the Lions tour.

eoin_s wrote:
    Definitely, and a good test for Woodward as well

Very true - lets hope he didnt get rusty in his time off.
    eoin_s wrote:
    putting players from other countries together before the Lions tour.

Yes pity there is not a few more "likelys" available or playing but perhaps he is also looking at his maybe's list.

Yes pity there is not a few more "likelys" available or playing but perhaps he is also looking at his maybe's list.

Exactly, if he has a good idea of the core team, he may as well use this to try out a few possibles. I am not too sure if all the British players will be released - I don't know how this match may clash with Zurich / Heineken Cup matchs etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Am i the only one who thinks this is a stupid game to be playing at a stupid time. This is just the sort of pointless game that players get serious injuries.

Without sounding like a dick.....is this game really necesasary, a couple of charities have come out and siad that they have too much money for their operations in Asia now and have begun to return it (Medicine Sans Frontiere for one).

• Advertisement

RuggieBear wrote:
    Am i the only one who thinks this is a stupid game to be playing at a stupid time. This is just the sort of pointless game that players get serious injuries.

I totally agree but was just commenting on the selection of O'Driscoll etc because the game is going ahead - albeit at a stupid time.

ruggiebear wrote:

You have a point, if the rugby unions wanted to raise money, I am sure that there are a lot of ways they could have done it (portion of ticket sales from current internationals, portion of merchandise sales etc). Maybe if this wasn't a Lions year it would be easier to fit in.

Wasn't the idea for this game rejected the last couple of years because of the amount of matches they have to play as it is?

Still, should be a good game to watch all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Downtime wrote:
    I totally agree but was just commenting on the selection of O'Driscoll etc because the game is going ahead - albeit at a stupid time.

Yeah i think thats a big hint.... :D

I suposse i'm just being ultra negative coz i heard on another forum someone mentioning that Niall Woods' career was ended by an injury he picked up in a charity game.... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I think that statements from organisations like Doctors Without Brains are not appreciated by charities in the area who are trying to do real work rather than acting like cowboys and seeking press coverage e.g. demanding access to RC satellite phones then spending 6 hours talking to CNN describing their heroic work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement