Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

How do I retrieve files from an XP HD that won't boot?

• 16-02-2005 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

I have a nearly new laptop that won't boot today: gives the error: windows could not boot because the following file was unavailable: c:\windows\system32\config\system

The laptop came with a recovery disk that is just a ghost image of the entire disk. It does not come with a copy of XP home on disk. Tech support from the OEM told me my only option was to wipe the system. I don't mind doing this but there are a few text files I need to recover first.

There is no floppy on the machine but I have a USB memory stick.

What can I do?

Buy a copy of XP (grrr) to get the recovery console program?
    Buy some other prog that will retrieve my files?
    I am in a big hurry.

Would really appreciate some advice here. (Yes I know I should have backed up my data!)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

If you have access to the internet and a cd burner go and download a knoppix live cd.

Boot the system with the cd and use it to copy your files to the memory stick. You might have to set the cdrom to boot in the bios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

but a floppy drive for like €15 then go to www.bootdisk.com and download the Win98SE recovery disk and use the recovery tool from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

Thanks briano and garth v

Here is a knowledge base article from MS:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

My registry is corrupted and from what I have researched this is very common and can be an ongoing problem with any hardware configuration. Even when the registry is restored or windows re-installed it is likely to happen again. One guy had swapped out every component on his machine apart from the PSU and it still kept occurring. Turned out his PSU was dodgy and was somehow causing disk corruption.

I bought an external floppy and made win98 boot disks from bootdisk.com This didn't work; I couldn't see the C: drive (maybe 98 can't see NTFS?) I also made a set of 6 xp boot disks but this didn't work either (because I have OEM windows?)

I made a CD of knoppix and at least I can retrieve my data now. So now I can fresh install.

For the future, I'm going to make my laptop dual boot with linux/xp so that I can access the files if my registry gets corrupted again. Also daily backups from now on!

cheers

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

YOu are right, WIn98 boot disks don't see NTFS

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

delly wrote:
    YOu are right, WIn98 boot disks don't see NTFS

if you have used encrypted NTFS and didn't make the backup thingy then game over.
    otherwise even DOS can read NTFS using ntfsdos on www.sysinternals.com
    you could also reinstall XP - if that doesn't work, because of an inheritable setting or reg problem , then you could install XP in a different folder.

NB. Knoppix will recognise USB memory and most network cards if you need to backup lots of data.

Advertisement