Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

track end rods and failed nct

Options
  • 16-02-2005 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

just wondering if anyone could tell me what track end rods are. car recently failed nct on account of licence plate, a damaged tyre and damaged track end robs on same wheel. Replaced plate and tyre and asked guy in tyre centre to sort tracking - unfortunately he left me pretty confused as to what he had done re. tracjing he had fitted new tyre.

Have re-test shortly and was wondering if it's likely the track end rods problem was sorted or should I be taken car somewhere else to have this looked at.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The guy in the tyre centre is very unlikely to have changed the track rod end. They're the adjustable ends that are moved in or out to align the tracking. They're not too expensive and are quite quick to change. I paid £50 to get one done on an astra about 4 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The track rod is a link which turns the wheel there is a balljoint on a thread at either end, at some point the outers always go and eventualy the inners will esp on Irish roads! Depending on make you may find its both cheaper to buy and quicker to fit a compete track rod (note they are also known as tie-rods) rather than a single track rod end. I got a complete unit for my Merc for about 45 euro incl VAT.

Whats a tie rod dad?

Mike.

Advertisement