Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student interview

Options
  • 16-02-2005 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

Have one coming up in a few weeks at NUI Maynooth. Already a student but finished this year and hoping to go back and do another course.

Does anyone have any info on the interview....whether you've done it or not or know what they ask? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

what's a mature student interview? i'll be coming back next year too.. do i need to do one too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

what's a mature student interview? i'll be coming back next year too.. do i need to do one too?

No hun, you're grand. This is a completely new course (told ya I was going to be an eternal student ;) )....that I didn't have the points for but I'm 23 now so can apply for anything.

Anyone done it? No?

Booooo! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Sorry to stray a lil bit off the point of your post.. But how do feel about going back to college at 23? Is it a bit daunting? I'm 27, and kinda regret not getting a degree (not that it was my fault.. stupid points system).. Have often thought about it...

Kev.

Sorry to stray a lil bit off the point of your post.. But how do feel about going back to college at 23? Is it a bit daunting? I'm 27, and kinda regret not getting a degree (not that it was my fault.. stupid points system).. Have often thought about it...

Kev.

I'm not going back to college, I'm already there. On my final year of Science. Just want to go back and do another degree. It's been on my mind for a long time that it's what I want to do.

It's never too late to go back Kev.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I'm coming towards the end of first year and I turn 26 soon.

It was something I realised I'd like to do about 18 months ago and I immediately started investigating the possibility and preparing to do it on the basis that if it wasn't a good idea then I'd have figured it out by the time that year was up and that the money I had been saving could have gone towards something useful like a house deposit or something. So, knowing what I wanted to study and learn I started looking at every prospectus I could get my hands on and ruling out places and making a list of what ones I found suitable. As this went on I looked more and more forward to going and I came and I don't regret it at all.

One thing I will say, although this is entirely from my own point of view so if it doesn't apply to you then fair enough, is that I'm glad I'm doing it in my late 20s rather than waiting until my 30s. For one thing I can fit in with a bunch of 18-20 year olds now and maybe then I wouldn't so much. That's an attitude more than anything else, but attitudes change with age I think. Also, I sorta see myself doing certain things in my early to mid 30s that wouldn't be consistent with studying full time. Last year I had no real responsibilities or ties and I figured I might as well do whatever the hell I felt like while I could.

• Advertisement

You're right Ecksor, as it is most of my friends in college are 19-20 so being a few years older than them doesn't make any difference to me. But I'm sure it would be a different story if I waited until I was in my 30's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Thanks for the input folks.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

what you looking to do Clarebear? staying in Maynooth?

I don't know if I could handle 3/4more years, maybe 1 (I'm 23 myself) need to get a few euro's in my pocket!

Well turns out I don't need to do an interview afterall. Thank the Lord for that.

Ixus I'm staying in Maynooth because I'm happy here....and I think I'm going to be one of those eternal students....real world = scary :eek:

:D

didn't think an interview was necessary alright.
    Is it a masters in science?
    was thinkin of doing something in business when i finish this engineering thingy.
    ClareBear wrote:
    Ixus I'm staying in Maynooth because I'm happy here....and I think I'm going to be one of those eternal students....real world = scary :eek:

:D

Snap!

In fact it's so scary I think I need to go to the roost tonight and forget all about it with a lot of nice cheap fosters and watch the skirt go by.

hope it snows tonight , could be some fun outside the chipper with a few long range snow balls.

• Advertisement

ixus wrote:
    didn't think an interview was necessary alright.
    Is it a masters in science?
    was thinkin of doing something in business when i finish this engineering thingy.

Snap!

In fact it's so scary I think I need to go to the roost tonight and forget all about it with a lot of nice cheap fosters and watch the skirt go by.

hope it snows tonight , could be some fun outside the chipper with a few long range snow balls.

Forgot you were in Maynooth. No it's not a masters. Not intelligent enough for that :)

ClareBear wrote:
    No it's not a masters. Not intelligent enough for that :)

i think the info on postgrads in Maynooth is rubbish, i want to do something in business if i do decide to stay on.
    what you looking at?

Well it would be Science. I'll have my diploma this year but I'm looking at elsewhere now for my final year....Zoology in Trinity for one year. But I'll stay living in Maynooth. Definitely.

Advertisement