Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ps2 slimline modchip

• 16-02-2005 6:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭

does anyone know anyone who'll install a modchip for the ps2 slimline as im going to buy one to play imported games. any help would be appreciated. feel free to pm me.

Thx
    Gangsta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 oxis

I would like to know the same thing. Where can I get the chip and how do I install it? Also will the chip allow me to edit all the aspects of pro Evolution Soccer 4? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ico

Dont think you can mod the slimline ps2!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

ico wrote:
    Dont think you can mod the slimline ps2!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can indeed mod the slimline Ps2, www.modchipsireland.com. Chris has a great reputation. I think he posts on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

he sells them ready chipped and puts the extra stuff on to stop the laser burnout. Saves you the cost of posting it to him

Are there significant differences between the infinity and the duo chip? Im also looking to mod my (original) PS2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The duo chip needs to be told what it is booting, i think a selection screen comes up. The infinity boots up instantly and can bypass the logo screens.
    Only the infinity fits in the slim ps2.
    there are a few more differences, there is long detailed info on the site

I suppose I should be asking if its worth the extra 20 squids. €100 just seems like too much for a chip + install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

rubadub wrote:
    The duo chip needs to be told what it is booting, i think a selection screen comes up. The infinity boots up instantly and can bypass the logo screens.
    Only the infinity fits in the slim ps2.
    there are a few more differences, there is long detailed info on the site

There are a good few modchips that fit the slimline PS2 (v12).The Ripper IV for instance which is available for around 13 or 14 yoyos in bulk from here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Mohanned

oxis wrote:
    I would like to know the same thing. Where can I get the chip and how do I install it? Also will the chip allow me to edit all the aspects of pro Evolution Soccer 4? Thanks.

Just get a swap magic its safer. :D I use it myself.

The site is www.swapmagic.com :D and if that does not work go to google and you shall find it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

is it true that once you chip your pstwo, you can't play originals and imports online anymore?

• Advertisement

Cheers for all the info. I decided to go with swap magic and the slim tool. Beware though, if you are going for the swap magic discs, make sure that you are ordering the PAL version. I got the USA version and obviously it doesn't work. I am awaiting the arrival of my PAL swap discs and then it should be all systems go. There is lots of information about the swap magics and slim tools etc if you just type the words into google. :D

oxis, I tried to find it but could, maybe you know, will the imports be played with full colour and full screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

rip rip rip off, i got my chip in asia for 20 euros ! installed.
    i wonder whats the wholesale price for these chips !

also will swap magic play all imports or most of them?

Cyberghost, as far as I know the swap magic discs work perfectly with imported games. I have done a good bit of "research" into the whole thing. As well as the swap magic PAL version discs you will need to have either a flip top playstation or slim tool. The advantage of the slim tool (3 tiny pieces of plastic) is that you don't have to open up your playstation, thus rendering your warranty void. Google swap magic and slim tool and you will find all the info you need. I haven't got my PAL version swap magic discs yet, but when they arrive I will let you know how I get on. From all the reading that I have done, nobody really seems to have any problems with playing imported games. Hope this helps - :D

oxis wrote:
    Cyberghost, as far as I know the swap magic discs work perfectly with imported games. I have done a good bit of "research" into the whole thing. As well as the swap magic PAL version discs you will need to have either a flip top playstation or slim tool. The advantage of the slim tool (3 tiny pieces of plastic) is that you don't have to open up your playstation, thus rendering your warranty void. Google swap magic and slim tool and you will find all the info you need. I haven't got my PAL version swap magic discs yet, but when they arrive I will let you know how I get on. From all the reading that I have done, nobody really seems to have any problems with playing imported games. Hope this helps - :D

Cool man, can't wait till you get it :)

especially I'm interested if it will give you full colour/proper tv aspect ratio for imports with a tv that doesn't support ntsc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Egyptian

Ive had Swap Magic for some time know, and it still works for me.
    <edit> on the original PS2 <edit>

theres a slight problem with taking off the front to allow the use of the Tool, cos its been off since i got it, and its catchin loadsa dust, ive started covering it up and it seems to help.

the other thing i cant figure out is, it cant seem to play 'backed up' dvd's (DVD-R , DVD+R), any one else with this problem, or a solution?

Overall its pretty sweet for the price and it saves you voiding your warranty if you havnt had your PS2 for long. Also does it work with the new slimline? i cant see how seen at it has the flip top? would you use a spring like was done for the old Playstation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

why dont you all just get a harddrive ? i dont think you need a mod chip that way !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

is there a rough guide to modchipping a ps2 and what you can do with it afterwards.
    Like adding a HD, or using a media player on it etc.

any suggestions / links would be much appreciated - i just got a ps2 (trade) and am looking to go nuts. I already have a chipped Xbox - and its the best thing i've ever spent money on - for the Xbox media center alone.

anyway - TTFN!

CyberGhost wrote:
    is it true that once you chip your pstwo, you can't play originals and imports online anymore?

No!

• Advertisement

but I heard somewhere that they are banning ips of the chipped consoles on severs?

Thats true to an extent for xbox's .... but not for ps2 as far as I know.

Anyone know for sure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

^whitey^ wrote:
    You can indeed mod the slimline Ps2, www.modchipsireland.com. Chris has a great reputation. I think he posts on boards.ie.

Nice one. I was wondering where you could get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

CyberGhost wrote:
    but I heard somewhere that they are banning ips of the chipped consoles on severs?

Afink the new ones come with an invisible option where you can de-activate the chip and your able to log on to the server.

thats great to hear :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭PADDYPOKER

How much would a HD cost installed for an old version PS2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Mohanned

oxis wrote:

If you edit me PES4 I will do the chip for you

oxis wrote:

hey dude, did they arrive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭sailorboy

carbsy wrote:
    There are a good few modchips that fit the slimline PS2 (v12).The Ripper IV for instance which is available for around 13 or 14 yoyos in bulk from here
    if i bought one actualy 2 random_task was looking for his done also.
    would there be anyone on here handy with a sauldering iron to fit it?

• Advertisement

Hey Cyberghost, apologies for the delay. Everything arrived alright but I am really not convinced that the slim tool stuff is that good. Basically they are just 3 tiny pieces of plastic which fit into the playstation so you don't need to open it up, thus rendering the warranty void. To be honest I ended up opeing up my playstation anyway, I fitted a flip top lid and use the swap magic discs and everything is perfect. I'm sure the slim tools are fine but I just thought it was too much hassle trying to fit them, so I just opened up the playstation and it's perfect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 martyFarty

I got myself a prechipped ps2 slimline only 3 months ago and the lasers burnt out. I got it from http://www.irelands-modchips.com/ and now yer man won't answer my calls or emails. I'd advise anyone not to deal with him. Obviously he didn't bother putting the extra chip in to prent the laser burning out. So now I'm €270 poorer with a broken PS2.
    Does anyone know where I can get a new laser and is there someone else more reliable in Ireland that could put in the anti laser burn-out chip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

The lasers in the Slim PS2s are not very good compared to the last few models of the "big" Ps2. What media were you using? Im pretty sure that guy uses the laser fix too... maybe it was just an early version of the fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Armen Tanzarian

@Marty
    try divineo.co.uk for the parts Ive used them loads of times really quick, He wont answer your calls..., what an asshole, Id fix your pstwo myself only I have exams in 3 weeks.

I'll be steering clear of http://www.irelands-modchips.com/
    sound like a bunch of criminals

Hope you get it sorted

Advertisement