Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3.2 GHz Prescott - Limit?

Options
  • 16-02-2005 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭

I currently have a 2.4GHz P4 running at 3.2GHz, and Im thinking slapping in a new CPU, Im looking at the 3.2GHz Prescott (€225), what kind of speed could I get out of that? I have a Zalman 7000 Heatsink. Or would it make more sense just to buy the 3.0 prescott for €170, would they overclock to a similar speed?

Thanks

Sean.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭DirtyHarry

your probably using the Zalman 7000 all copper heatsink yeah? Well i hope so!

Prescott's run very hot (mini toasters) far more than your 2.4 Northwood.

Id expect no more than a .6 gain on each.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The 3.0 and 3.2 will reach similar limits. It all depends on how fast you want your ram ect. It's the luck of the draw really. I'd say getting it to at least 3.6-3.8 shouldn't be a problem with the newer steppings. You want water to push it higher than that though.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I got an OEM 3.4ghz Skt 478 Prescott off ebay for €200, you can get an OEM 3.4ghz on a Skt 775 for even less €180 ish. If temps a problem you can get a 3.4 Northwood on Skt 478.

I use the Thermalright XP120, prob the best aircooling heatsink around, IF it fits on your mobo.

Inqui

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

I was gonna buy a 3.2 prescott, but i opted for a 3.0ghz, gonna have it on watercooling, im hoping to get about 800mhz overclock on it, dont know if its worth paying the extra to get the 3.2ghz. Id recommend getting the 3.0ghz (seems good value) unless u just want to get the most expensive, then 3.8ghz socket 775 would be good.lol.

Advertisement