Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aertel RSS feed

Options
  • 16-02-2005 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Anyone know if there is such a thing???
    Or how i might go about scanning the aertel site for the tv listings??
    or better stuill is there ANY site / service that provides this up-to-date info?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

you can use xmltv to grab xmltv listings from radiotimes.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭oneweb

I hereby endorse this product and/or service :)
    WEEKS of advance program listings, constantly updated.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Funkygreendogs

I should of added that i intend to display this information on a visual basic program im making, so any program that does it for me is useless

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This won't be pretty, but if you are using VB then maybe look at using the MS XML Parser - this can get the contents of a page and return it in a string. Check out this article on ASPFAQ.com. If it suits what you are looking for, it should be easy enough to implement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Funkygreendogs

Yea man i know what your on about, ive source code that does that already, but its only good for rss feeds, so it can grab information between the <title> and </title> headings, but the thing is, for a plain .html file its impossible to scan the string and find a unique character or word, that signifies the start of the text you are looking for. Like on the aertel .html file, if i scan the html and add it as a string then scan the string for the info, i need to grab just the films and maybe a description or two, but also drop all the crap out of it like <b> </b> tags, this is seriously hard coz there is nothing unique to signify the start of what im looking for or the end. ( hope you understood all that :) )
    now if they had some reference to a special CSS style for the film titles or something like that it might be possible but there is none on their site....
    Any ideas???? im all ears

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I know exactly what you are talking about - I wrote a similar application a couple of years ago, and spent half my time stripping out HTML, it was very annoying.

TBH, it sounds like you are going to have problems unless you can find a feed out there that has exactly the information you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Use xmltv that i linked to earlier, there's loads of programs at that link, so it must be relatively easy to design programs around. Basically there's no need for you to be stripping aertel web pages, the radiotimes xmltv feed provides all the data you need (including irish channels) ..sigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 chunga668

I have a working demo of an Aertel feed at my site http://RossN.Com
    I'm sorry I cannot allow you to see anything but page 101 due to copyrite restrictions.
    On RTE.IE they clearly state that you can use their data for personal use.
    The code will be posted in the downloads area of RossN.Com later tonight.
    Here's the link...
    http://rossn.com/aertel/index.php?page=101

It's pretty clean but there are some errors here and there.
    Someone above mentioned that they don't really have any clear delimiters on their HTML to let you know where the data begins.
    This makes parsing it a bit difficult.
    I used PHP to build this but if you have a bit of RegEX & basic XML you could do it in just about any language.
    Have Fun!
    RossN

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

XMLTV gets an xml feed from radiotimes so you can probably do the same, get their xml file, which should then be easy to parse into whatever form you need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement