Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATI's next graphics card possible specs.

Options
  • 16-02-2005 9:58pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭

Let you in on a little rumor going round the net. It its anyway near true those who splashed out on SLI may cringe!

24 "Pipelines"
    32 Texture Units
    96 Arithmetic Logic Units (ALU)
    192 Shader Operations per Cycle
    700MHz Core
    134.4 Billion Shader Operations per Second (at 700MHz)
    256-bit 512MB 1.8GHz GDDR3 Memory
    57.6 GB/sec Bandwidth (at 1.8GHz)
    300-350 Million Transistors
    90nm Manufacturing
    Shader Model 3.0
    ATI HyperMemory
    ATI Multi Rendering Technology (AMR)
    Launch: Q2 2005
    Performance: Over 3x Radeon X800 XT !!! (for single R520)
    16x stochastic FSAA
    FP32 blending, texturing
    Programmable Primitive Processor/Tesselator

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Cost €1000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm tellin ya, If I knew what that ment I'd be impressed !!

• Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

It means if those specs are true it would be twice as fast as an nvidia SLI rig with 2 6800 Ultra's which is very fast as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭DirtyHarry

it wont be anywhere near that, ATI would be shoting themselves in the foot.....geez like there still selling 9800 Pro's! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Thats the R520 aint it? Cant wait for it to be release. I almost went with SLI but at the last minute decided to wait what ATI's responce is towards nVidia SLI. I'm hoping that they will release AMR real soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

those specs are just about physically impossible. i.e. to fit that much functionality into the chip, it would need alot more than 350million transistors, and also therefore have 0 chance of reaching that clock speed.

No one actually knows what the source is, and it looks like a fanboy's ideal of a next card.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Depending on the process, it's possible.
    700Mhz will be the launch flagship card, with the usual mid-range and budget derivatives 3 months later and the "Ultra" revamp 6 months after launch.

no it would not be possible to do those specs with that amount of transistors unless they were able to cut the amount of transistors used in the alu's and texturing units to a third or less, regardless of process.

You're normally fairly clued up syxpak, but to imply that reducing to a 90nm process means that a chip needs less transistors is stupid. If they could do more with less transistors, than die shrinks would not be needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

For that its worth hoping :D

But realistically ATI are gonna need a beast card to compete with the 2x 6800U setup and a vgood next card is a must for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭dixsey

I reckon you could be right about those specs, ati need something big to answer nvidia,s sli technology

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

dixsey wrote:
    I reckon you could be right about those specs, ati need something big to answer nvidia,s sli technology

I'm with astro on this one, no way, no chance, not a hope in hell it's that good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

TacT wrote:
    I'm with astro on this one, no way, no chance, not a hope in hell it's that good!

Prob not but theres a good chance that itll be amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I'd like to see when they actually end up in the shops! ATI just pulled their X850XT cards. Seems like they just cant make cards anymore. This is after the X850XT being the card that would "end availability problems". Don't think I could get my hopes up for an ATI card again, all of their recent cards have been paper launches just to get some good reviews on the net.

• Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

Actually I have found the X800XT's and X850XT's in stock easy enough. If anything I found the nvidia 6800ultra's but harder to get and more expensive and there slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

ya there fairly hard to find alright, but not to much more than other top end hardware. Got my X850XT from Overclockers.co.uk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

how the hell are you going to power that thing????

if it should have those specs, you woul dbe looking at a PC.
    Plus 1.8GHz Memory??? my Ar$e!!!
    your would probably be looking a 120+ Watts just for the graphicscard.
    but you would totally create a bottleneck, as the mainboard/northbridge, woudl be able to supply that tranferrate, even in PCI-E
    I know that the new chip is going to rock bigtime, plus who really needs SLI sofar.
    Nvidia are just using a technology they spent a fortune on in the past when they bought 3DFX and expect that everybody spends 1000 Euros just for games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Why not? That's not even doubling performance on an x800xt. The x800xt almost doubled performance over the 9800xt. It's not that hard to beleive.
    Don't think I could get my hopes up for an ATI card again, all of their recent cards have been paper launches just to get some good reviews on the net.

At least the cards are still good. Nvidia are lucky to still be in the market after the dire fx range.
    how the hell are you going to power that thing????

if it should have those specs, you woul dbe looking at a PC.
    Plus 1.8GHz Memory??? my Ar$e!!!
    your would probably be looking a 120+ Watts just for the graphicscard.
    but you would totally create a bottleneck, as the mainboard/northbridge, woudl be able to supply that tranferrate, even in PCI-E

Your already looking at 120+w for a graphics card, this might push 150w but so what. It's not like you can't get a 480w psu.

It won't even come close to maxing out the bandwidth of pci-e. Even the top end cards at the moment don't max out agp 8x.

I'm not saying it's true but by all means it is possible.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

i dont think they will jump that far with the next cards, as x800's are still selling at high price. Are they bringing out dual core gpus??? like the new dual core cpus coming out?? do they have a plan to do that?? now that would be cool

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Dual cores would be nice, would probably kill/nearly kill Sli as well. Though they would run way to hot, they will need to drop the micron to maybe 0.065, Prescott's run very hot at 0.09 and the x850xt run even hotter, so Gpu dual cores will probably be a while yet.

I suppose heat is a major problem, x800s run really hot . Why dont they bring out motherbaords with gpu sockets on it, like a cpu socket, so you could upgrade your gpu manually and have a proper hsf on it . Also wouldnt it be quicker as it wouldnt be limited to agp or pciE speeds, you could also have ddr slots for the ram, so you can upgrade that to what ever you want, hehehe, i will keep dreaming , lol :D

• Advertisement

well seeing as the specs say "3x performance of X800XT" !, your point is kinda moot DubDVD. Also, the x800xt isn't twice as fast as a 9800XT performance wise anyway......

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

the x800xt isn't twice as fast as a 9800XT performance wise anyway

I would say it is twice as fast as the 9800XT, look at Doom3, Half-Life 2 and Farcry etc at 1600*1200 and it is at least twice as fast.
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/2004-27gpu2_3.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

BabyEater wrote:
    I would say it is twice as fast as the 9800XT, look at Doom3, Half-Life 2 and Farcry etc at 1600*1200 and it is at least twice as fast.
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/2004-27gpu2_3.html

But its only 2twice as fast when you play them games at 1600*1200 Res. But most people are prob playing at 1024*768 Res.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

Thats beacause they are CPU limited at lower resolutions the higher the resolution the more the graphics card has to work so the more we se the difference in performance

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

well seeing as the specs say "3x performance of X800XT" !, your point is kinda moot DubDVD. Also, the x800xt isn't twice as fast as a 9800XT performance wise anyway......

It was my point. Like the benchmarks show it is pretty much twice as fast with AA and AF on or at higher resolutions.
    But its only 2twice as fast when you play them games at 1600*1200 Res. But most people are prob playing at 1024*768 Res.

If your willing to spend 500-600e on a graphics card most people will be playing at at least 1280x1024 with max aa and af. Decent monitors aren't expensive these days.

BloodBath

BloodBath wrote:

If your willing to spend 500-600e on a graphics card most people will be playing at at least 1280x1024 with max aa and af. Decent monitors aren't expensive these days.

BloodBath

That is so true, most people these days are playing @ 1280x1024, as you wouldnt be spending that kind of cash on a graphics card to play at lower res

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Yeah, it's just plain stupid to high end card's performance at 1024 and lower. My 6800gt is incredibly CPU limited even at 1280x1024 4xAA 8xAF.

Looks like Zardon from Driverheaven testing a new card. Its likely to be from ATI. It does 3DMark02 40k on stock speed :)

http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?t=68684

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

well i just hope it is that :p

because it will be what im buying

im holding off going to s939...till dual core cpus are out..then ill just get a nice dual core cpu and that baby....

im on strike ..im not going SLi...god dammit im not! :D

• Advertisement

Check this out too, 512MB on ATI's next card?

http://www.theinq.com/?article=21382

Advertisement