Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setanta get the rights to the Bundesliga, The Eredivisie and the Championnat

• 16-02-2005 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭

Setanta make further progress

February 16, 2005

The premium rate sports channel, Setanta Sports, which already offered coverage of Scottish Premier League and English Premiership football, has signed broadcast rights for the German Bundesliga, the Dutch Eredivisie and the French Championnat for next season.

The Irish-based channel, which has now become a seven-day operation, also offers extensive coverage of the forthcoming Setanta Cup competition.

The tournament, will see six clubs from either side of the Irish border participate in a ground-breaking new development between March and May, has been sponsored by the Setanta firm and will carry an overall prize fund of more than €300,000.

And subscribers, who have already been able to access SPL football and Celtic League and schools rugby, can now look forward to a first season of exclusive coverage of the Formula 1 world championship as well as live coverage of football from a total of five leagues around Europe, including Premiership coverage on Saturday afternoons.

Setanta Sports chief Niall Cogley was delighted with the latest announcement of increased sports coverage and extended scheduling.

He said: “Six months ago we had nothing, we had no studies, no cameras or programmes. Here we are six months later saying we have arrived and prepared to be compared with the best of the other broadcasters.”

Founded in the early 1990s, Setanta has offices in Dublin, Glasgow, London, San Francisco and Sydney.

Excellent news. I'm really impressed by this channel, they're showing some good quality stuff and hopefully plenty of domestic football as well. Well worth subscribing too (Though even better when it's free :p )

The Dutch stuff will be great I reckon, espically when the big teams meet, you'll get to see all the future stars of Holland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Its still on Europort atm , Sky alledgley have Seria A for next season.

Few years ago the total football channel was touted getting closer and closer.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Slash/ED wrote:
    Excellent news. I'm really impressed by this channel, they're showing some good quality stuff and hopefully plenty of domestic football as well. Well worth subscribing too (Though even better when it's free :p )

The Dutch stuff will be great I reckon, espically when the big teams meet, you'll get to see all the future stars of Holland.

How much is subscription, Is it free with NTL or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

free with ntl ,€15 a month with sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The Muppet wrote:
    How much is subscription, Is it free with NTL or something?
    Yeah, free on NTL. If you have Sky digital give Setanta a call and you can get a months free sub/trial. The deadline is up soon for that deal afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Is it really 15? I thought it was only 10, but yeah it's free with NTL. You can get a month free if you sign up for it at any time during this month I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭radiospan

eirebhoy wrote:
    Yeah, free on NTL. If you have Sky digital give Setanta a call and you can get a months free sub/trial. The deadline is up soon for that deal afaik.

Interesting, didn't know that. Do you know when that deal expires? It would be nice to get a free trial to coincide with the Setanta Cup next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

plazzTT wrote:
    Interesting, didn't know that. Do you know when that deal expires? It would be nice to get a free trial to coincide with the Setanta Cup next month.

It runs until the 28th I think. It's around then anyway, give them a ring or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Slash/ED wrote:
    It runs until the 28th I think. It's around then anyway, give them a ring or something.
    does any one know there number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

snoopdog wrote:
    does any one know there number

would you like us to dial then numbers for you aswell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

FYI - I've got 2 soccer channels over here in the US. Fox Soccer Channels shows the Premiership, German, Dutch, French, MLS and Brazilian Leagues, while Gol TV shows Serie A, La Liga, and a few more. makes a big change from just a few years ago. Setanta are supposed to starting a channel later in the year over here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Is setanta staying free on ntl or will it eventually go subscription like on sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

I hope not, fair play setanta.Im looking forward to the dutch and french games and to a lesser extent the german games.Also now that they have formula one does that mean its off RTE 1's agenda then?
    I for one hope setanta stays free on the NTL network.
    How about showing more games from the LOI.The upcoming setanta cup should be great viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

With so much football on free TV next season through NTL - CL, Premiership, FA Cup, SPL and now Dutch, French and German leagues I'm seriously considering dropping Sky Sports next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

SteM wrote:
    With so much football on free TV next season through NTL - CL, Premiership, FA Cup, SPL and now Dutch, French and German leagues I'm seriously considering dropping Sky Sports next season.

Have to admit I have considered the same as I,m not sky's biggest Fan. I have been looking into alternatives and there is a lot available away from sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

I really just use Sky Sports for the footy and other bits and pieces. I cancel it during the summer and don't really miss it so I'm going to try and not re-subscribe next August, I'll use web feeds for the games I really want to see.

Of course by the time next season starts I'll probably be so desperate for football that I'll cave and resub!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The Eredivise is complete muck and the Bundesliga is dull as ditchwater. Le Championnat is at least more competitive and the emphasis is more on skill than lumping the ball about . I get all three, but would gladly swap them all for a couple of La Liga/Serie A/Premiership games a month. Well, at least there's MOTD. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I notice that Setanta UK is showing a live Bundesliga match this Sunday afternoon — Mönchengladbach -VS- Schalke. I hope they manage to get some live ones on the Irish version this season.
    KdjaC wrote:
    Sky alledgley have Seria A for next season.
    Really? I didn't hear that but it does make sense, as British Eurosport's live coverage deal expires at the end of this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Is setanta staying free on ntl or will it eventually go subscription like on sky?
    Since its available, not just on NTL digital, but also on analog, I don't think its possible for it to become sub unless they only make it available to digital customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Trust me you're gonna end up paying for Setanta fairly soon. They are gonna charge for a Setanta + Espn package costing along the lines of Sky Sports.

No such thing as a free lunch in this country lads !!!!

Why did they take Eurosport away from us? Because it was showing too much football and not enough people were signing up for Sky Sports. Their official line is that they wanted to give us CNBC as we "needed" another news channel to rival Sky News (now that is complete cack) :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

BolBill wrote:
    Trust me you're gonna end up paying for Setanta fairly soon. They are gonna charge for a Setanta + Espn package costing along the lines of Sky Sports

Not sure about the ESPN aspect of it, NASN already take the majority of their programing straight from ESPN.

Maybe they got rid of Eurosport cos it was S**TE, too much tractor pulling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

por wrote:
    Maybe they got rid of Eurosport cos it was S**TE, too much tractor pulling

I think Eurosport is pretty good. Plenty of highlights of European matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Shamrok wrote:
    I think Eurosport is pretty good. Plenty of highlights of European matches.

Ignore por (or should it be poor :rolleyes: !!!) Eurosport was deadly.

Advertisement