Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CarVan vs Car? Where is the line drawn?

Options
  • 16-02-2005 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi,

This is probably a dumb question but here goes;

Is there such a thing as a vehicle that has a carvan clasification and the rear windows are panelled up but the back seats are still in it yet its legally clasified as a carvan.

Take the Ford Focus carvan for example, can you buy one with the rear seats still in it? Or any other vehicles that would fit the bill?

TIA. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Phryxus

Well you could take out the back seats and panel up the windows, get it registered as a commercial vehicle and then put the seats back in, If you get in a crash or something you'd be in a bad position but It's your choice. I know someone who did that and got caught and he got in lots of trouble, aint drivin now that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

Phryxus wrote:
    Well you could take out the back seats and panel up the windows, get it registered as a commercial vehicle and then put the seats back in, If you get in a crash or something you'd be in a bad position but It's your choice. I know someone who did that and got caught and he got in lots of trouble, aint drivin now that's for sure.
    So basically theres no such thing as a legal carvan with seats in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Phryxus

Well you could put panels in a normal car and leave the seats in but you couldn't insure it as a commercial vehicle. If that's what you're asking. Or if you're asking if there are production cars with two rows of seats and a big boot, well we both know what they're called don't we?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

Phryxus thanks for the confirmation. Kind of thought as much myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think insurance companies have some sort of policy with regards carvans. This was brought about when the Fiesta Flair van and Renault 19 Supervan were bought for private use a number of years ago by every Joe in the country who put 2 or 3 people in the rear. I think it was a safety issue.

Premiums went sky high for people with these type of vans that didn't use it for business purposes and as far as I know they would not insure the vehicle if there were seats retro fitted in the rear. I don't know if there is actually a law governing this or if it is just a standard policy that insurance companies agreed on.

Anyway carvans such as the Focus, Corolla or Xsara are nearly as expensive as their car equivilants unless you are in a legit business and can claim the VAT back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement