Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scooters

Options
  • 16-02-2005 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I'm thinking of buying my first scooter. Anyone got any suggestions? I was thinking of an Ovetto but I'm open to suggestions. I heard that the Aerox is very good security wise and that an Area 51 has good handling. Also does anyone know anything about scooter training, if such thing even exists. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I'm assuming you are talking about mopeds, as in 50cc?

If so, I got a Yamaha Spy when I was 16 and it ran perfectly. I never had any problems with it. Also, you don't tend to see them getting sold second hand very often because they are such a good scooter that nobody wants to part with 'em.

That was five years ago, new models might've come out at this stage I'm presuming so I dunno :)

As regards scooter training, there's no need - it's like riding a bike with stabilisers. I just got up on it and went!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Phryxus

The only scooter I've ever seen that made me look twice is the honda shadow 50, Looks kinda evil with a big head lamp and chrome bits, It's more of a retro look obviously but If I had to get a scooter It'd be one of these.

http://pictures.trader.pl/pictures/7/3/4/DMS-20199-72-484-1.JPG

http://pictures.trader.pl/pictures/5/2/3/DMS-20199-72-484-2.JPG

http://pictures.trader.pl/pictures/6/7/8/DMS-20199-72-484-3.JPG

Only ever seen one in Ireland but I didn't go looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Honda x8rs and honda x8rx are great little bikes , id recommend steering clear of the suzuki katanas , me and my frend both had em an had wicked hassle with them
    The honda are dear enough 2500 in or around but for the sake of an extra few hundred they look a hell of a lot better than the ovetto`s more sturdy or something.
    Im selling my x8rx in a few weeks moving on to a car, If your still lookin then gimme a pm , :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I had an ET2 they're a bit crap because they're quite heavy and don't handle that well - the pressed metal will also be ruined if you drop it or get in any scrapes. My VanVan is actually lighter and easier to handle than the Vespa... Ovetto's are reliable enough - I know a few people who had them for years and never had any probs...
    You can get training in the ISM - well done for thinking of training btw!! I did some lessons with these guys and they thought me loads even though I'd been driving for 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

When i got my 1st ped 4 years ago i didnt even know you could get lessons , my dad just said a get up on it and drive it the worst that can happen is you`ll fall off and mark the panels :rolleyes: but it worked for me , managed to hit a wall turning the very 1st day , all good after that though aside from a coulpe of broken fingers , there just so cheap to run from week to week though which is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    When i got my 1st ped 4 years ago i didnt even know you could get lessons , my dad just said a get up on it and drive it the worst that can happen is you`ll fall off and mark the panels :rolleyes: but it worked for me , managed to hit a wall turning the very 1st day , all good after that though aside from a coulpe of broken fingers , there just so cheap to run from week to week though which is great.

Heehee my dad was the same with the scooter and the bike - he taught me how to ride with gears in the lane at the top of the road!! The first ever "lesson" he gave me was to get on and walk myself around in circles to get used to the weight of the vespa!! Ah the memories!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Mr. Brightside

Tk123 did you have to use your own moped for the ISM training or did they supply one. Also how much did it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The IRTA (Irish Rider Training Assoc.) provide training for all powerd two wheelers...

It's always better to do training than not. Even after 1 lesson, you'll figure out how little you knew... For the IRTA I think you'd have to supply your own bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I'm thinking of buying my first scooter. Anyone got any suggestions? I was thinking of an Ovetto but I'm open to suggestions. I heard that the Aerox is very good security wise and that an Area 51 has good handling. Also does anyone know anything about scooter training, if such thing even exists. Cheers.

Are you still after a Scooter? Im selling my Derbi Atlantis 50cc 03 will give you a good deal, its served me well, got it from new and have had bags of fun on it. Im moving up to 125cc & hoping to get an Aprilia Atlantic.

Click on my Signature link if your intrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Phryxus wrote:
    The only scooter I've ever seen that made me look twice is the honda shadow 50, Looks kinda evil with a big head lamp and chrome bits, It's more of a retro look obviously but If I had to get a scooter It'd be one of these.

http://pictures.trader.pl/pictures/7/3/4/DMS-20199-72-484-1.JPG

http://pictures.trader.pl/pictures/5/2/3/DMS-20199-72-484-2.JPG

http://pictures.trader.pl/pictures/6/7/8/DMS-20199-72-484-3.JPG

Only ever seen one in Ireland but I didn't go looking.

Dat bike looks crazy, looks kinda like a Aprilia Habana!

Aprilia Habana

Habana

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Phryxus

IMHO the shadow has a cooler name, aside from that I'm sure they perform pretty much the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I had an Aerox for two years and it did not give me any hassle at all. It is a great little bike, and i would highly recommend one. As long as you buy one that hasnt been trashed by some scumbag you will be sorted ;)

I went to south africa for just over three weeks when i had mine, i left it out the back of my house for the whole time and when i got home it started first time. It's a very reliable bike as long as its serviced when its meant to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

I wouldnt recommend the ovetto, they are just the slowest things on the road, max speed of like 40mph (62kmh). Is say id would just be annoying after a bit. Generally all the moped are the same. I had a piaggio nrg something, very reliable, never broke down and had good speed. Bit of a schwer mobile though. The aerox is pretty good also the suzuki zillion always appealled to me.

Advertisement