Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i'm so con fuss'd

Options
  • 16-02-2005 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

this may sound weird but why do get that excited/uncomfortable feeling when i thin about whats beyond the universe or the point in which the universe ceases to expand, if the statement "everything that has a beginning must have an end"

WHAT THE F*CK WOULD THE END OF THE UNIVERSE BE LIKE?!?!? :confused:

ANY THOUGHTS?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Either the current expansion is unopposed and eventually the univserse expands to a point where all is dark and undergoes a heat death when everything decays to heat, or the expansion is opposed and the universe collapeses back in a big crunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

We could be one of many Universes. I think we will just have to sit here and think about it. It would take us long enough to get out of our Solar System, never mind beyond that. I wouldn't worry about it. There is plenty to think about inside the Universe to keep you going for a long time, a lot longer than you will be here. Start here and work your way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Geoffw

As I can't get my mind around it, I'd rather not think about it :)

Geoff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bigman

ya know we hear oof the "big bang" so to speak, what was before the big bang, sorry bout my curiosity!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Last I heard the universe was expanding and Protons Decay with a half life of ~ 10^33 years. so things will thin out a fair bit - sort of a fizzle

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jcv/imb/imb.html

Black holes will outlast most protons but they too will evaporate until they fall below the schwartzchild limit and explode..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bigman wrote:
    ya know we hear oof the "big bang" so to speak, what was before the big bang, sorry bout my curiosity!!!
    there wasn't a before
    well if there was then we could not have gone there and there wasn't even a vacuum , IIRC hawkings equations only worked if you used imaginery time so instead of a point at the end of a time line at the start you get a curve whatever that means in real terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

there wasn't a before
    well if there was then we could not have gone there and there wasn't even a vacuum , IIRC hawkings equations only worked if you used imaginery time so instead of a point at the end of a time line at the start you get a curve whatever that means in real terms.

My understanding is that the bigbang didn't just make matter and energy, but also began space time, so in essence there was nothing there.

As for the edge of the universe, you have to qualify the question. There is no defined edge to the matter in the universe, so far it looks a bit like a photograph of a firework going off. According to recent calculations they have concluded that not only is the expansion not slowing down (so no big crunch) it is actually getting faster. There isn't enough matter in the universe to hold it together with gravitational force, so eventually eveything will be spread so far apart so as to be completely meaningless, of course most stars will have been depleted of energy at that stage.

As for the edge of space itself, they have concluded there is probably no such thing. Again witht he calculations, that have discovered that there isnt enough gravity to cause space to bend back in on itself so its not circular, meaning there is no defineable edge to thew universe no matter how you put it.

Of couse if space is infinite then theres no reason to believe that there couldnt have been other big bangs elsewhere in existence. Of course they'd be billions and billions of light years away so it would be billions and billions of years before the light reached us and even then it might be SO far away that assembling an image would be impossible.

This pseudo scientiffic rant was brought to you by the conglomerate of Gary, caffein and sleep deprivation.

there must of been a before, i know we couldn't of gone there it would be impossible!
    my understanding was that the universe must be contained like our planet is contained in the universe!

SORRY IF I SEeM TO BE TALKIN THROUGH ME ARSE HERE!

As I understood it the equations of time that Hawkings proposed mean that you don't have a simple linear time line where you can go back to zero and then before. It's a curve using imaginary numbers so you can't get back before the big bang.

ok.............
    i really understood what you just said!

let me just enlighten you on my situation:
    i'm 17,don't do physics, has no knowledge of the theory's of astronomy,space,time or dimensions, only an interest in geography
    and an active imagination!

of course its impossible to get back before the big bang!that was never the question, the question was:what was before it?

Ah i'm sorry

eh time-travel?
    possibilities?

ah Stupid me!

• Advertisement

bigman wrote:
    the question was:what was before it?
    The simple answer - There was no before.

It's like asking what people used to read before any form of writing was invented.

Advertisement