Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing dogs from U.S.A.?

• 17-02-2005 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know the procedure and quarantine for bringing pups in from the U.S.? I am hoping to get one or two dogs from a breeder over there next year. I read recently that the quaratine laws no longer apply if the dog flies into the UK and has been fully vaccinated against rabies for 6 months. Now, obviously, if I was bringing in a puppy, it wouldn't be 6 months old, it would be around 12-14 weeks, and then only just vaccinated at 12 weeks. So, am I supposed to wait until the dog is 8 months old before getting it transported to the uk, and then on to Ireland? Seems kind of sucky...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

See http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/index.jsp?file=pets/index.xml. This is primarily intended for people who live abroad to bring their pets to Ireland when they come here to live, or to allow Irish people to take their pets with them on holidays abroad, but I'm sure it would also apply in this case. If not call the Dept. of Agriculture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Why would you want to put a puppy under the stress of a flight from America?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Because I like torturing small animals.

Seriously, it's not majorly stressful at all. The reason I want to get these dogs is that it's a specific breed that can't be found outside the U.S. Hundreds of dogs, cats, horses are shipped to and from the states every day, the stress, if you find a good (and I mean really good) animal shipping service, is minimal. That goes for puppies too, they don't much care that for 8 hours their crate is on a plane instead of in the utility room at home. Shipping animals across the world means we can now have breeds of each dog worldwide, and indeed, you should check out the different breed societies of all domestic animals, they all have bases in the U.S., UK, EU, Japan etc etc. How do you think they get performance horses and dogs to shows worldwide? They don't do it haphazardly, chucking the animal on a plane and hoping for the best, they take every precaution so that on landing, the animal can be relaxed enough to perform as soon as quaratine laws allow (different times than normal animals).
    Please don't try and do the guilt trip thing if you really don't know the facts. It's no more stressful than spending a day indoors with strangers. Most dogs are very able to cope with that. What they do find difficult to cope with, is 6 months of quaratine, which I would not be happy about, and thus would not import the dogs.

Thank you Alun for the link, I'll have to ring around to get specifics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

just out of curiosty, can i ask what type of dogs your looking for?

You can indeed. They are Native American Indian dogs, and there are only 4 registered breeders, all in America. I know one of the breeders has exported to Europe before, but I haven't spoken to her yet as I would actually prefer dogs from a different breeder that I have already been in contact with.

http://www.terrapines.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

they're beautiful. ive seen people that have wolf/dog hybrids. these must be right along those lines.

Actually, I thought that too, but they're not really. They are decendents of the dogs the Native Americans had before white man arrived. So in a way they are decendents of wolves, but much in the same way as a german shepherd. They don't have wolf blood in them anymore, but they have the look for sure. They are extremely dependable, and great with children (and also have non-allergenic fur), whereas the Wolf Hybrids are not as dependable. I knew two, and they were both absolutely great, but other people I know had some, and they were quite unpredictable. I tend to stay away from wild animal hybrids, (with the possible exception of the Bengal cat, but even then I'm not sure), because there will always be that wild element in them.
    They are so beautiful though, and I am *somewhat* interested in breeding, provided the breeder approves, and I can find good homes before I breed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Keep us posted on how you get on....especially with the importing and breeding of these dogs.
    I'm waiting till my youngest is at least another year older and then we are going to consider getting a dog for both our boys. I had a German Shepherd when I was younger and would love to get a long-haired one, but looking at the pictures of these dogs and the write ups about them, it's a shame they are almost extinct.

Are you looking at the short haired or long haired ones? I particularly like the black & white/grey ones.

I think the fact that their hair is hypoallergneic and they don't have that dog smell will sway the wife over...she's not really a dog lover but she's 3 against 1 in the house.

Will do, although I don't anticipate getting one before next year due to space issues in our current house. When we move out we intend to get lots more animals. That's why I'm getting all the information about importing now. They are such beautiful dogs, and provided the breeders give me the go ahead for a breeding pair, I intend to breed at least one litter. If the breeders would prefer that I don't breed, that's fine, and I'd probably just get two males and neuter them.
    I prefer the shorter haired steel grey and grey/white ones, have a look at "Nacoma" on the previous litters page, at a year old she is exactly the type of dog I'm hoping to get. Everything depends on whether we get planning permission, but I'll post here when I do decide to get them sent over.

Advertisement