Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good first car?

Options
  • 17-02-2005 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭

I'm learning to drive at the moment and was just wondering if anyone could recommend the best cars to start off with? I'm looking at a couple of Fiat Puntos, though I've also been told a Ford Fiesta or Renault Clio is good. Also are there any I should avoid like the plague?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭ibanez

A Ford Fiesta would suit you best.The engines are unbreakable, They handle well on the road,Cheap to fix and they have excellent all round visibility very important for a learner driver.Avoid the Fiat Punto,Nissan Micra,Any Citroen or Peugot they eat head gaskets.The opel corsa is ok as is the Renault Clio But the Ford Fiesta is best. Good luck with what ever you pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I learned to drive & passed my test (just a few weeks ago) in a Corsa (02), and currently drive a fiesta zetec (00). Can't fault either car besides the tiny engines, but at my age you can't afford to insure anything bigger :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

What about a toyota yaris?

Ultimately it depends on what your budget is like

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭ibanez

Yaris is a good car but the rear window is tiny its like a letter box.Plus the equivalent Ford or Opel Are cheaper to run and repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would avoid the Punto altogether as most Punto parts have a "use by" date of 12 months. My cousin has a 02 from new and it has broke her heart, she is currently trying to get rid of it but finding it hard to trade it in against anything decent. My neighbour's young son of 18 bought a 99 Punto recently as a first car and I have seen it been toed away to a mechanic a couple of times. He has been thrown into the world of motoring at the deep end with his Punto.

Best stick to the popular choices, ie Fiesta, Micra, Yaris and Polo.

Fiesta - old model is very common and a good low milage one can be picked at a reasonable price. Best model to get is the 1.25 Zetec or Ghia. Avoid the 1.3 engine as it is really a very old design. Parts are cheap and generally the Fiesta is a good first car.

Micra - old model Micra comes in 1.0, not my cup of tea but as a first car this may suit you. Very reliable and durable, has power steering but has a bad image as a makeshift boyracer mobile. Probably comes with its own baseball cap too and go faster stripes. biggrin.gif

Yaris - Again a popular first car if your budget can stretch to one. Very reliable and 1.0 is surprisingly nippy for it's size. Rear seat can move forward and back if needed. Digital instruments take a bit of getting used to, very economical and durable little car hence resale values are high.

Polo - Another popular first car because very little goes wrong with them. The 1.0 50bhp engine is very underpowered (almost to the point of dangerous) and struggles with the heavy body. Old model didn't get power steering or central locking until 2000. Prices can be way overpriced especially at VW stealers and parts are also expensive from dealers. New model from 2002 is much more roomier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

ibanez wrote:
    A Ford Fiesta would suit you best.
    bazz26 wrote:
    Fiesta - old model is very common and a good low milage one can be picked at a reasonable price. Best model to get is the 1.25 Zetec or Ghia. Avoid the 1.3 engine as it is really a very old design. Parts are cheap and generally the Fiesta is a good first car.

Second that.
    ibanez wrote:
    Avoid the Fiat Punto, any Citroen or Peugot they eat head gaskets.

Second that as well.

You could do much, much worse (and very easily so) than a 2nd-hand Zetec Fiesta, low miles, one retiree owner :) - the absolute bestest starter car ever IMHO.

PS: Avoid the fastest car in the world, though ("what's one of those?" I hear murmurs on the Forum... : an xr2i with two young lads in it :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

ambro25 wrote:
    Avoid the fastest car in the world, though ("what's one of those?" I hear murmurs on the Forum... : an xr2i with two young lads in it :D)

:confused:

Errrrrrrrr....

Anyway.... :) Yeah, a Fiesta's a great lil car! I had one and i loved it! Zetec engines are brilliant, powerful and economial! ZZZzzzzzZ And... !She'll stick to the road like poo to a nappy!

pants.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭exactiv

Polo - Another popular first car because very little goes wrong with them. The 1.0 50bhp engine is very underpowered (almost to the point of dangerous) and struggles with the heavy body. Old model didn't get power steering or central locking until 2000. Prices can be way overpriced especially at VW stealers and parts are also expensive from dealers. New model from 2002 is much more roomier.

I have a Seat Arosa 1.0 '98. It has the same engine as the polo mentioned above but it's lighter cos it's smaller. It could do with a 6th gear for motorway cruising, but it manages fine.
    It's a good little car, very reliable (as most of the parts are VW or Audi) but the lack of power steering can be a pain. My girlfriend drives it too and she hates the lack of power steering.

It's also quite small in the back. You wouldn't want to be taking people in the back for more than 2hrs at a time. You should be able to pick up a 99/00 model for less than 4500euro with power steering & about 40-50k on the clock. If you decide to buy, beware of dents in the doors (cos they're big and heavy) and make sure all the locks are in working order and not stiff (i've had to have my drivers lock replaced at a cost of 80 euro).

I've driven it from Cork to Edinburgh and back comfortably with one passenger and a full car load of stuff from Ikea and it was no problem.

Hope this helps.

Ex.

p.s. I'm selling my '98 if you're interested! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

AlienGav wrote:

Question: What's the fastest car in the world?

Reply: a Fiesta XR2i with two young lads in it.

;) - or do you need me to explain the joke further?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

I am selling my 00D Fiesta 1.25 Zetec Ghia at the moment. You can drop me a note here or PM me.

It's a good car and I know it's priced well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

Thanks everyone, you've all helped me make up my mind about the Punto anyway!
    I'd love a Yaris but being a student I dont think the budget will stretch that far...
    I'll be on the look out for a nice little Fiesta so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

You could always look at a Mazda 121, basically the same as a Fiesta, I'm not sure if they use the same engines though, someone else would probably know.

The Mazda 121 was basically a Fiesta with a Mazda badge but sold in very small numbers here. Plus I think they only came in one trim level which was very basic and I think only had that horrible 1.3 8v engine. Best stick to the Fiesta, more choice, and some models such as the Ghia have air con. The 1.25 16v engine is a Yamaha designed engine and is definately the one to get.

Here are a few examples:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200749

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=185661

Better off with an '00 model fiesta zetec - you get alloy wheels and a nicer looking front end into the bargain.

I think they made some ride/suspension changes too. I have the 00 model with the new front (I think you can get 00's with the old nose) and it's a great little car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I've had two fiestas, they're great little cars, cheap and cheerful, reliable, fairly stylish, comfy. The Ghia model above could be a great buy at the right price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

if you are looking at a 02' or newer polo have a look at the Seat Ibiza, much better spec and built on the same chassis with the same power plants, although the 1.2 Seat has the 64bhp engine where by some of the 1.2's in the Polo had a 55bhp engine.

The Ibiza is a little cheaper and has a much better standard spec inside. Also they were the What Car, 'Car of the Year 2003'

You'd never guess I drive one!!

I thought the Ibiza was the VW Golf equivalent in the Seat range? Arosa is more polo-like.

Nope, the Arosa is the same as the Lupo. The Ibiza is based on the Polo and the Leon/Toledo are based on the Mk IV Golf/Bora.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Whats going on here, the Punto is excellent value for money. It has unburstable engine. It's the most boring car in the world, and is the cheapest entry into motoring.

• Advertisement

I have owned a FIAT and have had trouble and I know plenty of people who have Puntos and all have had trouble with them.

Remember, you are looking at 36k timing belt changes on them.

I would replace "good value" with "cheap".
    They are cheap for a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

ambro25 wrote:
    Question: What's the fastest car in the world?

Reply: a Fiesta XR2i with two young lads in it.

;) - or do you need me to explain the joke further?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Skank

i blew three gear boxes in my punto just couldnt take the driving i did to it :mad: my own fault tho i guess slightly imature but hey arnt weall a some stage of are lives

my advice would be get something old drive it for about a yr and get used to driving in all kind of conditions etc and get about a years experence behinde you then go and bye your self a nice new car and if you wait till early january and theres new models of the car your thinkin of getting comeing out ya could get a car at a cheeper price sso something like a 95 starlet would be great cheep cheerfull and essy to drive then after a yr get your self something nice to drive ....

Advertisement