Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Model Simulators

• 07-11-2004 2:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭

http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html

new version out, brilliant free simulator, you can also buy an interface and hook it up to your transmitter, will post links later.

Still great with just keyboard, and you can make your own models with a bit of practise.

Discuss! :)

Fobia.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I had Truflite, didnt like it.
    Then I got FMS, but it crashed my PC every half hour.
    Finally dug deep & got Realflight G2
    It was brilliant, but I heard there is a new version coming soon, so I passed it on to a friend.
    Waiting for the new generation still.
    Might download the free one on Multiplex website ....

Ooops I should have posted address for free sim
    http://www.multiplex-rc.de

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

I'm sure realflight is the best as a real simulator, no doubt. But this one is good for seeing the controls if you're new without having to dig deep and for flying just for fun when you've learnt how to.

Great thing about FMS is the hundreds of downloadable models online...

Fobia.

Fobia wrote:
    Great thing about FMS is the hundreds of downloadable models online...Fobia.
    Very true .... I understand that Aerofly Pro is pretty good for downloadable extras as well.

The new generation on sims, Realflight G3, and Reflex XTR, are almost photographic in their rendition, wind blowing clouds, branches swaying, etc.
    I bet they gobble up computer video card resources as a result. You waould want to have a drop dead video PC setup, not to get glitches with them.

This is an advantage of the older sims, (as well as cost).

Aye, methinks I'll have to upgrade my gfx card before I even think of buying G3...

• Advertisement

The best thing about G3 ... G2 is getting cheaper by quite a bit. half or less.
    I'm still waiting for G3 (or Reflex XTR) though

Yeah, the problem with that, though is that one of the main reasons I'd buy realflight G2 is for the multiplayer aspect, but when G3 comes out most flyers will go to that instead.....

If the price falls below 50eur I'll probably buy it, but that wont happen for a while yet :mad:

I'd think you will see G2 going for 100 euros pretty soon.
    And there should be a few used copies from the folks that go up to G3. They would be for less.

I'm assuming that GreatPlanes make G3 a separate product, and don't sell an upgrade pack, since that would cause everyone to keep their old software, as well as the upgrade disk.

coolwings wrote:
    I'd think you will see G2 going for 100 euros pretty soon.
    And there should be a few used copies from the folks that go up to G3. They would be for less.

I'm assuming that GreatPlanes make G3 a separate product, and don't sell an upgrade pack, since that would cause everyone to keep their old software, as well as the upgrade disk.

Let's hope so, however if I remember correctly there was an upgrade disk for G2 so we might see a repeat of that....

What matters really is the interface, you can't just buy a second hand cd and an interface, there is some serious anti-copying protection on all of greatplane's gear!

Fobia wrote:
    ....there is some serious anti-copying protection on all of greatplane's gear!

That's putting it mildly ... it asks me for the codes every thirty days, if I don't have them, and I hit any key, I have to reinstall the lot ! :(
    That part is a right pain in the ......
    The good bit is the software, it's the best.

• Advertisement

Did anyone notice that the simulater on the Multiplex webiste is the same FMS version 8.3 as on the site Fobia posted?

coolwings wrote:
    Did anyone notice that the simulater on the Multiplex webiste is the same FMS version 8.3 as on the site Fobia posted?

FMS isn't referring to a category, when someone says "got the new fms?", they're referring to the one I linked to earlier in the thread....

Hope that's what you mean because if it isn't then I'm just confused :)

Just looking at it ... the new version is improved a lot.
    I was missing my old G2 which I sold when I heard G3 is imminent
    Now I have something to practise on while I'm waiting for G3
    (or XTR) possibly
    :)

[EDIT] From here on are the posts taken from the off-topic thread.[/EDIT]

lomb wrote:
    CSM is very poor these days for sure wont even run on xp despite what their website says..
    I had Truefly, didn't like it but hard to pin down why, tried Realflight brilliant but very dear. I saw Reflex XTR the other day, nice graphics. The new Aerofly Pro USB version is in the same league. I haven't seen the new Realflight G3 yet, should also have the great graphics. Pricey but I'm goint to splurge. Hope my PC graphics card can cope though :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

coolwings wrote:
    I had Truefly, didn't like it but hard to pin down why, tried Realflight brilliant but very dear. I saw Reflex XTR the other day, nice graphics. The new Aerofly Pro USB version is in the same league. I haven't seen the new Realflight G3 yet, should also have the great graphics. Pricey but I'm goint to splurge. Hope my PC graphics card can cope though :eek:

I like simple when it comes to model maintenance .... the servos seem ok so far. It could be that their life is shortened a bit, but I think crash damage is more frequently the end for a servo (in my case anyway).

lol, i used the csm for learning stick movements never thought of it as a game, but the new ones graphics look fantastic alright.

This is going a little off thread but for beginners it matters a lot, especially with sims and learning to fly helis.

Originally I thought the flight simulator would be helpful for learning, and not much use later. I compared the sim cost with the cost of one repair.
    Boy was I wrong.
    When it's raining, you can fly the sim.
    When about to try any new maneuver, (eg flying inverted) do it on the sim first.
    At night you can fly the sim.

I have upgraded my sim twice so far, and G3 will be the 3rd one.
    Expensive? yes.
    Worth the money? absolutely. :)

Resurrecting this thread with off topic posts from a new thread...

I'm still waiting for my new Realflight G3... :mad:

However I got to have a go on the new Aerofly Pro USB De Luxe version the other day.
    It is extremely good.
    I probably wouldn't have ordered G3 if I'd tried this earlier...

For example, while looking a plane, the reflections from the wings show the background correctly distorted by the curvature of the wing, (like by a convex mirror) this is something I have never seen on an RC flight sim before.

I've played Aerofly Pro-Deluxe version before alright, it's good (and whores gfx memory!), but I think realflight G3 will be better...I don't know why but the realflight series always seems to outperform the aerofly series on each release. But there is a new sim I saw in a magazine a few weeks ago, must get the name, expensive but very very good :)

Did you ever come across this slope soaring sim ...

http://www.rowlhouse.co.uk/sss/download.html

• Advertisement

I havent...will sign up to this Yahoo ID thing later and download it, is it any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Are there any downloadable simulaters for RC cars. I saw them at towerhobbies

I played a model car game once, it was called big small racing or something similar....can't say I've ever seen a model car/truck sim in any shops though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Tower hobbies sells RealRace Generation 2 from duratrax for only $99. There are 15 popular vehicles including Team associated RC10GT Plus, Duratrax Evader ST, HPI Nitro MT and Tamiya Terra Crusher. You can chose to run it stock or tune it with over 120 adjustable parameters. You can select from 12 tracks. You can watch the action from the cockpit, the drivers stand or a chase car___or all three. You can race with up to 7 drivers on the internet. It includes futaba-style pistol controller. www.realrace.com
    Tower also sells realflight with add-ons Volumes 1,2,3,4&5. They are €32.99 each and if you buy them in combos you save money.

Advertisement