Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good source for parts - Halfords?

Options
  • 17-02-2005 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi there,

I've recently started to do some DIY maintenance on my car. I'm looking for a reliable, good value source for good quality tools, lubricants and spare parts (spark plugs, engine oil filters, HT leads, brake pads etc)

I live near Balbriggan and work near Clontarf, so anywhere along the way would be good. I see Halfords have opened in Coolock - any opinions?

Thanks,

Gandorf.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have yet to go into Halfords in the Republic so can't comment on their prices but from what I have heard, some prices (on ICE, etc.) have been well above average!
    Halfords also usually stock their own brand parts so you have no knowledge of the manufacturer.
    You may be able to source parts from other sources such as local motor factors (e.g. Artane Motor Factors).
    What kind of car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Gandorf

It's a mk1 punto 1.2.
    I've checked up some prices for a few components:

Spark plugs:
    NGK404 (good ones) 17.50 for 4
    NGK703 (basic ones) 14.50 for 4

HT Leads:
    Halford HIL541 24.00
    Bosch B754 32.00

Gearbox oil Castol 1Litre (80W) 8.99

How do these sound compared to motor factors? Also are motor factors wholesale or can the public just drop in and buy (reasonably small quantities of) stuff. Artane would be handy if they're a good operation.

Thanks,

Gandorf.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭dealgan

I was in Halfords in Derry recently as was pretty impressed with the range of parts on offer. They had a "price guarantee" sign up as well, that within a 20 mile radius if you find it cheaper.. blah blah blah.

Dunno what they are like down south.

Having said that, I haven't been looking for parts for a good few years, so mabye most other motor factors have improved in the last 9 or 10 years as well !

I did get oil & a filter recently in Letterkenny, and the shop didn't accept laser or credit cards ! I couldnt believe it when the guy said "Cash or Cheque only" .. havent written a cheque in a shop for years !

Good luck.

It can be tough to ring around to compare prices on (for example) sparkplugs unless you know whether bosch super 4's are better than NGKXXX are better than whatever else the shop has in stock.

What seperates a "motor factor" from a normal shop? Many places listed in the golden pages under motor factors would seem to me to be retail outlets not unlike Halfords.

Anyone know a good place to buy a basic auto toolkit? Was looking at one in Argos for about 35 euro.

Then of course I've got to find a recycling center to take the used oil..... god only knows how much they'll try and charge me for that!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

dealgan wrote:
    I was in Halfords in Derry recently as was pretty impressed with the range of parts on offer. They had a "price guarantee" sign up as well, that within a 20 mile radius if you find it cheaper.. blah blah blah.

Here, could you tell me whereabouts I can find Halfords in Derry? Bear in mind I'm not overly familiar with the city :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Halfords is quite good for tools. You can buy individual sockets etc. and they seem good quality. I think if you're just going to be working on one car you might be better getting a few bits and pieces together that you'll know you'll need rather than getting some 500 piece toolkit where you might never use most of the tools.

You probably know all this already but if you're going to be doing plugs, oil and filter get yourself
    -ratchet handle
    -extension bar
    -deep socket which is the right size for your plugs
    -suitable sump plug socket (check the size and whether you need hex or square)
    -oil filter wrench
    -feeler gauge
    -funnel
    -basin to catch the old oil

If you want to do things right get a torque wrench to check that you're torquing the plugs correctly. A haynes manual might come in handy too :)

BrianD3

Cheers BrianD3,

Yep I've got the Haynes manual but it doesn't seem to list the allen key sizes for the gearbox oil drain/filler plugs, and the sump plug. (or maybe I just can't find it)

From the web and by looking at them I think the gearbox drain is 12mm and the filler level is 8mm, but not sure about the sump plug yet. Also finding a 12mm allen key is hard! Halfords and woodies don't carry them (sets only go to 10mm) - going to try Artane auto centre and B&Q today.

I was thinking of getting a ~100 piece toolbox with a basic mix of auto tools. The only things it doesn't include are a feeler gauge and an oil filter tool, but I'll pick them up from Halfords cheaply enough. looking at the price of individual tools in Halfords a ratchet handle alone seems to be 20-30 euro, which is almost the cost of the basic tool set(!) - sure the toolset it won't be as good, but for basic maintenance on one car it should do fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I wouldn't be overly worried about the gearbox oil anyway, most manufacturers these days don't even specify a change interval for the oil. I changed the oil on the Megane at 120k but I don't think it was really necessary. The gearbox oil drain plug on my car can be opened either using a spanner/socket or using an allen key - the plug is like a bolt with a hole in the middle of it. Perhaps yours is similar.

BrianD3

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If changing gearbox (or if applicable, diff fluids) then *always* unscrew the fill plug first, as you don't want to empty the fluids to find that you can't fill it up again!

Thanks kbannon :-)

I've been checking out the punto technical forum on www/fiatforum.com

http://www.fiatforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32

It's full of useful advice, of which your idea to make sure you can get new oil in BEFORE you take the old oil out is one!

Anyway if I can get the right allen keys I'll give it a go this weekend, weather permitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

I've looked around Halfords for various car parts. The prices are ok for most parts but not the cheapest for me. Consort motor factors are still the best value. Even the likes of Autoglym Car products are 1 or 2 euro dearer than Consort.

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭dealgan

byte wrote:
    Here, could you tell me whereabouts I can find Halfords in Derry? Bear in mind I'm not overly familiar with the city :)

Sure.. It has only opened in the last few months I think.

The road from the "new" foyle bridge up to the hospital has a roundabout near the top of the hill, where you can swing into the shopping centre with homebase, pc world, dixons/curries, etc, and of course McDonalds !
    When you turn off the main road, there is another roundabout where you go left for mc donalds,homebase, etc, or if you go right, there is a halfords, and argos extra and and mfi.

Good luck

Advertisement