Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Transfering engine from write off to another car

Options
  • 17-02-2005 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

This was put to me recently. Not sure if makes any sense at all but someone might be able to help wit this.

A friends father recently had his '96 5 series written off. The engine in it apparently is still perfect. He's looking into find an equivalent car that needs a new engine and to combine the 2 cars.

Apart from the hassle and cost, where would this stand from an insurance point of view. If you take the engine from a write off and put it into the cahsis of another car, which of the cars is it. I.e. take reg from engine or body. I'm assuming its the engine.

And then from an insurance point of view where do you stand given that a car that was written off is now back on the road.

Any thought?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Assuming it is an engine from the same year/model car, then the recipient car stays as it is from both an insurance and tax/registration aspect.
    However, were you to use an different engine (e.g. from a fairly older or newer BMW) then the engines won't match as will replacing a 2L with a 2.5L engine. In that case you will have to inform the insurance company (& if the engine size changes, the taxation office).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

sas wrote:
    This was put to me recently. Not sure if makes any sense at all but someone might be able to help wit this.

A friends father recently had his '96 5 series written off. The engine in it apparently is still perfect. He's looking into find an equivalent car that needs a new engine and to combine the 2 cars.

Apart from the hassle and cost, where would this stand from an insurance point of view. If you take the engine from a write off and put it into the cahsis of another car, which of the cars is it. I.e. take reg from engine or body. I'm assuming its the engine.

And then from an insurance point of view where do you stand given that a car that was written off is now back on the road.

Any thought?

dont know what hes at, i reakon hes wasting his time, engines are for nothing these days, he should be able to sell it for 300-500euro maybe another 300 for the gearbox and thats it really. anyway how does he know the engine is good? has he done a compression test on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The registration will always stay with the chassis of the car, ie in your freinds fathers case, what ever car he gets to put the engine into will keep it's registration. He'll need to declare the replacement engine number to the motor tax office and get the registration documents updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Great stuff, that'll do.

Thanks for the feedback.

Advertisement