Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

MS Internet explorer 7 due summer '05

• 17-02-2005 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

linky

have to say I'm interested. Much as I have firefox1.0 I do use IE along side it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

But no IE 7 for Win 2000.

Can't understand that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Well W2K is nearly 5 years old and is at this stage no longer in mainstream use. It's al winXP now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Infini wrote:
    Well W2K is nearly 5 years old and is at this stage no longer in mainstream use. It's al winXP now.

Win2k not in mainstream use? You must be joking. Its still the OS of choice for any machine that doesnt have 6 billion gigabytes of ram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭exactiv

2005 Win XP W2000
    February 62.0% 21.1%
    January 61.3% 21.6%

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

XP dominates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Well you have to agree that Microsoft seems to be concentrating all its resources on XP and the new longhorn system so they probably don't consider 2000 to be viable anymore.

• Advertisement

exactiv wrote:
    2005 Win XP W2000
    February 62.0% 21.1%
    January 61.3% 21.6%

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

XP dominates.

21% is fairly mainstream, I think the point is that MS should still be supporting it.

Microsoft are doing what any good business would be doing, improving their product and designing new ones.

2000 has been more popular in large organisations in the past because it uses less system resources. But even a lot of these companies/institutions are upgrading to XP, University College Cork being the first that springs to mind.

Uptake of XP increased when 2003 server was released because it supported all of XP's features out of the box.

21% is fairly mainstream, I think the point is that MS should still be supporting it.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I think MS should continue to support it, and I think they will.

It would be bad business sense if they didn't.

I'd imagine it might be attractive for IT managers to stay on 2000 with Firefox rather than, more or less, pay MS for IE 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

galactus wrote:
    But no IE 7 for Win 2000.

Can't understand that!
    He also implies that there may be a Windows 2000 version.

I'd say most likely they will make it available to 200 users aswell, as stated before it would be bad for business if they didn't as a lot of places still rate 2000 better than XP. And use it because of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ste- wrote:
    I'd say most likely they will make it available to 200 users aswell, as stated before it would be bad for business if they didn't as a lot of places still rate 2000 better than XP. And use it because of that.
    If not, there'll be IE6 SP3 for windows 2000 and IE7 for WinXP, and they'll be almost identical except that the Windows XP one will be more colourful and use up 50% more RAM. Bit like Windows XP itself.

Ste- wrote:

Agreed! Less hassle all round.

Just to clarify:

"...clarifying only that the company has not solidified any plans to provide the updated browser to Windows 2000 customers, and that the release date is still up in the air."

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2005Feb/gee20050216029180.htm

Also, plans scrapped for W2K SP5
    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1732610,00.asp

Reading between the lines, I wouldn't expect to see IE 7 on W2K any time soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

MS will continue to support 2000 but they will not be releasing any more service packs for it, just occasional security fixes via windows update. This means that the security enhancemenst that are in XP SP2 and IE7 will not be back-ported to 2000. I think for MS this is all just too little too late.

Firefox 1.1 should be out by summer '05 as well :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IE 7 eh?
    If there are any major changes from IE6 then might just wait for the service pack.

BTW: since XP and 2K were bundled with most branded PC's how many users actually CHOOSE thier version of windows based on an informed decision or just took what was on offer ?
    There are probably more windows 2000 pc's out there than any non-windows OS . It's not a small market segment, it's just that micosoft have been in the forced obsolesence game so long that they don't care about people who aren't paying them...

Correct me if I'm wrong (and i could be very very wrong) but wasnt windows 2000 a business OS and as such wasnt offered as the standard operating system by the likes of DELL.

ME was the home offering at that stage afair. *shudders*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Yes. Windows 2000 was aimed at Business use and was only really bundled with business computers. It would have been WindowsME that was sold with Home computers at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Winters wrote:
    Yes. Windows 2000 was aimed at Business use and was only really bundled with business computers. It would have been WindowsME that was sold with Home computers at the time.

Ya but dell also offered for about €100 that you could have 2000 Professional instead. But when you looked at the comparison between ME and 2k, anyone who wasnt sure which OS to get would have stuck with ME based on all the great things it could according to dell.

Id say the beta wont support 2k but the final release will

Advertisement