Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom3 running problems

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

BloodBath wrote:
    Doom3 is far more advanced graphically than HL2. HL2 just has very nice textures. Not a lot in the way of 3d modelling or lighting but it still looks excellent.

BloodBath

:eek: :eek: :eek:

your talking out your arse here...about both games...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Actually most people on this board haven't a clue what they're talking about, including yourself. Making up things about games and passing them off as fact is a regular thing seen by most fanboys. "Doom III doesn't have true dynamic lighting is the sense there is no radiosity, but HL2 DOES have radiosity" is a quote I seem to remember seeing.

Which, while "technically" right, is also very very very very very wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

why would you even bother comparing HL2 and Doom3?!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

why would you even bother comparing HL2 and Doom3?!?!?!

Why not, they're both popular sequels to games within the same genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

The general consesus seems to be that D3 paid attention to the lighting, HL2 made use of physics. Both games used their respective strengths as gameplay features.

Having played and finished both games on my machine (within a short period of time) I'd have to agree.

I'd still like to come back in a few months and play each all over again on 'proper' hardware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

morbo wrote:
    But that's sarcasm baby!

Much like the last bastion of the weak-minded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

Playing this at the moment, it'll run perfectly smooth for about 45 minutes but then it'll get a little bit choppy like pausing for a second or two entering new areas and lower fps during firefights. Anyone know what could be causing that? My first guess it's cause I've only 512 MBs of ram.. Heard D3 is fairly ram hungry. Should really invest in more RAM anyway

Playin it at 800X600 w/ medium detail, v sync on, no AA.

Athlon 64 2800+
    512 ram
    Radeon 9800 pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I can run Doom3 at max detail on everything, save for the resolution (but its still at 1024 x 768, it actually seems to work generally ok on higher res but sometimes stutters in big areas for a few seconds)

For ages I was using a 2ghz p4, 256ddr ram and geforce 4 mx 420.....in the end, it was an amazing struggle to play new games at any respectable level. its amazing how fast it went downhill from purchase date. Games are advancing wayyyyy faster then they used to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Swifty wrote:
    Playing this at the moment, it'll run perfectly smooth for about 45 minutes but then it'll get a little bit choppy like pausing for a second or two entering new areas and lower fps during firefights. Anyone know what could be causing that? My first guess it's cause I've only 512 MBs of ram.. Heard D3 is fairly ram hungry. Should really invest in more RAM anyway

Playin it at 800X600 w/ medium detail, v sync on, no AA.

Athlon 64 2800+
    512 ram
    Radeon 9800 pro.
    i noticed a massive difference when i stuck a stick of 256 in (had 512 to start with)
    whacking in another 512 should keep you sweet for the next while

Yeah looks like I'll have to order in another 512 stick from Komplett soon. Thanks tman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

On my old rig i had d3 playing in 800 x 600, and it ran well with a few occasional stutters (the huge boss fight with the guardian was almost unplayable tho). That was on an AMD 2400, 512ram, radeon 9800 pro.
    On my new system, AMD 64 3000+, 1gb ram, radeon 9800 pro it ran fine in 1024 X 768, with the occasional slowdown when ALOT of stuff was happening on screen.
    Just upgraded to a geforce 6800 LE yesterday and had a quick blast on D3, running perfectly now in 1024 (monitor only goes as high as 1024, but tbh i dont mind, find it hard to read anything on higher resolutions!). But did the finaly cyberdemon boss fight and had a good constant FPS, no slowdown, jerking, nothing. 1gb of ram is definitely the way to go if you want to experience d3 as it wa meant to be played. It might not seem like much, but the difference between 800 X 600 & 1024 X 768 is almost like playing a new game.

I think it still looks fairly nifty in 800X600.. Those cut-scenes with closeups of the monsters are bloody jaw dropping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Yeah, i loaded the caverns entrance last night when i was testing my new card, you step out of the elevator to be greeted by 2 hellknights, i got my ass kicked motly because i was like 'wow..look at the detail on those bastards' lol. i gotta say it really is some of the most impressive graphics around. Its a pain tho, i used rivatuner to unlock the extra pipelines on my new card and ran the doom timedemo, scored 50 fps! sadly it also cause graphical corruption so had to go back to original clock speeds..but still, i was impressed lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

that graphics card is waaaay out of date very slow its holding back ur pc drastically , get a 128 meg 9600 at least or a 9800 make sure get fastest version there are various models out some are faster than others,its a shame to run that card in such a fast pc as u have.9600 wud be 10times faster at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 gowldoleer

great game, but yes it's a serious resource hog - I have a new laptop with a pretty good spec and I still have to run it with all the shadows etc turned off just to make it playable. Its annoying as the visual effects really add to the atmosphere.

Think I'm going to have to come back to it in about 5 years when super spec PCs are selling for very cheap... :)

Advertisement