Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SuSe 9.2 Installation Prob's

• 17-02-2005 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    I need some help. I finally got around to looking to alternatives to windows. I downloaded the SuSe 9.2 dvd iso and burned it to a dvd in windows with no problems.
    The system boots to the start the installation and Yast runs fine till the installation settings page , where under the software heding I get the message

Cannot read package data from installation media. Media error?
    ERROR: No proposal.

I have then clciked on the software heading and messed around with the options, I think it is failing to mount the packages onto RAM at bootup. These packages seem to determine the various programs you wish to install with the OS.
    I know the error would suggest that the media is coaster but I have burnt 2 perfect dvd's. Under windows i checked the dvd and the packages are present and the .sel files which are from what I gather what Yast reads your installation choice from.
    Please help, need to get a break from crappy windows!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭cormy

I can't necessarily help you in saying this, but: I've had precisely the same problem in the past when installing from cdroms - looked fine viewed through windows, but during the (as it happens) Suse install I get an error like yours about problems reading from the cdrom. I got around this by trying a few times and eventually it worked. I guessed at the time that the cdrom read-error handling was better in Windows than in linux (during install), meaning the disk looked fine in Windows but not when booted from the cdrom during Suse install. If you have a spare dvd-rom drive knocking around you could try sticking that in your pc and trying again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Did you check the md5sum ?
    Does Suse offer a media check before install ?
    Haven't installed Suse so I can't offer any more help, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

i think linux format have Suse 9.2 on their cover dvd this month. you could try that. if the disk still doesn't work then you have someone to complain to, or someone else may have had the same problem as you and found a work around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I'm running Suse 9.2 DVD from Linux Format.
    No problems installing whatsoever, must be your copy of the DVD, pick up Linux Format and try that DVD, also a good read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭fcukme

Thanks for the suggestions,

I orginally picked up an interest in Suse cause it was on the cover disk of this months Pc format. They gave a cd image which i extracted off the cover dvd and burn with nero 6.1. This had the same problem with the missing software packages.

This had started off my interest so off I went and download the Dvd image
    form the suse website and the same error message. Then i read a thread on another forum where you can use the mini install they have on the suse website and install all the rest of your sofware from your windows partition where you have the dvd image. I burnt the mini installation onto a cd-r and the same error message. I don't think all three of the images could be corrupt.

Could the problem be Nero, when i opened the dvd image i get a message about nero not recongnising the block size of the image. I just clicked ignore and it burnt fine. Or else could it be the writer, I have a NEC 2500A in an SFF so I use it to read and write. However I did try the dvd i burnt in my laptop which has an lg dvd drive and I get the same message.

I think i'll pick up a copy of linux format the weekend and give it a bash and i'd still like to know whats causing the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭de8o

I use SUSE 9.1 and had no problems. However I downloaded Novell Linux Desktop 9 and had the same issue. Novell own SUSE and so NLD is a derivative of SUSE linux. I thought it was a problem with the cd and created a new one, same problem. Then I got a proper copy from Novell at a conference. Guess what? same problem, always when it went to look at the application selection.

Fix: Removed CD drive and replaced with another. Worked perfect. I think that the other CD was spinning down too quickly. I have since tried to install 2000 on the dud cd drive and it gave intermittent problems saying that certain files were missing but pressing retry would locate it.

Dud cd drive now located in some land fill site.

Advertisement