Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 in Fitz Wed 16-2

Options
  • 17-02-2005 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭

20 in Hold’Em Fitz Wed 16-2

Quick report of last night’s action. Played fairly well was getting some good cards, finished 5th overall (€150), Tom hot on my heals out in 4th.

Remaining 3 > young lads never seen b4, Reg older Fitz player and of course PlayerX!!!!!!

Some notable hands
    All final table

In BB checks, one of the young lads checks, Tom completes.
    Flop comes QJJ everyone checks turn K (I think) tom checks me All in (about 20K), young lad whose buying all my tells says 'I think your bluffing' Tom folds,
    river blank, young lad turns a pair of Kx. whole table has me on stupid all-in/ bluff.
    I turn over QJ :D
    Oooo'ss, wow's& groans all round :D ]:) :evil grin:
    Blinds at 3k 4.5k 4.5k me 88's goes all in pre flop (28K) (5/6players left) tom calls muttering something that you've become an all-in monster and goes all (11k). Tom turns Q9os. Flop >blank turn a Queen!!! River no help. Tom back in the game.

Think this was a marginal –guts or glory call that could have been your last action. Would love to hear the stat./ thinking/ reasoning behind this? ?:| Give me some poker wisdom on this Tom :D (cheers :p )
    Last hand
    Me all in pre flop (can u see a pattern here :D –its how many (and ours) final tables go)
    About 35K at this stage (it’s a bit hazy,might have called PlayersX all in)
    Against PlayerX has me well covered
    Me A9os PlayerX K7os :O :D cant believe it! might have a chance. Flop blank turn K river blank and I’m walkin. Looked as if we wouldn’t hit and A high might get it.

The last remaining 3 > young lads never seen b4, Reg older Fitz player and of course PlayerX!!!!!!

Shocked if PlayerX didn’t storm the win as he was chip leader by a fair bit, (about 60k)plus was getting the cards when called and took a lot of uncalled action, young lad (30-40K) and older reg fitz player (25-30k)
    Anyone know who won it? Did they do split?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Isn't €150 a little miserly for 5th in a €20 tourney, considering you win a €270 tickets for 5th in a freeroll???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Culchie wrote:
    Isn't €150 a little miserly for 5th in a €20 rebuy (where you often spend €60-€80) tourney, considering you win a €270 tickets for 5th in a freeroll???
    fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Culchie wrote:
    Isn't €150 a little miserly for 5th in a €20 tourney, considering you win a €270 tickets for 5th in a freeroll???

It's a lot of work for a small return alright, although it must have been a small crowd, I won €225 for 5th last week, not much better but still nice considering I didn't rebuy.

What was first and second prize Corben? €1200 & €700 last week...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

it was €1350 1st and 600 2nd 400 3rd. yeah got €300 for 5th (again!) pre xmas. Yeah does seem a bit light? was told there was 4/5tables(prob only 4)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I got 200 for 4th, 3rd was 400, 2nd was 650 and first was 1200. Another ridiculous slope imho.

Corben's memory is a little hazy, especially on this hand:
    Flop comes QJJ everyone checks turn K (I think) tom checks me All in (about 20K), young lad whose buying all my tells says 'I think your bluffing' Tom folds,
    river blank, young lad turns a pair of Kx. whole table has me on stupid all-in/ bluff.
    I turn over QJ
    Oooo'ss, wow's& groans all round ] :evil grin:

I was holding KQ and raised preflop which came down QJJ. You checked it, first to act and the lad bet 11K afaicr. I went into the tank and couldnt come up with a hand he could have called me and you with that warranted this action from him, that wasnt a bluff and which I could beat. QT is about the only hand. AQ, AJ, QQ, JJ, JT, J9 and QJ all have me slaughtered. I dumped the hand. You go over the top and he calls you with AT to your QJ. Nicely played.

As far as the Q9 hand was concerned, you made a BIG shove with your chips with little in the pot. I put you strongly on a small pair, I was kinda surprised to see 8s but it didnt matter. I was desperate because with the blinds at 3K - 4.5K - 4.5K and any two cards over 8 would do really. I was hoping for a 50-50 or a 60-40 as the blinds alone practically guaruntee me 3:1 pot odds!

I got bugger all cards all night and had to really play hard to make anything with them. I did not ONCE get what I would consider a premium hand until I got AQ twice at the end and mis-played them both to cause me to crash out of the tournie. Great!

Over all though I was pleased with my play because anyone can play a run of huge cards, its how you handle a night of J4 and 93 that will tell...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

DeVore wrote:
    I did not ONCE get what I would consider a premium hand until I got AQ twice at the end and mis-played them both to cause me to crash out of the tournie. Great!DeV.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again AQ...the new 27o.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I was thinking of you at that point Dirkey, I knew you'd say that too :):)

I played it very very poorly though. Atrociously. One occasion, ok I got outdrawn by QT who I might have stopped from seeing a flop but I wanted to make as much as possible from the hand. (Famous last words or what!)

The other I can barely bring myself to explain how badly I played it. Norman is in the mid-blind of the three blind structure with me to his right. He has big stack and knows I can be bullied at time. I know he knows that which makes it even. :)
    He raises 20 on top of the 4.5K and , thinking that he has put me all in, I call in a heartbeat. Thats when I realised that because of a win the hand before I had about 35k. The flop comes KJx and Norman quickly goes all in. I contemplate my idiocy at leisure and ultimately fold. He shows 97o. Not being aware of my *own* stacksize is unforgiveably poor play but we live and learn I guess... I had just been used to having bugger all chips due to poor cards all night and was surprised I had even 24K at all!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭F Fiesta

Culchie wrote:

€270 tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

DeVore wrote:
    I was thinking of you at that point Dirkey, I knew you'd say that too :):)

I played it very very poorly though. Atrociously. One occasion, ok I got outdrawn by QT who I might have stopped from seeing a flop but I wanted to make as much as possible from the hand. (Famous last words or what!)

The other I can barely bring myself to explain how badly I played it. Norman is in the mid-blind of the three blind structure with me to his right. He has big stack and knows I can be bullied at time. I know he knows that which makes it even. :)
    He raises 20 on top of the 4.5K and , thinking that he has put me all in, I call in a heartbeat. Thats when I realised that because of a win the hand before I had about 35k. The flop comes KJx and Norman quickly goes all in. I contemplate my idiocy at leisure and ultimately fold. He shows 97o. Not being aware of my *own* stacksize is unforgiveably poor play but we live and learn I guess... I had just been used to having bugger all chips due to poor cards all night and was surprised I had even 24K at all!

DeV.
    I've come to the conclusion that pre flop slow play doesn't work. At least if you raise it up, and are outdrawn you can come on here and grumble about it. And then be told that you're an irritating git who hasn't had sex in 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

DeVore wrote:
    I got 200 for 4th, 3rd was 400, 2nd was 650 and first was 1200. Another ridiculous slope imho.

Corben's memory is a little hazy, especially on this hand:

I was holding KQ and raised preflop which came down QJJ. You checked it, first to act and the lad bet 11K afaicr. I went into the tank and couldnt come up with a hand he could have called me and you with that warranted this action from him, that wasnt a bluff and which I could beat. QT is about the only hand. AQ, AJ, QQ, JJ, JT, J9 and QJ all have me slaughtered. I dumped the hand. You go over the top and he calls you with AT to your QJ. Nicely played.
    DeV.
    **damn my fuzzy memory** Out out u demons of fuzziness :D
    I had the other guy on Kx, my bad. +thanks a lot :)
    DeVore wrote:
    As far as the Q9 hand was concerned, you made a BIG shove with your chips with little in the pot. I put you strongly on a small pair, I was kinda surprised to see 8s but it didnt matter. I was desperate because with the blinds at 3K - 4.5K - 4.5K and any two cards over 8 would do really. I was hoping for a 50-50 or a 60-40 as the blinds alone practically guaruntee me 3:1 pot odds!

DeV.
    If you made the call putting me on a small pocket pair, then damn thats a good potential hand rank call. would u describe 88's as a small pair? considering only 5 players left? would the 88's be miles ahead (win/loss%) to Q9os? maybe u had to all in go anyways because the blinds were about to eat u.
    *note to self must vary final table play a bit more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

You probably had about a 7pc edge over him Corben I think the important part is the fact that if his read is right it's a chance with two overs to take out a player.

Dangerous call and would have been costly had he lost but fact is it bumped him up the money and so was the correct decision.

I did the same in an STT only last week, down to 4 players small stack goes all in for about 600 i had 2k in chips, looked down at 78s...I thought about it and how tight he had played coupled with the stage of the game.

I called after much debate, if I let that pot go he was back in contention for a place in the money....can't give him that chance.

He flipped over 55 and i flopped an 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Culchie wrote:
    You also get €270 for coming first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Samba wrote:
    Dangerous call and would have been costly had he lost but fact is it bumped him up the money and so was the correct decision.

This is dangerous advice, the results dont affect whether a decision is right or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Hector you are taking my "advice" out of context i believe

O.k 72o calls an allin against AA and hits 772 on the flop does not make it a correct decision.

But in 50/50 situation and late in a tournament, taking a gamble can be the right decision providing you are confident with your read and you know what you are up against.

Tom did not exactly have the time to sit around and wait for AA did he? He understood his position and called based on that and imho he made the correct decision.

It was a 50/50 gamble but not just to double up, to take out a player and move up in the money or go home.

Decision = Correct.

I was about to be wiped by the blinds afaicr I didnt have a lot of chips so there was a certain amount of no lose gamble! I had a strong read that James had a weakish hand and was over protecting it by going all in. I figured A-rag or small pair. Now I'm behind to both but the blinds were substantial at that point and so long as I have both cards over the rag or the pair I'm in good enough shape that I'm not going to be picky!!

James you are a fraction more then 55:45 ahead with the pair:
    http://twodimes.net/h/?z=777729
    pokenum  -h qs 9c  - 8d 8h 
    Holdem Hi: 1712304 enumerated boards
    cards     win   %win    lose  %lose   tie  %tie     EV
    Qs 9c  755943  44.15  950283  55.50  6078  0.35  0.443
    8d 8h  950283  55.50  755943  44.15  6078  0.35  0.557

The size of the pair doesnt make more then 8% difference so long as its below my 9.
    eg: a pair of 2's is:
    [/code]
    http://twodimes.net/h/?z=777730
    pokenum -h qs 9c - 2d 2h
    Holdem Hi: 1712304 enumerated boards
    cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
    Qs 9c 827608 48.33 865300 50.53 19396 1.13 0.489
    2d 2h 865300 50.53 827608 48.33 19396 1.13 0.511
    [/code]

The difference only arises because the 8's cripple my chances of a low straight.
    By and large two cards higher then a pair have approx: 45% chance of winning with a 5% margin of error. Given that the sum of the blinds was about the same as both our stacks there was a lot of chips in there for a gamble!

DeV.

Advertisement