Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mario Kart 64 or Mario Kart:DD?

Options
  • 17-02-2005 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

My friend and I have been "discussing" which of the two above games was better in single player.

I reckon DD takes it hands down. I feel the tracks are better designed (there are no real parts where you cant see over the crest of a hill) and are a lot more fun to play. Also the addition of the second character adds a greater strategic element the game. You not only have to think about the characters special offensive ability but also how your kart will handle. Throw in the choice of karts themselves and i feel you have a more rounded and enjoyable experience than the N64 version.

Anyway, post your thoughts and dont forget to vote!!!

[edit] damn :D!!![/edit]

Which is a better single player experience? 24 votes

Mario Kart 64
    0% 0 votes
    Mario Kart:Double Dash
    54% 13 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    45% 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Mario Kart 64 is the best in the series by some way and don't let the dewey eyed SNES nostalgists tell you otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Mario Kart DD is the best in the series by some way and don't let the dewey eyed N64 nostalgists tell you otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

64 all the way baby

there was no mario kart on the jaguar afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Mario Kart 64 was soooooooo sllllllllooooooowwwwwwwww. Double Dash is where it's at.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Between MK64 and MKDD, Double Dash. Just because Rainbow Road rocks so much in it.
    Though best Mario Kart is a tossup between the SNES and GBA ones. Single player in Double Dash is insanely easy. As in beatable in a day easy. At least with the SNES and GBA ones there was *some* challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Mario Kart 64 is the best in the series by some way and don't let the dewey eyed SNES nostalgists tell you otherwise.

You are an idiot. Apologies but you are!!

The Snes version is where it's at!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

The Snes version is where it's at!!
    GBA was a better version of the orignal SNES

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Lets keep it friendly.

(despite how MAD and WRONG he is.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

argh! my god. 64 totally sucked. it's by far the worst in the series.

they run in this order, best to worst:

super mario kart
    mario kart super circuit
    mario kart: double dash
    mario kart 64

without a doubt.

anyone who tells you otherwise has too many elbows.

alright, i can understand why some people prefer super circuit to smk, but it's lost a lot of its purity on super circuit... i like to think of it as a half way cross between smk and mk64. in all games but smk, the karts slide way too far to the outside when you first turn into a corner. in DD and 64, the corners are waaaay too wide and the karts turn too sharply and the whole race feels sooo slow. and the way the red shells work in later games is borrrring. take away the skill whydontcha

Rew wrote:
    GBA was a better version of the orignal SNES

Meh, I had it and couldn't get into it in the same way.. No game has taken up my time like the original SNES version.. The N64 version was a disgrace..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Meh, I had it and couldn't get into it in the same way.. No game has taken up my time like the original SNES version.. The N64 version was a disgrace..

64 version was a disgrace! What plent are you living on. The series has just gotten better and better and MK DD is in my opinion the best but they are all brilliant. To call one a disgrace is in itself a disgrace.

We must now make a living sacrifice to appease the great god Miyamoto.

PS: Can't wait for the DS version.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Spent 2 weeks driving around Normandy last summer and played the **** out of it on the GBA. Both the new tracks and the orignal SNES ones. Great game. Still kicking my self I didn't organise a 2nd GBA for a friend who was with me, we had to make do with kicking the **** out of each others lap and track times. Unlockong the extra stuff killed a svagae amount of dead time in the car and on the ferry.

Legend of a game, cannt wait for 8 player DS version.... mmmmmm 8 player Mario Kart.... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

as we are all voicing our opinions MK DD isn't that great in my opinion, i'd prefer to start up a game of either super mario kart or mario kart 64

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Balfa wrote:
    and the way the red shells work in later games is borrrring. take away the skill whydontcha

The skill comes in trying to avoid the red shells... get the blue jazz on... hold it.. hold it... GO!! :D:D

No game is as much fun as MK-DD four-player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Super Mario Kart.

While I haven't had a proper play of Mario Kart: DD!!, I know that Mario Kart 64 just doesn't hold up well at all. The game is finishable in a day with little or no mastery left, the AI is terrible, the weapons are an abundance, and the courses are just too large (and since you're going waaay slow, the race just becomes drawn-out and boring). Anyone remember Rainbow Road? Ugh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

MK64 and MK : DD both have flaws, but in total 64 comes off as a better single player game in my opinion. I'm played both to death and all that i kept thinking most of the time while playing MK : DD was that it was so unbalanced. The weapons in the game make it so that there is very little skill involved, you could lead for the whole race and suddenly find yourself in last through no fault of your own, or be the complete opposite, going from last to first just by triggering a single weapon. Ultimately, I decided that the "luck of the draw" feel of MK : DD made it worse than MK64.

I can remember playing MK64, and the whole skill of it was to get around the courses without being hit by anything, and barring the lightening you could do that with enough skill. In MK : DD, there are so many weapons that you can't dodge or knock out.

And to the people who said that MK64 was so slow, not all that many people were complaining at the time, seeing as that was pretty much the norm at time. Its like saying SMK's graphics are poor, when they were great at the time.

I should probably tell you that I'm Q_Ball's "Friend" and if we weren't in a crowded room at the time, he'd be in hospital now.

Goodshape wrote:
    The skill comes in trying to avoid the red shells...

ARGH! The red shells are harder to avoid in smk anyway! In the later games, someone shoots a red shell, it flies around the track on rails until it catches up to the next competitor, then it slows down and sits on their tail going the exact same speed as them. just keep driving and don't make a mistake that slows you down then!

in smk, a shell is fired, and it flies superfast but with a poor turning circle straight towards the closest driver, unable to steer around frikkin walls, just like a heat seeking missile, then it smacks straight into them full speed unless they out-turn it or jump with perfect timing.

All you kids who are too young to remember the snes... i have pity upon thee :D

CatInABox wrote:
    not all that many people were complaining at the time

Wow! you counted?? How many people WERE complaining at the time? I was :| I was thoroughly pessed off, cos i was a nintendo fanboy, and i laughed when everyone bought the PS, while i was merrily waiting for nintendo to launch the 64, then they did, and it sucked, and mariokart sucked, and it felt TOO SLOW and not nerve-wrackingly pinpoint precise like its predecessor, so i gave up on consoles altogether, until a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

CatInABox wrote:
    And to the people who said that MK64 was so slow, not all that many people were complaining at the time, seeing as that was pretty much the norm at time. Its like saying SMK's graphics are poor, when they were great at the time.

You wouldn't make an analogy between graphics and speed, as you are comparing two different consoles. On the N64, Wave Race 64 had been out a few months and that was already faster, and then who could forget F-Zero X a year or two later.

It was mainly down to Mario Kart 64's shoddy PAL conversion though, the days when Nintendo and then-suppliers THE couldn't give a toss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Andrew Fotzpatr

i played mario kart snes to death when i was younger..prob the most ive got out of a game besides Goldeneye and

mario kart 64 :D

both brilliant never pld DD doesnt look as good but i could be wrong..

single player mario kart on the snes was very hard to beat the last levels on 150 cc were rock hard..MK 64 has better multi player but the single player wasnt as hard.. the game boy advance one is good as well

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nothing beats the Snes Mario Kart.

Between the two games DD is much better. The tracks are more interesting there are no stupidly good shortcuts and I think the multiplayer is far better. My main gripe about mario kart 64 is that the tracks are quite bland. Not many of them have 1 challenging corner and you seem to be battling cheating AI rather than control of your kart.

Balfa wrote:

in smk, a shell is fired, and it flies superfast but with a poor turning circle straight towards the closest driver, unable to steer around frikkin walls, just like a heat seeking missile, then it smacks straight into them full speed unless they out-turn it or jump with perfect timing.

All you kids who are too young to remember the snes... i have pity upon thee :D

The skill of jumping red shells.. brings a tear to my eye..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

In order of format preference

snes
    gba
    gc
    n64

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Mario Kart is much better on the N64 than GameCube

It was a nice idea but to putting two people on one kart was never going to work

Why do nintendo have to mess with the classic's
    like Zelda (wind waker) and Mario (sunshine)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Super Mario Kart.

While I haven't had a proper play of Mario Kart: DD!!, I know that Mario Kart 64 just doesn't hold up well at all. The game is finishable in a day with little or no mastery left, the AI is terrible, the weapons are an abundance, and the courses are just too large (and since you're going waaay slow, the race just becomes drawn-out and boring). Anyone remember Rainbow Road? Ugh.
    I agree with ALL of that, even the bit about MK:DD

BTW this thread is high-larious:)

Advertisement