Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for dinner for 4????

• 17-02-2005 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

OK, I'm cooking tomorrow night for my self and 3 of the girls. I'm a pretty good cook but I think they have tasted about all of my dishes (the one's that I'm so comfortable with that I can do under pressure I mean). So I'm kinda stuck for ideas.... something that's not killer hard to prepare but tasty.... anyone???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

What are the dishes you regularly do?

What about a decent lasagne?
    Lash on a couple of steaks and jazz them up?
    Chicken Supreme?
    A really nice beef stew?

All of these can be jazzed up using various herbs and spices, and sprigs of parsley and all that cráp. Nice sauces etc...etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭wilkins

Mousakka with minced lamb. yum yum.

Or buy just roll pastry and make a quiche or tartlet or someit. with salad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Here's one for you, I posted it in another forum and it is good.

This was enough for three people so to be sure for 4 I would double up on the ingredients , you can always freeze the finished Gnocchis and make up sauce for them if you needed to again.

Gnocchi with Sage, Butter and parmesan.
    This one is pretty easy and absolutely fantastic.

Ingredients.
    About 275g potatoes, use a good mashing potato, not too soapy. (rooster is fine)
    100g plain flour
    1 beaten egg
    Salt and freshly ground pepper.

50g butter + a drop of olive oil
    lots of garlic ( to taste I say at least 4 cloves :D)
    10 or so fresh sage leaves.
    Parmesan, about 15g on top and the rest served to taste

Ok boil your potatoes with the skin on, then when done remove and let them cool. Peel the potatoes then whip them up with a whisk until soft mashed and fluffy. Add in the flour and half or more of the egg and mix this up to form a nice potatoey dough. You might need the other half egg, but cos the potatoe is damp you probably wont need it all. ( so make a tiny omellette for a ratty ;))
    Roll the dough into sausage shapes (about 4 of them) on a floured board then cut them on the diagonal into pieces approximately 1 inch wide then put them on a tray in the fridge to cool for at least a 1/2 hour.
    After you have chilled the gnocchis you should then press the tines of a fork into one side of the doughball to score it, this helps to hold sauce.
    Being a pot of water to a good boil and pop your ghocchis in there for three minutes, they will float after 2 minutes but need another one.
    Pop them from the boiling water into a preheated oven dish to keep.
    Chop the garlic, then pop into a pan with the butter and a drop of oil ( not too high you dont want to burn the butter) then roast the garlic until golden brown, not too much.
    Once the garlic is browned then throw in the sage and continue until crispy.
    remove the gnocchis from the oven and pour the brown buttery sauce all over and toss a little with about 15g parmesan.
    Eat fresh....mmmmmmm tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Last night I made a simple dinner - cod fillet, small plum tomatoes and couscous with raisins.

Get some couscous cooking/steaming. Add raisins to add sweetness (heat softened raisins are really nice - they plump up).
    Put cod fillet(s) in baking tray. Put a bunch of small plum tomatoes in the tray around fillets. Put into oven at 180C for 15 mins.

It's simple anyway.
    It the above seems plain, add roasted bell peppers and courgettes. They'll take a while so put them for 30-40 mins. Drizzle some olive oil over before going into oven.
    Like with the raisins, the heat will soften them up and the sweet flavour of the peppers (especially red, yellow and orange) will come out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Thanks for all the ideas, I like the idea of all of them! But I might go for the roll pastry and make a quiche. Any hints on the best way to use roll pastry or is it handy enough? Can I just get it from Tesco's? Or I'll be in Marks and Spencers tonight, I'll take a look there.
    I think a nice quiche with a large saled and some goats cheese might be nice... god I'm hungry now!:0)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

a tomato tatin makes a nice surprising change from quiche if you feel like a somewhat adventerous departure from quiche. also toasting some pinenuts to throw through ..old...but yum!

Advertisement