Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakthrough in Northern bank job?

Options
  • 17-02-2005 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭

Just heard on radio that one of the people arrested in Cork today on suspicion of money laundering and in possession of millions in sterling and £60,000 in Northern bank notes is a SF member. Anyone got more on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Its all over now for the shinners.

Time for Gerry to get the 'cuffs.
    Pretty convenient he happens to be in Spain at the moment.
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0217/cork.html

Hope we don't get any more of 'the failed politics of condemnation' on the board...:P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

No one is convicted yet. And there is still the opt out from reality for those who want to believe Adams until he himself is arrested and convicted.

Still, couldnt happen to a nicer bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

Should be a treat to see the faces on which ever Sinn Fein luminaries appear on the News tonight to comment. That is if any of them can still appear on camera and lie throught their teeth any more.
    Maybe Gerry knew what was coming and that might explain his apparent backtracking comment in Spain yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Due process??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

Due process like the IRA gave Jean McConville you mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

irish1 wrote:
    Due process??
    Would you be the same irish1 who's accusing the government of theft in the nursing home thread, when they haven't been convicted of anything either? So I don't think you're interested in "due process", I think you're interested in defending Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

irish1 wrote:
    Due process??

Money recovered! It should be simple to see if its the same money as was taken, and if so ... case closed.

All the bull**** in the world wont sweep this one under the rug.

Of course i expect it was planted by British intelligence! :o

X

Quote from breaking news
    "
    Earlier gardaí recovered a reported £2m (€2.89m) in the Cork raid. Gardaí said they raided another property in Dublin, where they arrested three men and seized at least £60,000 (€86,
    000). "

Meh wrote:
    Would you be the same irish1 who's accusing the government of theft in the nursing home thread, when they haven't been convicted of anything either? So I don't think you're interested in "due process", I think you're interested in defending Sinn Fein.

If you actually bothered to read my posts you would see what I'm basing my arguments on, e.g. supreme court ruling.

I have not tried to defend anyone, I simply asked for due process.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭ishmael whale

I take it as the money has no family, we should just pass on what we know to any person of respect. For example:

http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/A/alig/clip.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Surely it's the bank's property?! Unless insurance has been paid of course, in which case it's probably the insurance company's.

That reminded me of the Shinner who told me you're not taking anyone's money if you rob a bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

That reminded me of the Shinner who told me you're not taking anyone's money if you rob a bank.

Speaking purely about the monetary aspect, it reminded me of someone who said that you're not taking anyone's money if you commit tax fraud.

Let us see how this pans out and who the SF politician is and what he will be charged with and will he be convicted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Poker_Peter

If this is true then SF have lost all credibility and I really cannot see now what excuses anyone can have for voting for them. They make FF look like saints tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Will the Shinner-heads on this board continue to support a bunch of politicians associated with murderers, thieves and terrorists if this new development shows up links with Sinn Féin?

Will the Shinner-heads on this board continue to support a bunch of politicians associated with murderers, thieves and terrorists if this new development shows up links with Sinn Féin?

Those who dont care that SF/IRA are one and the same wont care about this either. Their denials are purely for the benefit of electoral mandate.

Those who refuse to believe SF/IRA are one and the same will gratefully lap up any exscuse Adams and Co throws out.

So the short answer would be yes, they will.

I wouldnt be surprised, if this SF politician is convicted and if more SF figures are arrested, that they are disowned by SF/IRA and forced - through threats against their families - to go along with the story of some unauthorised splinter group pulling the wool over the eyes of Adams and McGuinness who will surely be beatified someday. And I doubt charges will be brought against any of the real honchos in SF/IRA as it could A) damage the sacred peace proccess if the moderates - and sadly these are the moderate IRA guys - are taken out, and B) Be seen as more useful to use as leverage to demand Adams and Co sign up to a deal or face jail.

But - and this is the big but - no one has been convicted yet. SF/IRA have got the first of the arrests they have been demanding, and there probably will be more. The best thing about this is that the PNSI and the Gardai wouldnt launch these arrests without being absolutely 100% sure they can nail the charges. So hopefully they wont have jumped the gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Queen Camilla

I expect the SF vote to collapse as a result of this. The question then will be: where will the former SF'ers go?

Sand wrote:

I wouldnt be surprised, if this SF politician is convicted and if more SF figures are arrested, that they are disowned by SF/IRA and forced - through threats against their families - to go along with the story of some unauthorised splinter group pulling the wool over the eyes of Adams and McGuinness who will surely be beatified someday.

You are the other face of the same coin to those people who will claim that the British securocrats have planted this story and the Gardai have just arrested people for the effect.

• Advertisement

You are the other face of the same coin to those people who will claim that the British securocrats have planted this story and the Gardai have just arrested people for the effect.

Well, SF/IRA arent afraid to cut people loose when they become a PR liability are they? Youre on your own wasnt it?

If it is proven that several members of SF were knowingly involved in the northern bank robbery or in the laudering of money from the robbery I will be forced to consider who I vote for in the future. I will not stand by and support members involved in criminality. But I will also not jump to conclusions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

ReefBreak wrote:

Was anybody murdered in the bank robbery?
    If Sinn Fein members were involved then yes they are theives and should be treated in the same way as gardai or poloticians who have been convicted recently of criminal behaviour.

So if some SF members were involved then all are guilty by association?
    Assuming this is the case then I presume the same applies to FF and the Gardai if some of its members get upto no good?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Interesting development. It'll certainly be interesting to see how this pans out..

From RTE
    Adams clarifies Madrid remarks

17 February 2005 13:45

Sinn Féin President Gerry Adams has said remarks he made yesterday during a radio interview in Madrid about the Northern Bank robbery before Christmas have been misrepresented.

He said he had made it clear that he believed the IRA when it said it was not involved.

He said any other interpretation of his remarks was mischievous and misleading.

During the interview, in which his remarks were translated into Spanish by an interpreter, Mr Adams also used the phrase 'Maybe I'm wrong' before repeating that he believed the IRA.

[url=Adams does'nt do slips of the tongue...;)

Mike.

Slightly OT but on UTV tonight 22.30 (?) there is a politcial gab-fest which features Gerry Kelly and Eamon O Cuiv amoung others..should be fun.

Mike.

Is this a change of programming as the UTV listing do not show it

http://www.u.tv/tvlistings/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭ishmael whale

I take it we can expect the usual Comical Ali denials from SF. But there has to be major fallout from this. Its hard to see Mary Lou holding onto the euro seat next time out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

RTE News -
    It is understood that a former Sinn Féin elected representative is among those arrested.
    The Fine Gael leader, Enda Kenny, has said the arrest of seven people and the reported involvement of a member of Sinn Féin 'raises grave questions for that party
    Mr Rabbitte said it was of extreme concern that the garda operation was specifically directed at IRA money laundering.

To put it mildly, Sinn Fein are f**ked :D

Oh course is anyone apart from rabid Sinn Fein supporters actually surprised by this? I believed Bertie when he said the IRA were behind this. I believed him when he said that Sinn Fein knew about it. I didn't believe him because it was coming from FF (or "da shower of ****" as they are known around here) but because it was coming from Garda and Army Intelligence, and we actually have pretty good intelligence services for our small little country afaik

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

AmenToThat wrote:
    So if some SF members were involved then all are guilty by association?Assuming this is the case then I presume the same applies to FF and the Gardai if some of its members get upto no good?

A few points.

1) If the IRA did this, and it looks more and more like they did, or at least sanctioned members of the IRA to do it, then they have lost all credibility by saying they didn't do it.

2) If 1 is true then Sinn Fein look like idiots for saying they believe the IRA. That is assuming SF didn't know about it.

3) If members of Sinn Fein the party were involved then SF not only look like idiots but also it brings serious questions onto SF that their members were involved in illegal operations. The big question is whether or not senior members of SF knew this was happening. The government said they did. If so, then questions about the entire party and their commitment to democracy have to be asked.

Advertisement