Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakthrough in Northern bank job?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Sand wrote:
    His account does not show drink as being a major factor in either their actions, or the actions of the SF/IRA election team that killed his friend McCartney

Don't believe the propaganda.

The provisional movement are expert at it.

This was a savage attack and the subsequent cover up and intimidation - should leave nobody in any doubt about the sheer horror of this attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Jean McConville was a spy for the dirty Limeys, was found out and given a warning. Her transmitter was taken away, no harm done to her.

There was a war on, and Spies are the enemy, enemies are usually killed, no??

She should have stopped as anyone knows is the safe option, especially when you live like a sheep amongst the wolves?? There was no reason for her to risk her life for the Queen and the rest of the Krouts!!

The Brits, not giving a Sh1t about her life, gave her a second transmitter and asked her to carry on the 'Good' work on behalf of the Queen.

She was apparently shot in the back of the head and buried God knows where. All for pride in her Motherland run by Germans.

I know of blokes forced out of their houses in Cabra for being scumbag, car thieving, house burglaring, dealers, by the IRA. The cops/fags are useless at sorting out serious criminals, only motorists and granny's dodging their tv licence, so the IRA helped the locals, thus earning their lifelong support.

It is stupid to throw stones at Sinn Fein in the form of 30yr old murder cases, especially when Bloody Sunday is such a huge stone in the Unionists shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Jean McConville was a spy for the dirty Limeys, was found out and given a warning. Her transmitter was taken away, no harm done to her.

She should have stopped as anyone knows is the safe option, especially when you live like a sheep amongst the wolves?? There was no reason for her to risk her life for the Queen and the rest of the Krouts!!

The Brits, not giving a Sh1t about her life, gave her a second transmitter and asked her to carry on the 'Good' work on behalf of the Queen.

She was apparently shot in the back of the head and buried God knows where. All for pride in her Motherland run by Germans.

I know of blokes forced out of their houses in Cabra for being scumbag, car thieving, house burglaring, dealers, by the IRA. The cops/fags are useless at sorting out serious criminals, only motorists and granny's dodging their tv licence, so the IRA helped the locals, thus earning their lifelong support.

It is stupid to throw stones at Sinn Fein in the form of 30yr old murder cases, especially when Bloody Sunday is such a huge stone in the Unionists shoes.

Y'know every time I think we can make progress away from the violence and death, ignorance bigotry and stupidity, someone like you comes allong and says something like this, and reminds me just how long both sides have got to go.

I'd tell you what I think of you, but I'd be banned again, suffice to say you are part of the problem the rest of us are trying to overcome

@mycroft
    I don't have many views on the North as I don't live there. I can't speak for someone who has lost a limb or family member.

If you don't live up there, then you don't really have a say either.

To put the troubles behind is a very hard thing to do, those things stick in a person's head. People remember who was good to them, and who was bad. It's just life.

The only peaceful way of an end to the troubles is by Breeding out the Unionists, I could nearly bet money this will be the only Realistic way.

This is the opinion of someone who lives in the real world, your views are that of a day dreamer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Jean McConville was a woman murdered because she comforted a dying soldier.

To date - Some Sf members do not see her murder as a crime.

Please do not liiter discussion forums with IRA propaganda.

Such propaganda is not worthy of comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

this view is based on incorrect information given that there was no such radio equipment in the possession of Ms McConville.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

To put the troubles behind is a very hard thing to do

Yet so many seem to have managed it, and a few keep holding them back...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

[Mod on]I assume you have proof for all of this or are you detached from the real world that we all live in and creating a emerald fantasy land. I expect to see some sources for this little rant.[/Mod off]

Oh and didn't the IRA try and collude with the Germans during WW2?

Oh I agree it is stupid to throw 30 year old murder cases at the IRA/Sinn Fein when we have so many recent ones that highlight the fact of what they are and stand for so much better.

@mycroft
    I don't have many views on the North as I don't live there. I can't speak for someone who has lost a limb or family member.

If you don't live up there, then you don't really have a say either.

I do however have a cousin missing a leg thanks to Omagh. And a dad who took me out of the north and moved our family to the south when he saw what was happening and didn't want his children brought into a pub and cheered on when they sang old fenian ballads thus ensuring another generation is brought up who are more interested in looking to the past than the future.

The only peaceful way of an end to the troubles is by Breeding out the Unionists, I could nearly bet money this will be the only Realistic way.

This is the opinion of someone who lives in the real world, your views are that of a day dreamer.

Uh they made a film about that y'know here

You live in a world where ever unionist is a shaven head thug with the union jack on each shoulder, and every IRA man is the personification of Finn and the red branch.

But hey if you're so convinced this "breed them out" policy is the best tactic Joesph may i suggest that you save up get the sex change, and hopefully by that time medicine will have caught up with your dream for your united ireland, and they've invented an artifical womb, that way you can meet a nice irish man and......*

*I think the subtext of comment is pretty clear at this point.

• Advertisement

@mycroft
    You live in a world where ever unionist is a shaven head thug with the union jack on each shoulder

Big 'Ian' is a scary, old, angry, rabid thing, . . .he is NOT shaven headed.
    the best tactic Joesph may i suggest that you save up get the sex change

Quite amusing, I almost let a smirk cross my face.

I would not get a sex change, . . . maybe just a set of titties.

Breeding them out is a natural progression that most likely will happen, as long as there are Catholic families with large sums of kids, not like the Protestant couple with one child.

You may think this sounds like a farce but it more probable than the hardcore Nationalists playing happy families with their 'Orange' neighbours, . .no???

Also, are you not annoyed that you had to leave one part of this Island for a more 'safe' location, immune of all the violence, by both sides??

You I suppose are lucky that you can forget the troubles up there, a hard thing it is indeed to forgive the scum, but you will be happier not living a hate-filled life.

Also, are you not annoyed that you had to leave one part of this Island for a more 'safe' location, immune of all the violence, by both sides??

And as I pointed out I still have family up there. And I prefer Dublin to the North.

You I suppose are lucky that you can forget the troubles up there, a hard thing it is indeed to forgive the scum, but you will be happier not living a hate-filled life.

Uh huh....I'm living a hatefilled life?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

1 How much influence does tony o reily have over afp

2. If it wasnt in al-jazeera's interest to post the story they wouldnt have posted it.

You might not know it but media outlets (even O'Reily's indo, Tribune etc) sometimes run stories on what people say. This does not mean that such media outlets back the person or what they have said. What you linked to isn’t ‘an editorial’, but a news story based on claims made publicly by one group.

Posting one link to one news story saying "X has said...", and posting ten links to ten news stories saying "X has said..." doesn’t make what X has said an more or less true.

By mycroft
    Uh huh....I'm living a hatefilled life?

I didn't say you were living a hate-filled life, I said that judging by your views, being able to put it behind you, you were perhaps lucky not to be living a hate filled life, like many others.

I cannot spell it out any clearer so go ahead and argue with some comment you find in what I just said, . .. DUHHH!!

Also, in relation to the Northern Bank job, does anyone really care about thieves robbing a bank???

"Ahhhhhh, the poor bank, 1, 2, 3, .. . .AWWWWW".

HSBC, UK-based bank made pre tax profits of a mere $17.6 Billion!!!

I don't think anyone of us will ever comprehend that amount of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Also, in relation to the Northern Bank job, does anyone really care about thieves robbing a bank???

Yes. I do.
    I don't think anyone of us will ever comprehend that amount of money.
    And that makes it acceptable?

Incidentally, banks are insured against theft.

I assume you are aware that this robbery does nothing to their bottom line (except possibly in terms of a shift in their insurance premium, which is trivial in comparison).

It does, however, impact the bottom line of the bank's insurers, and - in turn - their re-insurers. This, in turn, will damage the shareholders of those people. At a simplest level, such behaviour could ultimately result in a hike in bank insurance rates - something you can be damned sure will ultimately be passed on to the customer.

You seem to be arguing the same line I heard in "O, Brother, Where Art Thou" (if memory is dredging up the correct movie) - that because no single individual was substantially at a loss, the crime was victimless and therefore somehow acceptable.

I don't subscribe to that philosophy.

jc

B

"Ahhhhhh, the poor bank, 1, 2, 3, .. . .AWWWWW".

HSBC, UK-based bank made pre tax profits of a mere $17.6 Billion!!!

Um I care.

1. I want to know what the IRA need that money for.

2. It's part of a black economy ensuring that many more millions of pounds of reputable tax revenue is lost. Money which could have been spent on hosiptials, schools etc...

Honestly thats the most simplistic defense I've heard so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

With decision of the bank to recall all notes, surely the value of the robbery has dropped dramatically hence the insurance the bank will get will not be the value of the notes stolen?

With decision of the bank to recall all notes, surely the value of the robbery has dropped dramatically hence the insurance the bank will get will not be the value of the notes stolen?

Diminished value of the gain does not mitigate the crime

mycroft wrote:
    Um I care.

1. I want to know what the IRA need that money for.

2. It's part of a black economy ensuring that many more millions of pounds of reputable tax revenue is lost. Money which could have been spent on hosiptials, schools etc...

Honestly thats the most simplistic defense I've heard so far.

Their political wing can moan about the funding of public services and the millitary wing can be involved in rackets.

Why does the IRA need money?

To Re-Arm?
    Holiday Homes?
    Boats?

I really don't know.

mycroft wrote:
    Diminished value of the gain does not mitigate the crime

Nobody is claiming it does, I am curious as to where all this discussion about the insurance indusry taking a huge hit on this one comes from?

• Advertisement

I have to say corks interjections make me laugh
    Partly for their unintended humour... :D

Dub in Glasgow-If the northern recalls all its notes from everybody to issue new ones, they are at a loss still of the stolen money as they had to under write the issue of the missing loot ergo the insurance co must pay up.They also incur the additional cost of the re-print, though thats a tiny fraction of the value of the robbery.

Earthman wrote:
    I have to say corks interjections make me laugh
    Partly for their unintended humour... :D

Dub in Glasgow-If the northern recalls all its notes from everybody to issue new ones, they are at a loss still of the stolen money as they had to under write the issue of the missing loot ergo the insurance co must pay up.They also incur the additional cost of the re-print, though thats a tiny fraction of the value of the robbery.

I'm certainly enjoying the SFers denials.....

December; the ira didn't commit the robbery

January; these claims are outrage and theres no substance to them.

February; these garda raids, proof nothing!

March; Sure who's bothered by the bank robbery anyway, banks are loaded.

Mindful of Adams and the Inital denials the columbian three were in SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

You mean some Sfers's denials, don;t brand everyone who votes for the party the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just heard it mentioned that the money found in Cork was NOT related to Northern Bank job. No link yet.

Mike.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Mike, what's your source? Radio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

mike65 wrote:
    Just heard it mentioned that the money found in Cork was NOT related to Northern Bank job. No link yet.

Mike.

odd that they said they would know within days
    and the information that this had nothing to do with the northern bank raid only comes out after the by election

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mentioned on Today FM news. Still have'nt found a net link.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2091-1522960,00.html
    Focus: Laundering probe

THE name of a key figure in the garda’s investigation into IRA money laundering emerged last week, writes Dearbhail McDonald.
    John Sheehan, a Cork businessman, has been revealed as the person who surrendered more than £170,000 (€243,000) to police at the height of the probe.

Sheehan, a security operator, is an associate of Ted Cunningham, the financier at the centre of the garda investigation.

He is understood to have told gardai he was given the money to mind by Cunningham, his tenant at the Westpoint Business Park in Ballincollig.

Sheehan, who won millions in lucrative state contracts to protect courthouses and disused army barracks, said the money was being held for legitimate purposes.

He became the latest corporate casualty of the investigation when he was ousted as a non-executive board member of Sheehan Security last month. In 2003, he pocketed €8m when the security firm was sold to Newcourt Group.

The Criminal Assets Bureau has taken up residence in the four-star Silversprings Moran hotel in Cork to continue following the paper trail.

The investigation is still into money laundering, rather than the Northern Bank raid. Among its highlights was the arrest of a suspected Real IRA member who was caught with €78,000 in a box of Daz washing-up powder at Dublin’s Heuston Station.

Although £65,000 was seized in Northern Bank notes at Cunningham’s home, forensic tests have not established that they originated from the heist.

In fact, the only money which has turned up from the bank robbery so far is £50,000 found in the toilets of a Belfast leisure club frequented by the Police Service of Northern Ireland.

That has led Sinn Fein to accuse gardai and the government of unfairly targeting republicans. Searches at the homes of some Sinn Fein members, including that of Roisin O’Sullivan, a teenage councillor in Cork whose evening meal was “ruined” by uninvited guests from Special Branch, have prompted a storm of protest from party representatives.

Aengus O Snodaigh, a Sinn Fein TD, suggested in the Dail last week that gardai didn’t get much of a haul when they raided the former Sinn Fein councillor Tom Hanlon’s house during the money laundering operation.

Eight members of the Garda Special Branch were involved in the raid, O Snodaigh said. All they removed were “the councillor’s notes on council meetings and business”.

I dont know why I cant find more on this anywhere in the news...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

A quick off-topic question, I heard something on the radio last week about the gardai declaring the money found in cork was not from the Northern Bank Robbery. I was sitting on a jury for most of last week so missed the news a lot, did anyone else hear this??

• Advertisement

Well Bertie issued a statement saying that tests are *still* being carried out but the money was from the NI bank job.

Advertisement