Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakthrough in Northern bank job?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

It'll be interesting to see the reaction of the Sinn Féin leadership to this if it turns out that Sinn Féin members were involved with the robbery.

Just been watching the 6 o clock news on RTE and its seems that banks, soliciting and accounting firms are being raided throughout the country.
    Now again speaking only from my limited knowledge of local SF members.
    They dont tend not to be solicitors or accounts or bankers however FF and FG members do tend to be in my limited experience.

I think this is whole process is going to the best show in town folks and may well wipe a few smiles off the faces of those on here hoping that this a purely Republican operation.
    At the 'coal face' for sure it is republican run but at the business end I think there may be a fair few FF FG types sitting nervously this evening.

kleefarr wrote:

Yep was just going to post this, its being newsflashed on sky news at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Its all turning out to be not so clean cut as many people were predicting, a RIRA man a SF member, a big time union leader and a lot of business men. Ive no doubt that the list of ppl will only grow but so far I think SF have more than enough scope to dodge the bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

The people of this island voted for the Good Friday agreement. It was a glorious opportunity for a new start for both traditions on this island. But alas the IRA has continued with criminality.

We have discussed IRA criminality in these forums long before the NI bank raid and the murder of Robert McCartney.

I feel that it is no wonder that both governments feel duped.

But I feel bad for the Irish people who have been betrayed by individuals who care more from criminality than the Peace Process.

Personally - I feel sickened by the provisional movement. Only for the Gardai we'd still be getting statements like:
    "NO member of the IRA can be a criminal" -Sinn Fein President Gerry Adams

NO member of the IRA can be a criminal

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Not when Sinn Fein / IRA committed the robbery in the first place.

If people still vote for Sinn Fein after this, it is they who are the fools, not S. F.

Its all turning out to be not so clean cut as many people were predicting, a RIRA man a SF member, a big time union leader and a lot of business men. Ive no doubt that the list of ppl will only grow but so far I think SF have more than enough scope to dodge the bullet.

From the start I said without question that the bank job was done by an element within the Provos unhappy at the amount of concessions that Adams/McGuinness were making to unionist/loyalist and British demands, and I say that as a Republican.

But as tonights news has only started to indicate (ie soliciting firms, bankers and accounting firms) there is far more than the IRA involved in this.
    So far it looks (he hasnt been convicted yet) as if one SF member may be involved in the laundering end of the operation.

When the whole scandal is in the public domain and investigated I think your gonna find that there will be more people with backrounds in FG, FF and the PD's facing court procedings for money laundering charges than those associated with SF.

AmenToThat wrote:

When the whole scandal is in the public domain and investigated I think your gonna find that there will be more people with backrounds in FG, FF and the PD's facing court procedings for money laundering charges than those associated with SF.

FF, FG and Labour supported the recent dail motion. SF did not.

It was the same SF + IRA who also were opposed to a "No criminality clause" in the agreement last December.

SF / IRA did not encourage people to go to the PSNI with information on the Robert McCartney murder.

It was the IRA who carried out the NI bank raid & senior figures within SF were probably well aware of it being planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

One bad member doesn't make a whole party guilty, I'd wait for the result of these investigations before I start calling people fools, and do remember that the majority of Nationalists support Sinn Fein and if they are all fools well.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

AmenToThat wrote:
    , just ask FF.

As for this 'demonizing of SF' I think it only adds to the appeal for some.
    Well gauging by the comments from young people in my area just comming upto and around the legal age for voting they are starting to find the party more n more 'glamarous' for want over a better word! :D

Not surprising given the general intelligence levels of the youth in this country are steadily dropping.

• Advertisement

Cork wrote:
    FF, FG and Labour supported the recent dail motion. SF did not.

It was the same SF + IRA who also were opposed to a "No criminality clause" in the agreement last December.

SF / IRA did not encourage people to go to the PSNI with information on the Robert McCartney murder.

It was the IRA who carried out the NI bank raid & senior figures within SF were probably well aware of it being planned.

So your argument is that its ok to launder money just not to rob it in the first place?

Not surprising given the general intelligence levels of the youth in this country are steadily dropping.

You may well be right but they are still as entightled to have thier say as anyone else in the country

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Yeah but it would be a sad reflection on Ireland if they vote for a gang of murderers , gun-runners, smugglers and bank robbers like Sinn Fein.

Some of these kids have been indoctrinated in to republican terrorist ideals, it is not entirely their fault.

AmenToThat wrote:
    So your argument is that its ok to launder money just not to rob it in the first place?

Laundering money is a crime.

It would aganist civil, company law and accountancy and legal professional regulations

I unlike some shinners have no problem calling a crime for what it is. (A crime)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Martin McGuiness Interview on UTV Live

Skip foward to the halfway point for the interview and "extra scene" at the end.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

AmenToThat wrote:
    You may well be right but they are still as entightled to have thier say as anyone else in the country
    Proof positive of your point Ronan|Raven, they may be semi literate, but, they are entitled to their say.
    jbkenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

jbkenn wrote:
    Proof positive of your point Ronan|Raven, they may be semi literate, but, they are entitled to their say.
    jbkenn

that is a bit of a low shot there is no need to try and belittle someone because their spelling might not be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Lets not attack anyones literacy! Hell my spelling is as bad as god knows what. I was merely making a point that if the youth feel a party associated to people who may have robbed a bank and commited a murder is glamorous. Notice how I say may no one has been convicted of anything yet...

It is an interesting situation that is developing in regards to the money it will be interesting to see if any of the recovered notes can in any way be traced to the bank robbery. What should be even more intriguing is to see how many people and firms get collared over the evidence from whoever is talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Skip foward to the halfway point for the interview and "extra scene" at the end.

It seemed like a difficult interview, and difficult period of criticial pressure for Martin, he did well to deal with such a difficult situation, and avoid the difficult questions. Yes, difficult.

Had to check they werent interviewing David "great" Beckam.

Straws. Clutching at.

Whats more interesting is that it looks like a level of co-operation exists between the dissidents and the provos in Munster at least. Politics seem to be taking a back seat to the common good of ill earned prosperity.

Another benefit is that again, it seems SF/IRA were either lying or simply dont have diciplined control over their thugs anymore. Hard to say which is worse.

Sand wrote:
    Another benefit is that again, it seems SF/IRA were either lying or simply dont have diciplined control over their thugs anymore. Hard to say which is worse.

IRA criminality is not new. It has gone on for years.

I think many of these people tought that they would never be cought.

I have no doubt that many probabably did not see this activity as a crime.

It will be interesting to see who benefitited from this consistant criminality by the provisional movement.

There was a guy arrested tonight burning the loot. Like the IRA the loot has not gone away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I believe that man that was charged in dublin is a member of the Real IRA and not the Provisional's!

It is possible that this operation was being run by the RIRA and not the PIRA.

irish1 wrote:
    I believe that man that was charged in dublin is a member of the Real IRA and not the Provisional's!

It is possible that this operation was being run by the RIRA and not the PIRA.

It is (though unlikely) but its also possible, as someone cheekily suggested on Slugger O'Tool that the Provos may have agents within the C and R-IRA!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

just heard on radio.

the PSNI found northern bank notes at a country club um.. used by off-duty PSNI police members - how's this for a twist ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Also, according to RTE, the SF member that was arrested in Cork has been released without charge ?

Who again was jumping to conclusions ? !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

gurramok wrote:
    Also, according to RTE, the SF member that was arrested in Cork has been released without charge ?

Sinn Fein when they said the IRA had nothing to do with this :D

gurramok wrote:

They want to see where he goes....often a file is sent to DPP for consideration.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

No mention of it in the news report, all it said was 'released without charge'.

Wouldn't be surprised if there are more twists to this money laundering story.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,199 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

jbkenn wrote:
    jbkenn

Oh dear :rolleyes:

it seems odd to me that the IRA could be involved with the real IRA at the same time as they are allegedly kidnapping and murdering members of the realIRA

there is the possibility that it could be individuals feathering there nest before the IRA goes out of business or perhaps people from the provos unwilling to to accept decommissioning and the disbandment of the provos setting up a new organisation or taking over an existing one.

of course this is all speculation as for the ex sinn fein councillor the man could be completely innocent it could be the Gardai rounding up all the republicans in the area
    presumably he was not in posession of anything incriminating or he would not have been released at this stage

• Advertisement

phil flynn has resigned from the board of the bank of scotland

and the decentralisation review

Advertisement