Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakthrough in Northern bank job?

Options

Comments

cdebru wrote:
    phil flynn has resigned from the board of the bank of scotland

and the decentralisation review
    A former vice president of SF and a committed Republican.
    I wonder did he put that on his list of interests on his CV when he joined Bank of Scotland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I'm sure Bertie was aware of his connection to SF when he was appointed chairman of the national implementation body overseeing decentralisation.

I believe at this stage the only person to be charged is the man that was charged with being a member of the RIRA. I think the media might have presumed too much..

It will be interesting to see what unfolds.

Oh and it will be interesting to see what happens in regard to the money found at a Belfast country club used primarily by former and serving police officers.

Although I would suspect that it is a decoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

If there is not enough evidence yet, why should people be judgemental on their guilt when they have not been charged ? (4 released without charge so far)

UUP guy charged with fraud.
    It seems that there are bad apples in every political party.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Earthman wrote:
    A former vice president of SF and a committed Republican.
    I wonder did he put that on his list of interests on his CV when he joined Bank of Scotland :D

since anybody whoever heard of phil flynn would know that he is a republican and former vice president of sinn fein I doubt if it came as a surprise to anybody

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I wonder what sort of hurting this will put on Sinn Feins electoral finances - were talking a money laundering scheme gone/heavily damaged, and there is the chance they may be forbidden from fund raising in the US as part of the fall out - if indeed there isnt a state side aspect to the money laundering scheme.

Either way, if the peace process is to continue at all SF/IRA may have to sit it out until they can demonstrate theyve dropped the IRA half of the equation, or have total control of them.

I wouldnt mind seeing legislation passed that required any member of the Dail to disavow any connection to subversive organisations or organised crime before theyre allowed to run for election, and that their seat would be dependant on the maintenence of that status. Similar legislation was brought to force DeValeras Fianna Fail to decide which side of the fence they wanted to be on, and that ultimatumn worked. Of course, it mightnt get widespread support from the parties with skeletons in their closet, but still it would be nice to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Sand wrote:
    I wouldnt mind seeing legislation passed that required any member of the Dail to disavow any connection to subversive organisations or organised crime before theyre allowed to run for election, and that their seat would be dependant on the maintenence of that status.

Excellent idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

pork99 wrote:
    Excellent idea

It won't work unless people stop voting for them.

Disenfranchising a portion of the electorate is not a good idea.

gurramok wrote:
    It won't work unless people stop voting for them.

Disenfranchising a portion of the electorate is not a good idea.

Criminals or their close associates sitting in the Dail is an even worse idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Sand wrote:

Either way, if the peace process is to continue at all SF/IRA may have to sit it out until they can demonstrate theyve dropped the IRA half of the equation, or have total control of them.

Weapons cannot be held by any organisation as bargaining chips. All criminality has got to end. If SF are to re-enter talks in the future they will have to do so on a level playing pitch with other partys.

If they do not do this - then they need to be excluded.
    Criminals or their close associates sitting in the Dail is an even worse idea

I think that the IRA has got to fold up tent to bring confidence back into the Peace Process.

SF need to make some decisions and stop their constant whine aganist the IMC, FF, FG, LAB, PSNI, Gardai, Hugh Orde, Ian Paisley, SDLP, David Trimble & others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Latest developments.

Sinn Fein to hold some marches (they allways do this!) to show us how together they are or something...

Don Bullman charged with IRA membership.

Ted Cunningham who is an associate of Phil Flynn released as was Cathy Armstrong.

Unnamed 40 year old being questioned about setting fire to Sterling in his back garden, AK 47 rounds also recovered...cant imagine why he'd have them...

Mike.

Feet on the street. SF have to decide where it is going. This tactic won't work for them.

It would be better if they started to encorage people to go to the police on the Robert McCartney murder.

Adams now believes that their is a smear campaign aganist SF.

Walter Mitty could not have put it better.

One thing I agree with the Shinners on, up to a point anyway, is that they have RIGHTS to be included on the basis of their mandate. Fair enough.

However along with those rights there are concomitant RESPONSIBILITIES to stay within the law and not to subvert the democratic processes which they say they wish to be part of.

The first people who have been betrayed by all these shadey goings-on are the people who voted for them in good faith. I'm quite glad now I'm not one of them.

pork99 wrote:
    One thing I agree with the Shinners on, up to a point anyway, is that they have RIGHTS to be included on the basis of their mandate. Fair enough.

However along with those rights there are concomitant RESPONSIBILITIES to stay within the law and not to subvert the democratic processes which they say they wish to be part of.

The first people who have been betrayed by all these shadey goings-on are the people who voted for them in good faith. I'm quite glad now I'm not one of them.

I agree 100%. I did actually vote for them once. Not the most recent set of elections. I wanted to encourage them into democratic politics.

I feel sorry for Bertie who invested much in the process.

But I feel those who voted for the Good Friday agreement have been betrayed the most.

That said - Robert McCartney is yet another victim of the IRA.

Look - I am going to sign off now - The Good Friday Agreement was a chance for a new begining. I feel nothing but sheer anger towards the likes of SF/IRA.

pork99 wrote:

I thin k you may be jumping ahead of yourself nothing that we know so far is definitely connected to sinn fein

the only person charged is apparently charged with membership of the real IRA now it does not make sense that a member of the real IRA would be laundering money or handling money that was for Sinn Fein or the PIRA in fact it stands logic on its head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Squaletto

Can anybody in this forum tell me why Martin Ferris was arrested a few days before the election in Kerry? I remember at the time thinking that it was very strange and especially so when it turned out that he wasn't charged with anything! The result was amazing though, the media got it's feeding frenzy on SF and a total innocent man was pulled through the dirt simply because of his republican backround. The same type of tactics are being used by Putin in that haven of democracy called Russia today. Some of the guys on this forum really should study Irish History with an open mind. How many of you think Michael Collins was a terrorist or Pearse for that matter! Nothing has changed, the I'm alright Jack brigade find it easy to demonise SF without as much as a trial and have the cheek to call themselves democrats. Due process is in order big time here not the squeeks from frustrated armchair politicians who have notions of themselves. If you really wanted peace you would put aside the BS and get round a table with the local SF rep along with the other parties and say what you have to say. Get a life guys, it may save one in the North one day!! :(

*NEWSFLASH*

The money found in Belfast country club used primarily by former and serving police officers has been confirmed to have come from the Northern Bank Robbery!!!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Money discovered in a police sports club was stolen in the £26.5m Northern Bank robbery, detectives have confirmed.
    Police discovered £50,000 in new Northern Bank notes at the Newforge Country Club in Belfast.

Five shrink-wrapped packages each containing £10,000 were found in the toilets of the facility.

The police said it was designed to distract attention away from the inquiry and from events elsewhere.

It is the first cash from the robbery to turn up.

A police spokeswoman said the notes had consecutive serial numbers and corresponded with the numbers given to the PSNI by the bank.

A man rang the Police Ombudsman on Friday claiming to be a PSNI officer and told them where to find the money.

The RUC Athletics Association has blamed outsiders for leaving the cash.

A police spokesperson said of the Belfast find: "Initial checks would suggest that this incident is an effort to distract the police investigating the Northern Bank robbery and also to divert attention away from events elsewhere over the last two days.

"However, police are taking the find seriously and the material recovered will be examined as part of police efforts to find those responsible for the robbery."

New Forge Country Club is owned by the RUC Athletic Association.

The complex is used by former RUC officers and serving Police Service of Northern Ireland officers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/4280713.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

irish1 wrote:
    *NEWSFLASH*

The money found in Belfast country club used primarily by former and serving police officers has been confirmed to have come from the Northern Bank Robbery!!!!.

RTE also claim - well Paschal Sheehy , that the cash in Cork will also be confirmed as being from the robbery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Story from the Beeb. Shame it's the wrapped consecutively numbered notes that wouldn't have been much good to anyone anyway except as a cheap log substitute or for a few drinks in a busy bar with no CCTV.

so it was the bleeding PSNI hugh orde trying to blame the IRA just covering his tracks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

irish1 wrote:
    *NEWSFLASH*

So where are we now?

1. One Real IRA member from cork charged.
    2. One prominent SF member in the firing line.
    3. First confirmed cash from the robbery was on a premises used bt the PSNI/RUC
    4. Resignataion of former union and SF man (Flynn) turned banker and friend of the government.
    5. Gardai switching to the actual laundering end of the operation focusing on soliciting firms and accountants more of whom will have links to FF and the PD's than SF.

Smoking gun me arse, for sure a section of the IRA dissatisfied with the direction McGuinness/Adams are leading the republican movemnt robbed the bank but the idea that this operation is run from head to toe by SF is a work of fantasy in my opinion
    I have a feeling that over the comming months that if the CAB/Gardai and indeed the PSNI/RUC carry out their job without a blinkerd approach (ie focusing on Republicans and turning a blind eye to others involved) theres going to be far more than SF with questions to answer.

cdebru wrote:
    so it was the bleeding PSNI hugh orde trying to blame the IRA just covering his tracks

No.............. but when you think of how easy it was to carry out the operation and the time frame involved its not hard to come to the conclusion that a section of the PSNI/RUC turned a blind eye while the whole robbery was going on and indeed the invistigation afterwards has been a shambles in the six counties.
    Now that the whole thing is out in the open Im sure the Provos were thinking why the hell should the PSNI/RUC get away scot free for their roll in it?
    Hence the call to the Ombudsmans office last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

cdebru wrote:
    Was that a question?

If so I'd have to offer an opinion that the answer is "no" (or two "no"s if it's two questions)

sceptre wrote:
    Was that a question?

If so I'd have to offer an opinion that the answer is "no" (or two "no"s if it's two questions)

Looks like a statement of fact to me.
    Of course its a hypothetical statement as as of yet nothing has been proven beyond doubt in a court of law.
    Come to think of it everything on this thread is hypothetical to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

So let me get this straight. £50,000stg from the Northern Bank robbery just *happened* to show up at a PSNI sports club. Not only is this money neatly packaged, it happens to be consecutively numbered, meaning that it is very easy to corroborate that this cash did indeed originate from the Northern Bank. How, one wonders, did the PSNI come about this information? I would suspect an IR^H^H^anonymous tip-off.

Yes, this is a serious turn of events, but if anyone seriously expects everyone to turn around and point the finger at the PSNI, they're going to have to do a better job of fingering them. HINT: Try somewhere less obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Republicans are going to deploy any number of diversionary tricks over the comming days and this is so obviously one of them. The club is open to outsiders for various events not to mention ppl like cleaning staff, hmmm I wonder if they did a check on the so called PSNI members number...

I see tonight that the RTE Cork correspondent has stated the Gardai will confirm the money found in Douglas is from the Northern bank raid.

Mike.

sceptre wrote:
    Was that a question?

no i really think hugh orde did it and tony blair his political wing knew in advance
    if he didn't what kind of control has he over these guys in the PSNI

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    Republicans are going to deploy any number of diversionary tricks over the comming days and this is so obviously one of them.

Yep those nasty Republicans must be at it again.
    Because Irish politicians, the gardai and the British security services/PSNI/RUC have never used dirty tricks..............

Advertisement