Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Insurance from EU

Options
  • 17-02-2005 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

Im 17 and looking for insurance on my first car and I've been getting huge quotes (up to €5000 ON A 1L car!)I've heard rumours of being able to get insurance from companies outside Ireland but within the EU for a lot cheaper.Does anybody know anything about this,whether or not its true?Also any advice on cheap insurance appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

shane0312 wrote:
    Im 17 and looking for insurance on my first car and I've been getting huge quotes (up to €5000 ON A 1L car!)I've heard rumours of being able to get insurance from companies outside Ireland but within the EU for a lot cheaper.Does anybody know anything about this,whether or not its true?Also any advice on cheap insurance appreciated.

AFAIK - they wouldn't touch Ireland with a bargepole.

The payouts here are just too high, the roads too poor, the driving appaling, the country too small (mid european city size).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

It ain't gonna happen - if so nobody would bother with the poxy Irish insurance companies. Get yourself insured as a named driver on a parents' car until you pass your driving test. That will knock a huge chunk off the insurance premium.

I didn't get insured as a named driver until I was 20-21 (because of the cost), but I passed my test a few weeks ago and now my insurance premium has plummeted (i'm 22 now), and I'm driving my own car under my own name.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would go with the above advice, get yourself added as a named driver on your parents car for a couple of years, then try again. Unfortunately insurance for under 25s is crazy. I started this way and didn't get my own insurance until I was 23 and that was on an old 91 Nissan Sunny. Even then the insurance cost IR£2k third party on a IR£3k car. Now I am paying €650 full comp on a 03 1.8 Avensis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shane0312

cheers lads I suppose I'M just going to have to suffer like everyone else :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Maybe things have changed when I first started driving (in the early 80's) a van was the way to go the tax was cheap and commercial insurance was better than car insurance, and the Hiace had had another attraction but I digress. Maybe things have changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

To get commercial insurance, you must also have commercial tax, which in theory means you must own a business of your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

Go for a carvan - It's much cheaper on insurance (2 seats instead of 5). Wont be the best drive ever but at least it'll get you from a to b.

Also apply for your test straight away as there's a waiting list anyway - even if your not a good driver now you will have plenty of time to learn....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

as far as i know u can get insurance from the eu, its called the fifth european insurance decleration google it it has somthing in it about what ur looking for

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

dogz, any company in the EU can offer insurance products here as long as they are registered with IFSRA. Therefore any EU company can offer insurance in Ireland (if they register)
    However, they don't want to register here!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

shane0312 wrote:

just going to have it pay it.... started on €4500 on 1.1l car myself ;-(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

as far as i know u can get insurance from the eu, its called the fifth european insurance decleration google it it has somthing in it about what ur looking for
    And the only reason they can't cover you is that they can't provide you with an ins disc. Its illegal to stick anything to your front window in the continent afaik. (and the cops just check your plates and your details come up on the computer ... in belgium at least)

4500 or 5000 on a 1l is a bit of a joke. IMHO the best thing you could do would be to be a named driver on your parents insurance until you pass your test (which depending on where you live could be after only 6 months from the application date). Then consider looking for your own insurance.

Im 19, and if I pass my driving test on monday it will "only" cost me between 1500 and 2000 to insure up to a 1.3. thats fully comp though for 2000.

The 1500 was tpft on a daihatsu charade gtti, but thats only because I was playing with the online quote generators to see what it would let me do.

bp_me wrote:
    Im 19, and if I pass my driving test on monday it will "only" cost me between 1500 and 2000 to insure up to a 1.3. thats fully comp though for 2000.

That sounds good. I dont plan on getting insurance until I pass my test anyway.Which insurance company is offering 1500-2000?

www.brittoninsurance.com

The 1500 is tpft on a 1.0 turbo charade gtti

the 2000 or so is fully comp on a 1.0 yaris

I got an online quote with them and they gave me a quote of 3000 on a 1L micra. Maybe its because Im 17.

Cheers anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

The best thing you can do is emigrate , work hard for a year don't spend any of your cash in Ireland move to somewhere sunny and poor and live in luxury driving whatever car you damn well want to in the sun with a tanned beauty at your side......you know it makes sense :D
    why live in a wet depressing overpriced quagmire with people with eyebrows on their cheeks!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

the cheapest way to get a quote i found when i was 17 was to apply for insurance with someone like www.123.ie and put your father down as the first driver, mother as second (has to be second lady driver rules etc) and you as the third named driver, there is no law against your old man having another policy with a different company for a different car, only thing is you have to buy the car in his name, give it a try and let us know what they quote you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

stratos wrote:
    the Hiace had had another attraction

Caught the eye of many a lovely tinker?

Boggle is right about the carvan - they're cheaper because they carry less people. The reason there's so many young people killed on the roads is there tends to be more of us in the car. Insurance companys know the biggest payout is going to be personal injury so the less people the better. Which works very well in theory. How many times have you seen a carvan around Bishopstown with two lads in the back with no seats and consequently no seat belt?

I've heard of several people driving around with insurance from EU companies but the catch is they've all been nationals of the country the insurance is from. EU companies can insure people here - they just won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

kbannon wrote:
    dogz, any company in the EU can offer insurance products here as long as they are registered with IFSRA. Therefore any EU company can offer insurance in Ireland (if they register)
    However, they don't want to register here!

Well many companies would like to enter Irish market but government has certain rules making this very difficult process. You will say - but existing companies did it.

Which is proof that you can make profit despite high payouts which are only shown to justify the price of the Insurance. You will go out of business if you were loosing money year after year.

Insurance company is also insured and well covered for high payout risk.

It would be easier for them to enter the market then provide insurance from abroad as an insurance undertaker may not have the necessary information to assess the level of the risk existing in the member state of the policyholder.

Fact is:

you can register Irish registered car abroad (not wide practice but some companies will do it) However, it is illegal in Ireland to drive without valid tax which you will not get as an assurance company carrying on mechanically
    propelled vehicle insurance business doesn't comply with insurance Directives and licensed under these Directives by the Minister for Public Enterprise.

well, this would be another reason why road tax should be in petrol price.

the cheapest way to get a quote i found when i was 17 was to apply for insurance with someone like www.123.ie and put your father down as the first driver, mother as second (has to be second lady driver rules etc) and you as the third named driver, there is no law against your old man having another policy with a different company for a different car, only thing is you have to buy the car in his name, give it a try and let us know what they quote you

cheers Lumper Long I got a quote off 123.ie for 2000. Thats a 1000 cheaper than my next best quote. The only thing I have to worry about now is getting my full license and I havent even had any lessons yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

Did you try Quinn Direct?

shane0312 wrote:
    cheers Lumper Long
    Sorry about getting you're name wrong thumper long :o

no i havent tried quinn direct yet.Why are they cheap?

Advertisement