Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

amazon referral links - bot?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

just a helpful chap linking items for people the last week! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

see above edit.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

well if he had th eproduct and sold it to the person he would be making money. No harm in this is there? They dont have to buy from his link.

my point would be that its spam
    if everyone did this it would ruin the forums.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2385986&postcount=4

heres a link to a discontinued item,
    a bots handiwork for sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

yes i see where you are coming from now. it is a person. was posting regularly up until a week ago. smart boy. or is he?

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

temp banned from Wanted for the moment. I've Pm'ed him too. I need to think about this, I dont like the idea of such "spam" but then its requested information. However I dont want to open the gates for one "person" to request something and another "person" to helpfully answer them with a link to their shop/affiliate deal. Not to mention that its a way I've considered for earning survival cash for boards itself!

hmmm.... *processing*

DeV.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I'm pretty sure sci0x isn't a bot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sci0x was banned from Bargains for linking his affiliate crap into a post re: Dell ....... you only had to go straight to the Dell site to get the same price , no dearer .

A shame he never learnt not to rip people off .... what happened to the Boards Revenue Assurance meta script ?

You seem awfully knowledgeable about an incident that appears to have happened several months before you signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

You don't believe in reincarnation ecksor?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ecksor wrote:
    You seem awfully knowledgeable about an incident that appears to have happened several months before you signed up.

Q. what happened to the Boards Revenue Assurance meta script ?
    A. nuthin obviously

Oh, it's you. I don't know why you feel the need to act as auditor around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Mmm im not a bot. I seem to have caused a lot of trouble here. I'll stop with the affiliate linking and if I am giving a link to a person who is looking for a product i'll leave out the affiliation. Sorry bout this.

Wait, what if I give a percentage of the earnings through these links to boards? I mean i am actually helping ppl find what they are looking for. Its not like im going around the place spamming links.

id be of the opinion that if people wanterd a link to a shop theyd request it in bargain alerts.
    if someone puts up a wanted thread theyve usually come to the conclusion that an online shop doesnt suit their needs.

As DeVore says above, this is something that needs a bit of thought and my reasoning is the same as his at first sight. Bear in mind that this could become academic if we actually get around to rewriting other site urls for the purposes of putting our own referrer links in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

ecksor wrote:
    As DeVore says above, this is something that needs a bit of thought and my reasoning is the same as his at first sight. Bear in mind that this could become academic if we actually get around to rewriting other site urls for the purposes of putting our own referrer links in there.
    Rewriting URIs is against the TOS for quite a few affiliate schemes.

Well, that's news to me. Thanks.

I've given up my amazon link phase. Could someone unban me from the Wanted forum. I forget who banned me from there for 3 weeks and the 3 weeks is long up :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

ecksor wrote:
    Well, that's news to me. Thanks.

ecksor check out thedvdforums.com they seem to have a very good process for linking there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 jimmy rodgers

what is a bot?

Advertisement