Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oasis

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Er... What the hell!? I explained it all in the following part of my post, which you seperated into two quotes! That's akin to if I took what you've just said above, and did this:

First of all what? :confused:
    haha.. very funny :)
    Regaurdless, it's still an example of why seperate boards are a bad idea.
    Yeah. Wouldn't it be good if people could be a bit more tolerant of bands they don't like though? I mean it's ok to say you don't like the band or you think they're crap or whatever but slagging people over the kind of music they listen to is going a bit far.
    Sure I think Oasis are CRAP but I didn't feel the need to tell the original poster when he asked if there were any Oasis fans here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

NotMe wrote:
    Yeah. Wouldn't it be good if people could be a bit more tolerant of bands they don't like though? I mean it's ok to say you don't like the band or you think they're crap or whatever but slagging people over the kind of music they listen to is going a bit far. Sure I think Oasis are CRAP but I didn't feel the need to tell the original poster when he asked if there were any Oasis fans here.

Now I'm looking over this thread again, and while there is certainly people who are voicing their opinions on Oasis being crap, but not one person actually slagged someone who consider Oasis to be good. I'm sure you can appreciate the difference between saying "So and so are crap!" and "So and so are crap, and you're a ****ing retard for liking them!" I'm sure you'll agree there's a very distinct difference there, and as long as nobody crosses that line, it's all fair play. I certainly couldn't advocate a policy of only posting opinions that are in agreement with the original poster. It's back to the notion of "Anyone like so and so?" and everyone else who'd reply would just say "Yep" "Uh-huh" and so on. It's pointless, especially when you consider what a discussion board is for.

The thing you'd have to keep in mind is that provided a seperate 'Rock' board was instituted, that certainly wouldn't mean that nobody would voice their dislike of the band, and I'm fairly sure you don't have to like Metal to hate Oasis. As Jimmy Jazz points out, what about the Blur/Oasis debate? I imagine a thread about that particular topic could get just as heated as the Metallica/Megadeth debate!

Another thing that could be a factor is that for the most part, Metal bands are fairly unknown compared to the likes of Oasis, so if I was to create a thread about Death, there'd be a select few people who'd reply to that, as most people wouldn't have heard of Death, they'd just go "Who?" and move on, whereas everyone has heard Oasis and as such, has an opinion on them.

Just for the record, I like blur. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Jimmy_Jazz

What's wrong with debate? And why exactly would you want to avoid it? It's the very thing that makes discussion boards interesting.
    Bit of a misunderstanding here, I think. I meant that an Indie forum would remain general enough to avoid "Yep" and "Uh-huh" threads - not to avoid debates! I was suggesting that the Oasis/Blur debate would thrive in an Indie forum.
    Just for the record, I like blur. :p
    So do I! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Now I'm looking over this thread again, and while there is certainly people who are voicing their opinions on Oasis being crap, but not one person actually slagged someone who consider Oasis to be good.
    Ok, I read back over the thread and I noticed that your first reply was only slagging most Oasis fans and not all of them so maybe I overreacted. :)
    I'm sure you can appreciate the difference between saying "So and so are crap!" and "So and so are crap, and you're a ****ing retard for liking them!" I'm sure you'll agree there's a very distinct difference there, and as long as nobody crosses that line, it's all fair play. I certainly couldn't advocate a policy of only posting opinions that are in agreement with the original poster. It's back to the notion of "Anyone like so and so?" and everyone else who'd reply would just say "Yep" "Uh-huh" and so on. It's pointless, especially when you consider what a discussion board is for.
    I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

NotMe wrote:
    Ok, I read back over the thread and I noticed that your first reply was only slagging most Oasis fans and not all of them so maybe I overreacted. :)

That's some pretty broad definition for 'slagging' so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Their first album is still their best IMO, and now that they've gotten rid of that tosser White on drums, the new album should be good.

Advertisement