Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheltenham Festival and Grand National Tips

• 17-02-2005 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Here are my selections and reason why for some races at Cheltenham and my selections for Grand National but not sure if all of these will make the cut.

Cheltenham

Arkle: My Will has beaten class horses including one of the fancied for this race Contraband. Should also have Ruby Walsh on board who loves Cheltenham.

Champion Hurdle: Back in Front is proven at Cheltenham and will get better of Hardy Eustace up the hill. Harchibald was favourite last year for novice hurdle and was dissapointing (i think he doesnt like Cheltenham)

Champion Chase: It will be between Azertyuiop and Well Chief and my selection is Azertyuiop because he was impressive last time out against Well Chief and he was giving 4lb and he has also won at Cheltenham. My only worry is that Well Chief was catching Azertyuiop up the run in last time and will the hill slow azertyuiop even more. Im not sure.

Champion Bumper: Refinement if he goes in it. He was second in it last year and will go one better after a years more work.

Ladbrokes World Hurdle: I really think Baracouda will be beat again this by Rule Supreme. When they raced each other last time Rule supreme flew at the end and i think with the help of the hill Rule Supreme will catch Baracouda this time. Rule Supreme also cant be a bad horse after beating Beef or Salmon who has beaten Best Mate this year.

Triumph Hurdle: My pick in this is an each way shot called Biscar Two, in both of his two races he has sprouted wings at the latter stages of his races but in both was too far behind to be noticed. However at Cheltenham I believe they will keep the horse closer up to give it its best possible chance. Once again with the hill and the faster pace of the triumph the rest of the field will come back to Biscar Two quicker than in other races he has been in.

Gold Cup: Thats for me to know to pick up the big winnings and u to find out when it wins.

Grand National: All of these are under 11st and have had previous experience of the national fences with good chances.

Hedgehunter
    Forest Gunner
    Clan Royal
    Longshanks
    Lord Atterbury These are my selections!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,327 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

mariah rollins is my pick for the arkle chase ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

Thanks for the tips laimdye but a couple of things

My Will will almost certainly miss the arkle for the one of the 2m5f chase - the Daily telegraph or the jewson. If you fancy him for the Arkle, it might be best if you wait for the horse to be definitely declared for the race. Nothing worse than not getting any run for your money.

Rule Supreme is far from certain to run in the World Hurdle. If you are to back him at this stage, you might want to consider bookies who are giving prices - with a run - if he is a non runner - you get your money back.

Just be careful with those two.

And, just to nit pick.

Harchibald ran in teh county hurdle (not a novice hurdle) last year.

Refinement is a she.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

liamdye wrote:
    Champion Chase: It will be between Azertyuiop and Well Chief and my selection is Azertyuiop because he was impressive last time out against Well Chief and he was giving 4lb and he has also won at Cheltenham. My only worry is that Well Chief was catching Azertyuiop up the run in last time and will the hill slow azertyuiop even more. Im not sure.

Aren't you forgetting somebody? I presume you're talking about second place.

Agree 100% with Master K.

Moscow Flyer is 11 now, and there will few chances left to make money off the horse. I have only backed him at odds against over fences, and the only time he let me down was in last years race. The real supersar of racing at the moment. To go unbeaten in completed chases (without injury or long time off the track) for nearly four years is a phenomenal record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Think a rethink is needed on the original post...You have plenty of time though Liam so get back to us with a few crackers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭goin'_to_the_PS

I would love to see Rince Ri win the grand national i know the owner and its such a heart breaking story of bad luck for him. Looking at his form i'd say he has a good chance too, he can go the distance and his jumping is up to standard...............but he might be a little old

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭rubberduckey

If Kicking king goes in Daily telegraph, he's a penalty kick.
    As a bonus if Pipe runs Our Vic in the race, Kicking King will be a proper price.

Sorry lads, but Rince Ri has very little chance of winning a grand natinonal at this stage of his career. he has been a fantastic horse for his owners, winning big races, but beacuse of that he has still a relatively high handicap mark. This added to the fact that he is no longer as good as he was, means that top class handicaps are just out of his reach. Amberleigh House gave hope for many veteran horses out there last year, but he loves Aintree, and is well handicapped for that reason. I just cant see it happening. Fantastic career for the horse, who was injured when young. Could have been a gold cup horse but for that.

I'll be astounded if Kicking King doesnt run in the Gold Cup. If he does, Our Vic becomes the penalty kick of the festival in teh Daily telegraph.

Agree with most of your post morgans, how do you think the Geraghty/Iris Gift/kicking king triangle will work out??? Looking forward to Iris's race tomorrow.

Hadnt even crossed my mind, but if I was geraghty I wouldnt leave Kicking King for anything. He may not stay the gold cup this year but he could rack up a huge number of big victories for the next three/four seasons. Hard to see what will beat him in next years KG. Iris's gift (and Baracouda) is/are slightly overrated by the general public IMO - no reason why Rhinestone Cowboy isnt better than both on Punchestown running, and while IG is obviously very good, he is injury prone, older, and yet to prove he will be as good over fences.

I suppose it depends how good the relationship is with Robert Lester. I'd say mcCoy wouldnt mind the ride should BArry choose KK.

KK will run in the gold cup.

• Advertisement

Cheers Morgans, I have to say I'm surprised Lester hasn't put the Gold Cup jockey on Iris's Gift tommorrow....Unless???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭The jock

Champion Bumper

O'Muircheartaigh

Supreme Novices' Hurdle

Justified

Irish Independent Arkle Chase

Ned Kelly

Smurfit Champion Hurdle

Accordion Etoile

Royal & SunAlli Novices' Hurdle

Racing Demon

Queen Mother Champ Chase

Thisthatandtother

Royal & SunAlliance Chase

L' Ami

Cheltenham Gold Cup

Strong Flow

L'brokes World Stayers Hdl

Rule Supreme (With a Run) 7/2

Triumph Hurdle

Phar Bleu 20/1

Cheers jock.

Would love to hear how you think TTAT will win the Champion Chase? he isnt one I've considered so far myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 liamdye

When I said the QMCC was between Well Chief and Azertyuiop I was on about who i would back. Although Moscow has a very good record when jumping fences i juts feel with two other good horses against him who could both challenge him up the run in if he is there. Watching some of Moscow Races i think he idles in front. Also Azertyuiop has very good form at Cheltenham. TTAO winning is also not out of the question because maybe it is unlikely but maybe the front three will challenge each other for the lead and all three may tire up the hill and something may come from behind to catch them. I however think if any it will Oneway who is relatively unexposed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 liamdye

two of my grand national tips did well at the weekend. Forest Gunner winning from the front with a jumping exhibiton and Hedgehunter beating Pizarro at Fairyhouse.

Both Forest Gunner and Hedgehunter will be strong fancies for the Grand National, and if you fancy them, I would punt on them now. Forest Gunner with a woman housewife riding, plus his record over national fences, will ensure that he is popular. He will have a big profile before the race. Hedgehunter will probably be Irelands no 1 hope and will be equally popular on the run up to the race.

I have big doubts about both horses stamina, plus their style of running is a disdvantage in the national. That said, you will get a great run for your money, and if they do stay well, it is very hard to knock either out of a place.

I dont think that Paul Nicholls thinks that TTAT has any chance of beating Az off levels, considering WC beat him three times in all, the last time giving him over 20lbs. I wouldnt back him with stolen money, and definitely not now, given that it is highly likely that he wont run in the race. Just interested to hear wht The Jock fancies him. Both One way and Rathgar Beau are interesting contenders in the race but have to improve an awful lot to challenge the big three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

I'd be pretty sure that Thisthatandtother will be going for the new Daily Telegraph Chase rather than the Champion Chase.

Three horses that I've backed ante-post:

Arkle Chase - War Of Attrition (happy with my 20/1)
    Champion Hurdle - Brave Inca (happy with my 14/1)
    World Stayers Hurdle - Rule Supreme (moderately happy with my 10/1, hoping that he runs in the race)

And two other Irish winners:

Champion Chase: Moscow Flyer
    Cross Country Chase: Spot Thedifference

As for the Grand National, you can get 20/1 on Timbera. If he runs, he'll be favourite on the day. Clan Royal and Hedgehunter to complete the first three.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭The jock

I picked Thisthatandtother because i got a tip for him off 5 different people including someone that rides out for paul nicholls in england.I only saw him entered in the betting for the queen mother chase and if he ran in that he would be a big e.w chance ,but i now know that Thisthatandtother is entered for the Daily Telegraph Chase so i would advise if he runs in that race he has a very big chance of winning!

Also for the grand national i would say Colonel Frank 25/1 and Kelami 33/1 as horse's with a big chance.

As thought, thisthatandtother withdrawn from Queen Mother Champion Chase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

For the grand national I'd give Celestial Gold as my viable chance to win it with my big outsider being the 33/1 Iznogoud - he's had a good performance or two recently and I feel that he might just have the staying power to place. Stay well away from the likes of Colonel Jack or Hedgehunter; class and form wise they are tempting choices but they're better suited to races with smaller numbers where they can really shine (i.e. 3.45 Kempton yesterday - Ground and numbers didn't suit Colonel Jack).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Colonel Frank? And I wouldn't be too quick to disregard Hegehunter's chances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭tiedcottage

Quite right re Thisthatandtother, but he seems to have that disease which has returned to haunt Rooster Booster this season, seconditis. Besides, if Kicking King runs in that race, he's a certainty and Our Vic would be favourite if not.

Colonel Frank can't be taken seriously for the National. Iznogoud doesn't strike me as big or strong enough. Tipping up at Becher's last year won't have helped and I think he's better on soft ground. He got it at Kempton yesterday, but though it's soft at Aintree more often than Cheltenham, it's still a slim possibility.

Clan Royal was my pick at the start of the season, but after the O'Neill saga I am doubting it. Would need proof of an upturn in fortunes before investing further.

Advertisement