Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheapest insurance for first time biker!

Options
  • 17-02-2005 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Basically just as the topic says. I am thinking of getting a motor bike and i only have a provisional license for it. Thinking something along the lines of a CBR 250 but the quote i was gettin off of Hibernian was €3710 third party. With the bike only costing me about €2500 or there bouts, it being a 95-96.

Does any one else know where to try for a quote, and hopefully get it cheaper.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What age are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

an easy way to get lower insurance is to buy a bike thats in a lower insurance group. If youre dead set on getting something sporty, expect to pay that bit extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Basically just as the topic says. I am thinking of getting a motor bike and i only have a provisional license for it. Thinking something along the lines of a CBR 250 but the quote i was gettin off of Hibernian was €3710 third party. With the bike only costing me about €2500 or there bouts, it being a 95-96.

All depends on what age you are, but going on the quote you got it looks like your 18-20 years old..
    If you buy the bike off a dealer then you can get a quote off AON who deal with bike dealers in this country, they are cheaper, but not by alot, you might get say 200euro off your quote with them but your still paying more by buying your bike off a dealer anyway..
    There is also Carole Nash, who only deal with over 21s and i think it requires a full licance aswell, not sure on that one.. If you are over 21 then give them a ring because they are usually cheaper..

If you got a quote like that then it dosent look like you going to get a much cheaper quote off anyone else..
    Best bet is to get a smaller bike for your first 2 years then go for the 250, (that what im doing!).. Try and go for a group 2 bike because the insurance is alot cheaper! Ive got a restricted Honda NSR125 which is not obviously as fast as a 250 but looks just as good as some of em! There are alot of 125cc bikes out there that you can choose from - Varadero, TDR etc etc..

There are your options, but please dont give those robbing insurance bastards over 3 and a half grand of your cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brophy

The thing that is killing me is that i am 22 and have a full car license for over 2 years now and have been driving for a further 3 years as a named driver....

Was told about classic bikes 15 years old and i can get classic insurance...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, unfortunately they don't take previous experience on different licence categories into account - it works the same way when going from two wheels to four. (I've had a full bike licence for a few years and maximum no claims on my bike, but it counts for zero on my car insurance).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

jeasus! your 22 and got quoted €3710 third party on a cibby 250?! You must be in Dublin for that kind of a quote..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Phryxus

kev boy wrote:
    There is also Carole Nash, who only deal with over 21s and i think it requires a full licance aswell, not sure on that one.. If you are over 21 then give them a ring because they are usually cheaper..

Carole nash also require a minimum of 2 years no claims, Or at least that's what I was told, I've also rang up to be told I had to be 23, But I'm fairly sure it's 21 with 2 years minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

brophy wrote:

Does any one else know where to try for a quote, and hopefully get it cheaper.

thanks in advance

Your getting your first bike and going for a cbr250? Are you mad :eek: Thats a fast bike, very powerful for such a small engine!! TBH i surprised they even quoted you.
    Better maybe to start with something a little more controlled, and on a lower insurance band. Susuki bandit or honda hornet might be a good choice. Bigger engines but lower insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Susuki bandit or honda hornet might be a good choice. Bigger engines but lower insurance.

What size engines are you talking about? The cost of insurance on a bandit or a hornet will be alot higher than that for a CBR250. Unless you're talking about 250cc Hornets or bandits (in which case the engine is the same size)..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

The thing that is killing me is that i am 22 and have a full car license for over 2 years now and have been driving for a further 3 years as a named driver....

You can only get classic insurance with a full license as far as i know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

What size engines are you talking about? The cost of insurance on a bandit or a hornet will be alot higher than that for a CBR250. Unless you're talking about 250cc Hornets or bandits (in which case the engine is the same size)..

My mistake. The cbr is group 5. Thought it was higher.

Im 23 prov A licence and was quoted 1700ish on a 600 bandit restricted (33bhp), this is still seen as group 10 insurance though. I do have 4 years no claims aswell. Might explain the difference.
    Was told that any bike with an 'R' in the title would be really expensive. 3710? i think that expensive!!
    He said best to stick to the street bikes for now. Wait until im older to get a racing bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

If you want cheap insurance then choose a smaller bike.

If your in Dublin and your commute is relatively short then go for a group 2 bike such as a Honda CG125.
    It may be jokingly slow but at least the insurance is cheap.

Otherwise wait till your a bit older or "move to the country" which should take a significant chunk out any insurance premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

honda hornet 250 has the same engine as the cbr250 so it goes the exact same speed
    its also a group higher with hibernian/aon
    cbr is a good learner bike, in any other country thats exactly what it is
    it is not a fast bike, its a quick enough 250, and because u have to rev the ass off it to get it goin its less threatenin than a restricted 600 wud be if u are just pottering along

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Billabong

Your wasting your money by going for a 250 straight off. If your only learning get a 125 custom, i.e. group 2 insurance and find a postal address somewhere outside Dublin. Otherwise you pay twice as much in dublin as compared to everywhere else in Ireland.

Dont buy a shiny first bike!! You will either crash it let it fall or just not be able to look after it properly ( all of the above in my case ). You will lose alot of money even for the slightest crash damage, especially on takky faired 250 wannabe sports bikes.

I got a Virago 125 8 months ago which i paid 1500 insurance (age 21, Hibernian) with a Dundalk address. (3100 for my dublin address). great for about 3 months while I gained, but after that its a pain in the ass. I've just upgraded to a bros 400 on which I cant wipe that silly smirk off my face when you can blitz, any car driver who feels like cutting you off. Carole nash have said they will insure me for 2000 on my provisional when i'm up for renewal in the summer with a 1 year NCB. (1500 if I pass my test), another 25% off when I turn 23. All in all I'll have being ripped off for two years, at which point the sacrafice will have been made and i'll be riding a respectable bike for reasonable cash.

Final note on this topic, Don't buy a bike for any reasons other than you hate traffic, you love bikes or your a complete nutcase. A bike will cost you more than a car, no question about it, untill of course your over the 25 year old barrier.

Don'd know if you know this but if you have a car policy with Hibernian, you get a further 25% off you car insurance.

P.S. Brophy, I'm assuming from your posts that your the same brohy from that **** hole of a class W110. I see your still wheelin and dealin as per usual. I've 2 months left with **** all prospects and thinkin you had the right idea in binning it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I've been thinking about getting a low powered motorbike for years, and with my 17th birthday (and provisional) coming up in April, I'm starting to seriously think about getting one for the summer. Is there *any* chance of getting anything bar a moped or a scooter insured at my age? I'm in the D6 postcode with private, off street parking.

Also, I spend a good chunk of my year (approx 4 months) in Kerry where my family have a permanant address. Would I be able to register a bike in Kerry and use it for a proportion of the year (i.e. School term time) up in Dublin or would that be illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

brophy wrote:
    Who does classic insurance for Bikes?
    I have a 17yr old Nx650 and I would like to insure it as a classic , ie limited mileage ,but when I spoke to Hibernian they fobbed me off.
    any ideas on who to go to?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Was told that any bike with an 'R' in the title would be really expensive.

Balls... my bike has three R's in the title. I better go re-mortgage...

Afaik, Carole Nash do classic insurance. But you have to satisfy certain criteria of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

CJhaughey wrote:
    Who does classic insurance for Bikes?
    I have a 17yr old Nx650 and I would like to insure it as a classic , ie limited mileage ,but when I spoke to Hibernian they fobbed me off.
    any ideas on who to go to?

I did look into this recently. I'm with CN and they do classic insurance. Was told the quote should be between 250 and 400 euros. AFAIK bike has to be garaged at night as per terms and conditions of fully comp insurance. Was looking at a nice 15 yo CBR1100.

Edit: Of course, the more astute readers will realise the CBR1100 was a later bike. There was a CBR1000 in 1990 which qualifies for classic insurance.

A-ominous that might be the ticket.
    I would be loath to part with it,as it's only done 20k since new in California.
    but to be honest I am just sick of paying money to the govt for nothing.
    I was going to sell it and get a Mx bike for riding in the hills but will check with CN on monday and get a quote.
    thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭IrishTW

I'm 22 with a full A1 license, 2 years NCD, passed the Hibernian ignition, living not near Dublin and am paying €1300 for third party insurance on a Honda Shadow 125! :(

On Hibernians website, it seems I can now get insured "cheaper" :( in a 1 litre car if I have 3 years no claims driving, which I soon will on my bike. I have a provisional car license. Does this (the bike NCD) count towards insurance for a car?

One other point - if I put the value of my bike at anything from €5 to €5000 on the website quote thingy, the cost of fully comp insurance is the same, i.e. about €1500 more than 3rd party - what a joke!!

Motorcycles as a means of cheaper insurance is not so true once you go past about 21 yrs of age IMO. It may be slightly cheaper but not worth it compared to the cost of insuring a small car. If I was to do Hibernians Ignition for provisional license holders, I asume it would come down further.

• Advertisement

@IrishTW
    Bike experience doesn't count for car insurance at all. I've been driving for nearly 20 years now :eek: and just started on bikes 3 years ago. My bike insurance is just over 800 and car is about 500. Full NCB on car. I did the Hibernian Ignition 2 years ago shortly after it was introduced. Got the 15% for that. Did RoSPA test last year, but Hibernian weren't interested. Carole Nash didn't give me a discount either, but I think that's because I didn't get gold or silver.

Anyhoo, my insurance over last 2 years was
    2002: 900 on a 125 cruiser, group 2, provisional licence. Hibernian
    2003: 730 on a 400 group 5 bike, full licence, Ignition. Hibernian
    2004: 830 on same 400cc group 5 bike. Full licence and RoSPA, CN. Hib wanted 900 again.

Oh I think someone mentioned a 25% discount for car and bike policies with Hibernian. I got 5% discount for the 2 policies.

I use the bike not for cheap insurance: it's not cheaper, it's substantially more. The bike is better in traffic, can be more certain of journey times and I rarely get hassled by the bike ride. 2-3 weeks ago on snow/ice; that's the sort of hassle I don't need.

@CJ, there might be other restrictions on the classic insurance from CN. I had a vague recollection of full licence (as already mentioned), but might also need a minimum NCB for 2 years.

If you do find out what the criteria are, could you add to the FAQ and post here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 mrhankey88

Final note on this topic, Don't buy a bike for any reasons other than you hate traffic, you love bikes or your a complete nutcase. A bike will cost you more than a car, no question about it, untill of course your over the 25 year old barrier.

bollox man!
    Im 19, and im playing just over 2k for my grp2 nsr125, the cheapest quote i got for a car, 1 litre polo, was just under 3k, so bike insurance for young people is cheaper then car insurance > grp2 bike vs 1.0l car.

Secondy, running costs - no comparsion, i nearly fill my tank with 7euro and it lasts me nearly all week, driving every day. Tax is also also cheaper..
    Cars are alot more expensive to run then bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mrhankey88 wrote:
    Secondy, running costs - no comparsion, i nearly fill my tank with 7euro and it lasts me nearly all week, driving every day. Tax is also also cheaper..
    Cars are alot more expensive to run then bikes.
    Only thing is that bikes require a lot more care and maintenance than a twice-yearly service.

a_ominous wrote:
    @IrishTW
    Bike experience doesn't count for car insurance at all. I've been driving for nearly 20 years now :eek: and just started on bikes 3 years ago. My bike insurance is just over 800 and car is about 500. Full NCB on car. I did the Hibernian Ignition 2 years ago shortly after it was introduced. Got the 15% for that. Did RoSPA test last year, but Hibernian weren't interested. Carole Nash didn't give me a discount either, but I think that's because I didn't get gold or silver.

Anyhoo, my insurance over last 2 years was
    2002: 900 on a 125 cruiser, group 2, provisional licence. Hibernian
    2003: 730 on a 400 group 5 bike, full licence, Ignition. Hibernian
    2004: 830 on same 400cc group 5 bike. Full licence and RoSPA, CN. Hib wanted 900 again.

Oh I think someone mentioned a 25% discount for car and bike policies with Hibernian. I got 5% discount for the 2 policies.

I use the bike not for cheap insurance: it's not cheaper, it's substantially more. The bike is better in traffic, can be more certain of journey times and I rarely get hassled by the bike ride. 2-3 weeks ago on snow/ice; that's the sort of hassle I don't need.
    Thanks for reply a ominous.
    I still would hope tpo get some sort of discount such as an intro bonus for having 3 years NCD with them. :rolleyes:

@ seamus - yeah bikes need alot more TLC than cars and can be quite expensive to service, :(

However, if you have NO driving experience bike insurance is actually cheaper than a car when you are younger (under 25), when you are over 25, it seems to go the other way :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

IMHO cars are a bit dearer initial cost but as was said service can be costly, bikes really are just for beating traffic as traffic is terrible in cities in irelan or for enthusiasts. I recently bought a bike, i would have preferred a car but was quoted 4000+ for a 1L car and 1500 on a bike so i opted for the cheaper, but bikes can be more hassle and are crap in bad weather

OK , Rang Carol Nash and asked how much for Classic insurance on a 88 Nx650 Dominator, Full license for 10yrs age 32.
    Answer : €310.72
    There you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Want cheap insurance, go work for hibernian instant 40% discount (includes full NCB that you cant loose even if you make a claim)

oh and classic insurance in CN needs you to be 25

gline wrote:
    ..., but bikes can be more hassle and are crap in bad weather
    Yep and the rain of yesterday will have pissed off (and on!!) a lot of people, including myself - so if you want to buy a bike buy it in the winter when people are more eager to get rid of them, in the summer they are more likely to have many more enquiries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

IrishTW wrote:
    Yep and the rain of yesterday will have pissed off (and on!!) a lot of people, including myself - so if you want to buy a bike buy it in the winter when people are more eager to get rid of them, in the summer they are more likely to have many more enquiries.

yep that is true

Advertisement