Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

As Standard

Options
  • 17-02-2005 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=57962

As a point , as each new console comes out some things get made standard others become peripherals.

N64 4 gamepad ports
    N64 analog
    PS1 memory card
    N64 rumble pad
    Ps2 DVD playback
    Xbox hard drive saves
    Xbox patches
    Gamecube wireless pads
    etc:

What do you hope for in the next gen conosle?

I want all of the above and 2 bloody controllers in the box from day one. So annoying being left poor and buying a ****ty pad for player 2.

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

I'd rather see console games released bug free than patches becoming standard myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

bongo controllers as standard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

KdjaC wrote:
    4 gamepad ports

my ps2 only came with 2 :/

on topic//
    i assume these wireless controllers are gonna have some sort of docking station like cordless phones?
    i cant imgine everyone rushing out to buy batteries every few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

There are good patches like this and there are bad patches like this regardless of type they still either 1. fix somfin like in PES4 that players not Konami ****ed up or 2 add extra stuff like Gaiden.

If you had Driv3r and got a patch that made it great , would you feel better about your purchase?

Tbh expect patches to come for all next gen consoles in some or other and theres the modding side of it which is also nice.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

do you reckon consoles are gonna have install files? - mandatory saves or something

i know games like pes automatically save a config file,
    but if they wanted to update players, rotate billboards, surely theyd need a designated bit of info to alter,
    could this lead to gta:pc style mods or even entire roster updates ala pes3 on ps2? [modded ps2 only]

• Advertisement

Chalk wrote:
    my ps2 only came with 2 :/

on topic//
    i assume these wireless controllers are gonna have some sort of docking station like cordless phones?
    i cant imgine everyone rushing out to buy batteries every few days

hence the N64 before it, wireless pads are simply superb , i would recommend buying some rechargeable batteries , wave birds dont have docking stations but my PC ones do , so dunno what MSFT going for.

You can download new option files for PES4 on xbox afaik now.

kdjac

If you had Driv3r and got a patch that made it great , would you feel better about your purchase?
    Of course I would, but console games shouldn't need patches. The game is always going to be played on the same hardware, unlike PC games, so IMHO there is no excuse for releasing a console game in as buggy a state as something like driv3r. I would hate to see consoles go down a route where games are released unfinished wih publishers thinking "we'll save a few bob on testing, and patch it later". As for extra content, like with Ninja Gaiden, it would be nice to see more of it.

Why associate patches with buggy games? patches can be for more than bugs content, streamlining, new code to run a game faster etc:

PES 4 wasnt buggy but users found a way to circumvent the online scoring system, people are like that , they will cheat and will find a way to cheat.

Patches keeps things in order.

kdjac

There are rumours that xbox 2 won't have a hard drive, I think that would be a real backward step, it's so much handier than having to fork out more money on memory cards, and it opens up all sorts of possibilities that haven't really been explored yet, I would love to be able to buy a console that functions as a media centre pc for example, without having to get it chipped. I don't like the way memory cards were implemented on ps2, using patented technology so no more cheap 3rd party alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

The big reason for Sony using "magic gate" on there memory cards was to stop cheating online. If it was simple to make memory card readers/writers people could just download someone savegame and have all weapons/cars/higher levels etc.

• Advertisement

Why associate patches with buggy games
    ?
    I've been playing KOTOR2. :( I just think publishers will use easy "patchability" as a way to release utested/unfinished games to meet deadlines. I can see the benefits of it aswell, I just think console games could go the way of PC games, where the first thing I do after installing a new game is look for the patch. It's understandable with PC games where everybody has a different hardware setup, but I don't trust games companies to resist the temptation to get something out for christmas or whatever, rather than wait until it's fully finished. The other way to look at it is that we would get loads of nice mods, enhancements, etc. for console games and that would be great, and I hope it happens.

The big reason for Sony using "magic gate" on there memory cards was to stop cheating online.

I think the major reason for it was so that they could make a whole pile of money by forcing people to buy sony memory cards, and stop 3rd parties making cheaper higher capacity cards, like on the ps1. Can you not copy savegames from one card to another on the ps2? Mines busted so I can't check and I don't remember off the top of my head if you could or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Yeah, you can transfer files from one memory card to another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

wireless pads were confirmed for XBox2 earlier today!

class - but no word on how they'll be powered.

EDIT: speelling

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

abccormac wrote:
    There are rumours that xbox 2 won't have a hard drive.

I think it was confirmed by microsoft that it won'tm have a hard drive.
    The big reason for Sony using "magic gate" on there memory cards was to stop cheating online.

Yeah right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I think it was confirmed by microsoft that it won'tm have a hard drive.

No it wasn't..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

KdjaC wrote:
    and 2 bloody controllers in the box from day one.

The NES came with 2 controllers. Them were the days.

Last I heard about the Xbox2 was that there would be a range of consoles, including both a hard-drive model and a HDless model, giving people the choice whether to shell out extra for the HD or not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I herad there would be 3 models, basic console, media consle, PC Console

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Ciaran500 wrote:
    The big reason for Sony using "magic gate" on there memory cards was to stop cheating online. If it was simple to make memory card readers/writers people could just download someone savegame and have all weapons/cars/higher levels etc.

....as opposed to just knocking over to your mate's house, slapping two cards in and copying the blocks across?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

They have to have wavebirds,i mean wireless pads as standard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

One of those Smart GameFRAG things. Had a go at a mates house with one, and they're so damn nice. Mine's on it's way - playing Halo 2 with it is so much better. Bit off iffyness with them regarding some games and configs but all consoles should ship with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Spike wrote:
    One of those Smart GameFRAG things. Had a go at a mates house with one, and they're so damn nice. Mine's on it's way - playing Halo 2 with it is so much better. Bit off iffyness with them regarding some games and configs but all consoles should ship with them.

what is it and do you have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

SyxPak wrote:
    ....as opposed to just knocking over to your mate's house, slapping two cards in and copying the blocks across?
    Big difference between the two. In one you have the internet. With the internet things get global. Think of copying music. It's been possible for years and years to copy cassettes (or even CDs) for a friend. But when lots of people started making music available on the internet, it became a whole other issue.

You can buy adapters to connect a ps2 memory card to your pc. Link

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Syth wrote:
    Big difference between the two. In one you have the internet. With the internet things get global. Think of copying music. It's been possible for years and years to copy cassettes (or even CDs) for a friend. But when lots of people started making music available on the internet, it became a whole other issue.

And how is trading your own savegames with others on the net illegal?
    It's a different medium to airmailing your mem card to your friend in Hong Kong, but in principle it's no different.
    Sony just wanted to have a monopoly on producing the cards so they could sell them at their usual outrageous prices.
    8Meg (64Mbit) of flash storage costs bugger-all to make, and didn't exactly cost a wole lot when the PS2 was first released.

Advertisement