Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just Wondering

Options
  • 17-02-2005 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here ever been called a Know-it-all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭gigglingrat

Only by my mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭larry

Yes, but not always phrased quite so politely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Yes, yes I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

yes, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Yes.
    Although now they just say things like, "WTF you'll get As in everything anyway!", which is a slightly different thing. Annoying nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭gigglingrat

Is there a point to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

yeah sure i do, but i do know everything so i dont mind it. i usually quip to the person ''haw haw, you are pointing out something more obvious than the the sheer talent of Da Vincis Sistine Chapel", they wander off muttering something about michelangelo. Idiots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

larry wrote:
    Yes, but not always phrased quite so politely.
    (see quote)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

nope! but maybe that's because i'm a complete idiot. and i do know lots, i just keep schtum about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

Yes, but as a compliment. Plus, when I talk extensively about something, I generally know a lot about the subject, I tend to keep quiet when it comes to things I don't know about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

No, never

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

Many times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

Actually, i have been called that once....:s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

Yes.
    Although now they just say things like, "WTF you'll get As in everything anyway!", which is a slightly different thing. Annoying nonetheless.
    Most annoying thing EVER. I've taken to screaming "Yes, because I was clearly born with the entire contents of the biology book already in my head so I never spend a minute studying, never LOOKED at the book..." at them. Gob****es.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

Caoimhe wrote:
    Most annoying thing EVER. I've taken to screaming "Yes, because I was clearly born with the entire contents of the biology book already in my head so I never spend a minute studying, never LOOKED at the book..." at them. Gob****es.

hm, a common misconception.. being of a higher than normal intelligence does not necessarily guarantee you exam success, you still have to learn the sh*t. (even though your grasp of the material may be somewhat elevated above that of a non-ctyizen) Also, the Irish educational system is not a test of intelligence, but rather a test of how adept the student is at learning some material over 2 years, and regurgitating it during a 2 week period...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

The Irish system rewards effort, as opposed to intelligence. It is possible for anyone in the country to get all A's in the leaving cert. That may just mean devoting a larger part of their life than they are willing to devote to attain. (Which isn't a slur on how devoted they are.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yes, my parents have confused intelligence with studying/hard work. My mum was going on at me about 'how the hell is this girl ctyi?' when I wasnt getting all As in my my Christmas tests :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dervy

No not nessicarily Pink Pimp (Colm?). There are several reason as to why someone would be at a disadvantage to others in doing the leaving cert and therefore not have the same chance of achieving all A's. What if they missed a huge amount of school time due to an illness or are dislexic or something? Also being smart would give you a better chance of doing well in exams as it would more than likely mean that you would pick up the information faster in class and then it would be easier to study it and for it to stay in your memory come exam time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

dervy wrote:
    ......or are dislexic or something?.......
    dyslexic* :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

also, a lot of people can't teach themselves something. for instance, i have a crap maths teacher. lots of people in my class didn't do well in the JC because of this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭snuffles

People tell me I'm too smart for my own good quite alot.

And I say 'Yes, yes I am'.

I think most CTYIers will have had the fact that they're above average intelligence thrown back in their face at one point or another. Saying, 'No, I'm really not that smart' only brings on yet more slagging for false modesty. I'm not saying getting in people's faces with the whole 'talented youth' thing is a good idea, but if people insist on bringing it up with comments like 'know-it-all' and it's less polite variations, why not have some elitist fun with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Dalamar

Once or twice. Hasn't happened in a long time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Joycey

I dont think the fact that you were in CTYI means you are above average intelligence... It just means you are good at the test thing that they give you and you have enough money to pay to get in... Though granted almost everyone in there is above average intelligence even if it does sound a bit arrogant to say it heh

EDIT: and no its never happened to me :)

Dalamar wrote:
    Once or twice. Hasn't happened in a long time though.

Lies, I'm sure I had to have said it at least once on saturday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

At this stage I'm called "all-knowing" as a term of affection from my friends. Along with
    "You NERD!!!" (despite the most common offender plays way more computer games than I do and is an amateur Tolkien scholar and likes stargate. _None_ of the above apply to me)

You clearly have no life without those three things then O_O

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Yes, and it's super-irritating. That's why I hate telling people my exam results. If I do well, they get really annoyed and are like "Yeah well you're a know-it-all anyway". If I don't do as well, they're like "Ha ha I beat the smart kid"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Undergod wrote:
    At this stage I'm called "all-knowing" as a term of affection from my friends. Along with
    "You NERD!!!" (despite the most common offender plays way more computer games than I do and is an amateur Tolkien scholar and likes stargate. _None_ of the above apply to me)

Who DOESN'T like stargate? Oh, the intellectual stimulation...how I love thee faithful S-G-1 team.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Stargate WAS good. Then it just got annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭TalkISCheap

Used to be produced by jonathan glassner & brad wright if memory serves, and then one/both ran off into the sunset clutching wads of money, and didn't come back. then yes, it took a decided turn for the worse. like star trek when gene roddenberry died....

(gets sinking feeling that he's just opened Large Can of Worms. yes there will be no more star trek. with the recent quality, good riddance metinks....)

Advertisement