Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Ban

Options
  • 18-02-2005 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hello I was wondering can anyone give me advice on having a driving license reinstated?A friend of mine was banned from driving in 2000 for fifteen years for driving with no tax or insurance does anyone know when is the earliest he could try to have his license reinstated?Or any insurance companies that might cover him if and when he gets back on the road?Any help with this would be great. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ibanez wrote:
    A friend of mine was banned from driving in 2000 for fifteen years for driving with no tax or insurance

Are you a little economic with the truth there?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

yeah seems slightly excessive, isnt it 5 or 6 points for driving without insurance. are you sure he didnt have a couple of bottles of vodka n his system. I dont think the joyriders who killed the gards got that long of a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭ibanez

Its the truth i was in court on the day.He was charged with six counts of driving with no tax or insurance and to make things better the cop told the judge that he had no driving license even though he had.He asked the gaurd why he said he had no license and his answer was that he had never seen it. The license was presented at a different garda station where the the gaurd wasnt stationed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

in all fairness 6 counts of driving without tax or insurance makes your friend a complete tool and he should'nt expect to get back behind the wheel of a car for the remainder of the 15 years he was given, personally i think he should have been banned for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My guess would be 2015. They are pretty strict on this kind of stuff and with 6 counts of the same offence don't expect any favours.

If you do the crime you must do the time.

If he was caught 6 times don't you think he will be caught a 7th time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I would suggest that your friend talk to his solicitor. If the Garda gave false/incorrect evidence leading to his conviction he has grounds to have the conviction overturned. That said I don't have much sympathy for him.

Yes he was an idiot to do it and im not making excuses for him but he was nineteen at the time.He is twenty five now with a child and a job hes good at everyone deserves a second chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

maybe he would deserve a second chance if he got caught once.....but he got caught 6 times, that kinda tells me he did'nt give a flying fook and thought he could continue to get away with it. i would'nt expect any give on the 15 years though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

Once have the period of the disqualification is up he can apply to the district court for his license back. This means he cannot do so until around 2006/2007 by the look of things. The district court is under no obligation to accede to the request, the judge may turn it down particularly if a guard objects. I suggest he seeks legal advice if he wishes to go down this route.

Regarding insurance, ARB may cover him but it will be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

needs to get a solicitor and if the evidence wasnt stated correctly it will be thrown out and hel b back on the road in a few months :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ibanez wrote:
    everyone deserves a second chance.
    erm, he had a second chance, and a third, fourth and fifth and sixth but he blew all of these!

Anyway, should he be desperate to get back on the road (and driving again without tax or insurance) he could always get himself a licence from another EU state.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Sorry, m8 - but no sympathy whatsoever from these quarters :mad:

See, on one hand you get muppets like me toiling like slaves to afford nice wheels and (very important this) maintain and insure them to be fully legit,

And on the other hand you get people like your mate not bothering whatsoever, in full knowledge of the facts, AND expecting

my stratospherical insurance premiums (which are so in good part because of people like him) ;
    my ever-increasing donations to the taxman for being allowed to use public roads ; and
    my regular donations to car doctors for keeping my cars roadworthy (in consideration of other road users),

to make up for his selfishness, if and when -God Forbid- he f*cks up on the road...

Second chance? kbannon is right, he had it right after he was done the first time. By the sounds of it, he's only now learning from his mistake anyway, 6 years or so later, so 15 years is not way out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Sure its 2005 now.... the time will pass int he blink of an eye..

If your mate was driving a car with no tax or insurance, why would he give a ****e about having a license or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kbannon wrote:
    Anyway, should he be desperate to get back on the road (and driving again without tax or insurance) he could always get himself a licence from another EU state.
    That still won't cover him here, he's banned from driving a vehicle regardless. He'd have to move to another EU state.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

seamus wrote:
    He'd have to move to another EU state.

maybe not a bad idea all round?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

ibanez wrote:
    Its the truth i was in court on the day.He was charged with six counts of driving with no tax or insurance and to make things better the cop told the judge that he had no driving license even though he had.He asked the gaurd why he said he had no license and his answer was that he had never seen it. The license was presented at a different garda station where the the gaurd wasnt stationed at.

Given the gravity of the case, why was it not presented at the station where the Garda was presented at? What station did he say he would present his licence at? The Garda can't be blamed if your mate wandered into some obscure Garda station the day before the court case. Did he not present the licence to the judge on the day?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

BrianD wrote:
    Given the gravity of the case, why was it not presented at the station where the Garda was presented at? What station did he say he would present his licence at? The Garda can't be blamed if your mate wandered into some obscure Garda station the day before the court case. Did he not present the licence to the judge on the day?
    Usually/always the garda asks which station you are choosing to show your licence within 10 days and they will check after the 10 are up to see if it was shown. Obviously the OP's idiot friend did not show his licence at his chosen station.

kbannon wrote:
    Usually/always the garda asks which station you are choosing to show your licence within 10 days and they will check after the 10 are up to see if it was shown. Obviously the OP's idiot friend did not show his licence at his chosen station.
    Some details to clear this up my friend was stopped in a village by the local gaurd approx seven miles from the main garda station.When asked where he wanted to produce his license he said he would bring it to the garda station in his town which he did i know this because i drove him there and went in with him.Another gaurd checked his license and gave it back to him. When he appeared in court the gaurd that stopped him said he had no license.Met the gaurd later and i asked why he said that and he said he had never seen my friends license and thought he didnt have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Does the guard in the chosen station not have to give a read receipt as such for looking at his license.Its not the 80's and "yeah sure thats fine be on your way" anymore,he deserves everything he got.Its a pity he didn't get a jail term on his 2nd or 3rd offence at least he would have copped on (hopefully) to his stupidity.

No the gaurd didnt give any form of reciept and yes he did get jail for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

Did he produce his license at the scene, as it is now an offence not to be able to produce your license if you are asked by a guard having being pulled over?

No didnt produce at the scene this happened five years ago when you didnt have to carry your license with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I had to produce my licence at a Garda Station well over 5 years ago. The details were entered into some sort of log book. Therefore there would be evidence of his licence being produced. Perhaps your friend popped into the station and picked up a voter registration form while you waited outside.

I don't really mean to be smart but it just doesn't add up! If you friend had a licence and produced it as required why did he get jail? If there was an error I would certainly be fighting rather than facing the clink.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

ibanez wrote:
    Yes he was an idiot to do it and im not making excuses for him but he was nineteen at the time.He is twenty five now with a child and a job hes good at everyone deserves a second chance.

I was 17 when I got my first car... and I STILL GOT INSURANCE! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yeag age isnt an issue, if he couldnt afford to drive he shouldnt have driven. I started at 18 and was paying €600 a month for the car and insurance. I then had to tax and put petrol in it.

Advertisement