Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you study?

Options
  • 18-02-2005 2:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm just wondering where you find is the best place to study.

I am on midterm breadk at the moment, when I go back I'm signing up for evening study, as it'll be quiet and there wil be no disturbing or stuff like that. Also means that if I am in the study room in the school, you will be sitting there for 2-3 hours which means you'll have to study, because there will be nothing else to do.

Where do you study? 40 votes

In my house
    0% 0 votes
    In the libary
    57% 23 votes
    In school
    5% 2 votes
    Other
    37% 15 votes
    I am a rebel and I dont study
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Im only in 5th year, but believe me you find other things to do in study, mess with your mates beside you , txt people , just listen to music etc.

Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

I am in 5th year aswell, but the main reason I am planning to go to study is because I find it hard to study here, and need the silence and order(from the teachers) there is at evening study. I mean, I deffinatly wont be bringing my minidisc player or be texting people. I really want to start studing, because I do NOT want to have a really tough 6th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

school is the best in my opinion, in my school it's fairly hard to mess with people around you, you can "txt" people but that's sad, you pay money for a service and you can't wait to get out.

No I am paying for this service because I know I will(in time) get used to it and it'll help me to become focused on the leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

yeh i know, what i mean was that i find it stupid that people pay for study in school but 5 minutes before the end they've packed up their stuff rearing to get out the door

• Advertisement

what you mean? I think the general Idea after study is that you pack up your stuff??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Bididdlina

i did study for my junior and it was the only thing that kept me sane
    it was so nice to come home and watch guilt-free tv!
    i did it during fifth year aswell, but this year...i know it's ironic or something but i was less bothered.... and my mum bought me a giant study desk for home

btw, if u sit up the front you'll be less tempted to mess around! i think evening study is a great idea if you're finding it too boring at home, onoly thing is though working 3hours without a break WRECKS you

Yeah I know what you mean about 3 hours wrecking you, but think about it this way, it pleases the parents, you're getting the work done for your own benefit, and it helps you get into a routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Shrimp wrote:
    it pleases the parents,

those being the key word, nothing worse than your parents hassling you to study and work better, but better to get into your own routine rather than being forced than to study against your will

exactly grimloch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

I find it impossible to study in study, I only get homework done. People are just so bloody noisy when they're studying and the lack of talking just makes everything louder... I guess I can study fairly easily at home though, no siblings living there so its pretty quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭R.D

I too find it hard to study though being totally honest I'm easily distracted so all I need to do is to get into some form of daily rountine. But when I do study it's in my room...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

shrimp, theres loads of stuff you can do in evening study! Like get a pda and play AoE over the wifi with your mates, or listen to your ipod/whatever or just catch up on sleep. if you find it hard to tudy at home, you will also find it difficult to study in school. IMO

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    if you find it hard to tudy at home, you will also find it difficult to study in school. IMO

thats right for some people, personally if im in study take the attitude, im here for the next hour and a half, i may as well do something productive with my time
    I only get homework done

yeah most people are like that but doing good homework well is just as good as study

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

ok heres my two cents.....
    you're only in fifth year doin supervised study/study hall -whatever ya call it- now is a great idea!! you will adjust to doing homework in that amount of time so when ya go to 6th yr when the real fun begins ya'll hav ur work done and can do study [if u choose to] at home, or now since ur only in 5th yr ya can doss around at home pretty much guilt free [with the added bonus of parents thinkin ur a swot!]
    i'm a supervised study veteran i've done it since first yr...yeah i kno.... but i think ur payin for it you'll eventually get bored messin with mates etc. and ya'll knuckle down and get some work outta the way!
    dont know if i got my point across rightly havin difficulty thinking....i blame the unecessary stress that are the mocks!
    edit: rightly what the fucuk??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

i do supervised study in school and its really strickt get caught talking once or if your phones goes off or if you dont bring in a note the next day if u miss a study you get kicked out right aways bout 10 gone so far this year oh and u cant leave the study hall to go to the bathroom n if yer even a minute late u cant come in i find it hard to study any place but i find school the best cause you cant do anything else. however we have made up our own sign launage for inside study but its waaaaaaay to much hassle to carry a conversation with it so were left with just study or sittin there feelin hungry or needing to pee

our study can be strict, but depends on the supervisor. worst thing that ruins study is peole coughing, whispering incessantly and otherwise acting the prat, that can reduce efficiency quite a bit and i can understand people saying study has distractions to the point where its a waste of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

I study in my room, however, half of the time I procrastinate like a f**ker.

quank wrote:
    I study in my room, however, half of the time I procrastinate like a f**ker.

hehe thats very true, when youre in your room theres so many more interesting things to occupy your time than study

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

grimloch wrote:
    our study can be strict, but depends on the supervisor. worst thing that ruins study is peole coughing, whispering incessantly and otherwise acting the prat, that can reduce efficiency quite a bit and i can understand people saying study has distractions to the point where its a waste of time

Bashir anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

I have study in school from 4.15 to 7, but not on Fridays. And most days there is only me and another 2 who stay until 7, as you have the option of going home at 5.45. Then on the evenings when no-one else stays til 7 (you have to have a minimum of 2), I go home promising myself I will do something at home ... but I don't, like this evening!

Rredwell wrote:
    promising myself I will do something at home ... but I don't, like this evening!

i reckon ive stopped kidding myself about it, i do have intentions but ive stopped bringing home an unrealistically heavy bag, definately have a motivation problem after fourth year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I do study in school too. It's good to get your homework done, but I need to take a break every while to regenerate myself, and there's only a handful of teachers that give us a break. I usually get my homework done in study, chillax for a bit and do a bit more at home.

My room is dangerous though, 2 guitars, hi-fi, punchbag, a mountain of enticing literature at my fingertips. Usually I can get the work done there, but the odd time it's a complete joke.

My school doesn't do mocks though, thank god. And they don't care if you don't go to study; they leave it up to yourself. Much better way to do it than forcing you in there IMO. The people who are in study are there to get work done and it works out that way.

With all that said, here I am a little over a week before my summer tests at 10:30 and I'm sitting at the computer :(

i reckon ive stopped kidding myself about it, i do have intentions but ive stopped bringing home an unrealistically heavy bag, definately have a motivation problem after fourth year

100% Agreed. 4th year ****ed me over homework/study/commitment wise so much it's terrible. For the first month of 5th year I was in shellshock about this magical process called homework & study. Even up to the Christmas tests I couldn't get back into it. It took the shock of my poor christmas results to get my flesh into gear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

At home, a week ago I was in my sitting room but then a big spider ran across the table so I freaked out, now I'm studying in my room, but unfortunately I have a laptop with broadband in my room and a tv, big distractions, then again it takes the littlest thing to distract me from study.

*Angel* wrote:
    At home, a week ago I was in my sitting room but then a big spider ran across the table so I freaked out, now I'm studying in my room, but unfortunately I have a laptop with broadband in my room and a tv, big distractions, then again it takes the littlest thing to distract me from study.

im out of my room because there was an abnormally large spider there....

im going to have to get my act together soon though, summer tests coming up in about a week and a half now and id prefer to go into sixth year with some quality groundwork laid

Advertisement