Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting Together a AMD64 3000+?

Options
  • 18-02-2005 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭

My brother got the following
    Amd64 3000+ chip which he plans to overclock it a little.
    Asus Delux motherboard with PCI-Express port.
    485watt noisetaker PSU
    Coolmaster case
    160gig Seagate sata HardDrive
    1Gig pc4000 ram "was not cheap but is good ram"
    Nec 3520 DVD burner

I my self have put together a Amd 2600+, I was just wondering if there is any differince in putting a Amd64 system to a Amd32 system. Is there anything i should look out for ect? If not well then i will put it together tonight for him.

Also he has no video card yet, but i was just wondering if an old PCI card would work on the machine ? Just fit it to one of his 3 PCI ports and fire away i guess ?
    His waiting for some money before he gets his PCI-Express card.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

If the only drive is SATA then you will need to insert a floppy during the text part of Windows setup('Press F6 to install...')
    You should make this floppy from the CD of the motherboard drivers.

You could always slipstream the SATA drivers but it's a bitch to do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

WizZard wrote:
    If the only drive is SATA then you will need to insert a floppy during the text part of Windows setup('Press F6 to install...')

I tried that following instruction i found but it didnt work so yes its a bitch.
    I cant imagine installing a amd 64 to be any different to a 32 bit one. Different chip maybe but i think the principal is the same. Read the in stuctions a few times, take a good look at the part and in what order to fit then and go install it all. Dont rush it and make sure you ground your self first.

Jozi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

WizZard wrote:

Some of the more expensive boards come with the drivers already on floppy but otherwise you just gotta copy the folders for all the os's on and then during setup itll ask you to chose one

BadCharlie wrote:
    Also he has no video card yet, but i was just wondering if an old PCI card would work on the machine ? Just fit it to one of his 3 PCI ports and fire away i guess ?
    His waiting for some money before he gets his PCI-Express card.

An old 3d card wont do itll have to be a 2d+3d card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I've installed my SATA like 4-5 times and never had a problem. Just press F6 as soon as you see windows asking for it and you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Yeah but on alot of boards the drivers are only on the cd and you gotta copy them onto floppy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Yeah thats what I had to do with my old motherboard. The K8N Neo2 gives a floppy for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Update

Thanks for all the advise guys.
    Well i put it together took over 2 hours maybe 3 as i was reading everything.

We have not got to use it as the old PCI card was not picked up by the motherboard. Infact we got no screen when trying to boot up. All we got was the green light all the fans turning on, and after about 5 or 6 seconds of this you get a load long beep then stop and long load beep when booting. This would go on for some time if i would let it so i just powered it down. I think the beep was cause it could not detect any video card, my brother ordered it and should have it this weekend we think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Update

My brother got his Ati800xl video card yesterday so we fited it that night. It started to give another beeping noise but it was a little faster. After messing around for some time we found that the ram liked to be the last 2 ram slots on the motherboard. So after that it booted with NP at all to bios where we changed the settings to look for ide/sata when booting which. It did not have to install any drivers for it to find his sata drive so we installed windows and other programs.

Today we might get the chance to run some benchmarks "only have 2005 the other ones i lost and not dl again with 56k".
    Also i could not overclock his chip in bios i hope i can do it when windows boots up might just need to install some utilty program.

Advertisement