Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance question

Options
  • 18-02-2005 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭

How do you go about getting insurance for your bike. With regard to theft etc, is it merely a case of specifying the make, model and value of your bike to your house insurer? Would they normally add a premium for this, or should it be considered part of your 'contents'.

Is there any special policy available in Ireland for cycling that would cover accidents, bike damage, injury etc while on the road, as well as proper, specific cover for theft (not necessarily from the home).

I am looking for the latter, preferably ... any one any ideas? What are the costs involved?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

Ah, u ain't going to believe this and I am not going to be of much help but anyways! I have a expensive racer in my garage and it has not been insured since I came back from Germany last year. My advise however is to go to the company that you have your house insured under (or the landlord for that matter) and get it insured under the contents of the house. I did this in Germany when I was there and it was very cheap. Secondly you could ask AXA Insurance. They are very good regarding it I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

Sorry I forgot to mention that they will want a receipt most probably which will contain the make, model and year of it. they will go thru' the procedures with u then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

In terms of the health insurance Cycling Ireland have arranged what looks like a very good package this year, I presume the details are on their site.

Theft - try your home insurance first, they typically impose an unrealistically low limit though. Beyond that not that I've heard. But I'd be interested and I'm sure the insurance companies would respond to requests

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I got my house & contents insurance through Coyle Hamilton on Nassau Street. I think the policy is with Royal Sun Alliance.
    My Specialized Rockhopper would cost about 1k to replace (obviously it's a worth a lot less with 5 years of depreciation).
    Every year I shop around for cheaper insurance but, as uberwolf said, the value of the bike is well above the silly limits allowed by other insurance companies.

I provide the make, model and serial number on my policy.

Advertisement