Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK Full Motorbike Licence

Options
  • 18-02-2005 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi there
    I have recently passed the category A (full) motorcycle test in UK. So will be added to UK licence.
    Does this mean that as in the UK I can now ride any cc'ed bike over here on this licence? In other words I dont have to have the 2 year period with restricted bikes here ?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not sure. Some sources would seem to imply that if you swap your UK licence for an Irish one, you will have the two year restriction (regardless of how long you've been driving in the UK), but if you hold onto your UK licence, you should be able to drive unrestricted, no problem.

Dept. of transport might be a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

I don't have an answer for you, but I'm interested to see what happens. Did you do Direct Access as well? I'm not even sure if that's a separate test.
    I think the UK licence is in 2 parts: one card you carry with you and a separate document that has all the details. Is there a restriction period listed on this document? If so, I'd reckon the restriction applies.
    Then again race cans that are legal in Ireland and illegal in UK can be used in UK so long as it has Irl plates.
    So inconsistency may allow you to ride a bigger bike. But the insurance will break the bank :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Did you do the Direct Access test in the UK?

You would know if you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

Hi

I originally asked because I found it hard to get hold of anyone in the Dept of Transport in Ballina to confirm to me - but I persevered on the phones just now and got through to someone who said that if there is no restriction on which bike I can ride on my UK licence in the UK (which there isnt - I did the Direct access test there) then there is no restriction applicable in Ireland if I keep my UK licence (which I intend to do)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 34,854 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

seamus wrote:
    I'm not sure. Some sources would seem to imply that if you swap your UK licence for an Irish one, you will have the two year restriction (regardless of how long you've been driving in the UK), but if you hold onto your UK licence, you should be able to drive unrestricted, no problem.

If the UK (or other EU) licence is unrestricted, then you are entitled to swap it for an unrestricted Irish one.

It will say on the licence whether it is restricted or not.

That doesn't imply that the muppets in the road tax office won't get it wrong, they do frequently. Some of the road tax offices refer queries about their own regulations to MAG Ireland because they can't answer them :rolleyes:

BTW you're not obliged to swap the licence for an Irish one after 12 months any more. You can if you want.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
Advertisement