Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ask a lecturer II.

Options
  • 18-02-2005 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

I'm a lecturer in Arts at UCD.

This is an anonymous forum.

Is there anything you want to ask me that you wouldn't dare ask in person?

Is there anything you want to tell me that you think I should know (but probably don't)?

I promise to be honest (brutally, if need be).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

what subject?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Eoin Macollamh

rain on wrote:
    what subject?

I'd rather not say. I think anonymity is important and I don't want to risk mine.

Also, my interest in this is unrelated to my subject.

Fair enough. Assuming you were single, would you do a student, and if yes, would it affect the grades you gave them?
    (this is going to be horrible if you're my lecturer whose wife is supposedly a former postgrad student of his. Oo-er.)

rain on wrote:
    Fair enough. Assuming you were single, would you do a student, and if yes, would it affect the grades you gave them?

Interesting question. I think it's probably one that every lecturer has thought about.

I honestly don't think I would, even though I could imagine being tempted. First, the consequences could be catastrophic. I don't think I could be fired for it (the only condition under which that can happen according to my contract is 'gross moral turpitude' and affaris with students don't count). Nevertheless there could be other consequences: public humiliation, lawsuits, etc. Somehow the thought of those things has a way of killing any erotic thoughts in about half a second.

Second, I actually have a bit of professional pride. I like my job and I'm proud of the job I do.

Third, I feel responsible for my students to some extent. They certainly have a right to learn from me without me telling them I have an 'A' in my trousers and maybe they should see if they can find it.

Fourth, as someone significantly older than the average student, I find that students are in general not my cup of tea: I don't want to be their 'friend' and, as a result, I don't want to be their lover either. I want to be their teacher. This doesn't mean I don't like them or enjoy talking to them. Just that I don't want to be the sort of lecturer who is 'pals' with all his students, goes out drinking with them, etc. Also, no offence, but the average student isn't smart enough to interest me. When you're in college, sex is 95% physical. As you get older, it becomes more and more mental (and better as a result). Sure, it's still also physical and there are plenty of lecturers who (I assume) sleep with students they have no intellectual respect for. But I guess it depends what you're after.

Now, suppose what we were dealing with was a postgrad who was intelligent and sympatico and made all the moves. Then it becomes more realistic that I might be interested and seriously consider it. If it was not one of my students, it might happen. But I think that more than likely what I'd say is 'look, I'm flattered and interested, but this is going to have to wait until you get your degree; if you're still interested then, I hope you'll get in touch.'

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Is there anything you want to ask me that you wouldn't dare ask in person?

I have missed ALOT of lectures and have not studied very much.Is there still hope?If I knuckle down and start studying could I still pass my exams in your view?

• Advertisement

I have missed ALOT of lectures and have not studied very much.Is there still hope?If I knuckle down and start studying could I still pass my exams in your view?

I have no way of knowing the answer to that question based on the information you've given me.

However, I can tell you that the worst thing you can do is become paralyzed by the thought that you've already missed too much. You should start going to everything--lectures, tutorials--and start doing all the work as of tomorrow. You may have a lot to catch up on but at least you won't continue going backwards. And you'll start to feel a lot better about it all and more confident the longer you continue doing this.

This kind of thing affects lecturers as well: there are times when I stop reading or doing research and find myself in a cycle of saying to myself 'oh, well, there's no point: I'm too far behind.' You just have to break out of it. Fortunately, it's relatively easy to do.

You might also talk to your lecturers about it. I know it's hard and some of them can be real dicks about it. I try not to be too hard on students who come to confess that they haven't been showing up (even though I'll never really understand it). Sometimes, though, it's hard not to let the disappointment show through.

Also: get to bed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Do any of the faculty lectures have superiority complex over Arts?

Does the SU piss the lecturers off as much as the students?

Sangre wrote:
    Do any of the faculty lectures have superiority complex over Arts?

I don't meet lecturers from other faculties often enough to have noticed. However, the people from the medical faculty who are currently running the university have an obvious arrogance. They think they know a lot more than they do.
    Does the SU piss the lecturers off as much as the students?

In a word: no. Its existence hardly registers in the mind of the average lecturer. It would be nice if they were a bit more militant about the draconian changes that are being pushed through, changes that--with the exception of modularisation--are not going to benefit students. But, by and large, the SU is a student thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

you've got to be taking the piss. Unless the thread starter can convince me or the admins that they are a UCD lecturer this thread is locked and will be binned shortly.

someone named uberwolf has taken it upon himself to lock my 'Ask a lecturer' thread.

I thought it would be a valuable place to have some interaction that we can't easily have otherwise. Lord knows students are not going ask me to my face the sort of questions I've already been asked.

I can understand the suspicion, but I don't see what harm would be done by letting the thread continue. I think over time you'd realise that I am what I say I am.

I have offered to prove to uberwolf (assuming he is responsible for locking the thread) that I am indeed a permanent lecturer in arts at UCD, if we can come up with a form of proof that doesn't compromise my anonymity.

As I explained to him, I'm really not ready to be pushed around or dictated to on this. I'm ready to offer proof, but I'm not going to kiss his ass or anyone else's. This was a little experiment that I thought could be mutually beneficial. But I've got other things to do in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Your anonymity? I take it Eoin Macollamh isn't actually your name then? :D I was actually enjoying reading the other thread just now to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

They certainly have a right to learn from me without me telling them I have an 'A' in my trousers and maybe they should see if they can find it.

To my mind, that sounds like a line that has been thought out and used repeatedly. :)

magpie wrote:
    To my mind, that sounds like a line that has been thought out and used repeatedly. :)

Standard shop humour for lecturers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

I've just realised what this reminds me of. You are the John Titor of Irish Academia. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Is there anything you want to ask me?

Is it true that there's really a lecturer's bar in the Arts building?

blondie83 wrote:
    Is it true that there's really a lecturer's bar in the Arts building?

Yes. It's called the Common Room and is on the first floor (just above Hilper's/Finnegan's Break/The Arts Cafe or whatever it's called now). It's not like it's a secret: there are signs on the doors. If you go on the tunnel between Arts and the Admin building you can see directly into it (if the blinds are open).

Lecturers pay for membership--something like €40 per annum, if memory serves--but are not required to be members. Membership gets you a key.

It's pleasant enough and does get rolling right about now, 5:30 on a Friday evening. I'm a member but generally don't go often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

However, the people from the medical faculty who are currently running the university have an obvious arrogance. They think they know a lot more than they do..
    Im in medicine and really agree with this. Most of the lecturers in the terrace are really unapproachable,arrogant and look down on us med students.The worst is when you fail and have to sit orals in front of your lecturers and its like they want to see you fail cos they act so superior!Whenever we get lecturers from the science department in ucd they are always so friendly.Whta is it with meds and being arrogant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Might seem like a silly question but I always like to try and be polite, and very occaisionally i'll ask a lecturer something at the end of a lecture about the course, or the lecture etc...I feel a bit rude if i just launch straight into a question or if i have to catch them after the lecture and just say excuse me without addressing them-how the hell do you address a lecturer? sir, mrs, dr, prof, mr/mrs/ms lecturer person..?

I know its a daft question but i always wondered...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Call him or her "Excuse me, I have a question". Lecturers should be approachable, most are genuinely interested in helping I think.

Alana wrote:
    Might seem like a silly question but I always like to try and be polite, and very occaisionally i'll ask a lecturer something at the end of a lecture about the course, or the lecture etc...I feel a bit rude if i just launch straight into a question or if i have to catch them after the lecture and just say excuse me without addressing them-how the hell do you address a lecturer? sir, mrs, dr, prof, mr/mrs/ms lecturer person..?

I know its a daft question but i always wondered...

The funniest to me (although I try not to laugh) are students who address me simply as 'Doctor', as though they've come to see me for tonsillitis.

Usually Dr So-and-so is fine. Some, myself included, don't stand on ceremony: I don't mind what students call me as long as it's polite.

Usually, they don't bother with a form of address. Like the person said, it's 'excuse me, I have a question'.

Any lecturer who is at all conscientious is delighted to get questions about a lecture or the subject matter. The questions that lecturers do not like getting, in general, are those about grades, test procedures, 'is this going to be on the test?', 'do we have to know this?', etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I don't meet lecturers from other faculties often enough to have noticed. However, the people from the medical faculty who are currently running the university have an obvious arrogance. They think they know a lot more than they do.

Interesting opinion.

Once a non-arts staff member takes presidency the arts faculty begrudge and you get comments like this.

Its nice to see Brady focus the university more and cut away the deadwood in my opinion.

syke wrote:
    Interesting opinion.

Once a non-arts staff member takes presidency the arts faculty begrudge and you get comments like this.

Its nice to see Brady focus the university more and cut away the deadwood in my opinion.

You haven't a clue what you're talking about. What 'deadwood' do you think he's 'cutting away'? How has Brady 'focused' the university?

You haven't a clue what you're talking about. What 'deadwood' do you think he's 'cutting away'? How has Brady 'focused' the university?

Forcing lecturers to bring in their own money is a good start and rearranging the faculty structure into schools.

Also allocating funds on a publication reward basis.

These measures will help pull the universityout of the doldrums and perhaps compete better at an international level.

Arts oppose this because traditionally, publication and funding is hard to come by when competing with science and engineering and they feel threathened.

I am quite aware what I talk about.

syke wrote:
    Forcing lecturers to bring in their own money is a good start and rearranging the faculty structure into schools.

Also allocating funds on a publication reward basis.

These measures will help pull the universityout of the doldrums and perhaps compete better at an international level.

Arts oppose this because traditionally, publication and funding is hard to come by when competing with science and engineering and they feel threathened.

I am quite aware what I talk about.

Uh, no. You're not.

Publication in arts is as easy as it is in the sciences.

No lecturers are being 'forced' to bring in their own money. There is this thing called 'tenure'. Perhaps you've heard of it.

If you think you know in what way the resource allocation model rewards publication, then you know more than the President and the Registrar themselves. Nothing has been determined about this.

In short: you're misinformed. It's also clear you haven't given even a moment's thought to what it means for universities to 'compete'. Why, precisely, is that desirable? In what way are they 'competing'? And how, again precisely, does this benefit students or the wider world?

I'm all ears. Actually, my ears are about to hit the pillow. But I'll be all ears in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

So u feel the environment you work in can be a very daunting experience for individuals coming from second level? How do you accommodate this?

Do you feel/see that students are often alienated and could possibly react negatively in forms of drugs or suicide? Are lectures often educated themselves about growing depression amongst teens in Ireland or do they just read it in tomorrows headlines? (I'm not a DCU student but I would like to learn more about your policies regarding this subject matter) If you do not, would it be a good idea to suggest a change in policy in which third level administrations deal with this adolescent behaviour?

Statistically Ireland has one of the highest suicide rates amongst countries. Are your college trying to reduce this figure? Amonsgst staff is the way to go in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭aSS g0BliN

i got a question for yea... which do u prefer airwolf or knightrider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Hi Eoin, I'm finding this an extermely fascinating thread and since it hasn't been closed and you do talk alot of sense I take your word that you are the real deal.

Just a question about lectures in general. As a alot of people do in their lectures I'm constantly taking notes down but in many of my lectures all I do is just write notes and this results in me not listening to what is being said as I'm so busy taking notes. Alot of the time I will scan my notes after a lecture and I won't have a clue what it's all about and I often think I would of been better listening more to what was been said rather than trying to write notes a 200mph .... no wait I mean 280kph (metric system :mad: )

What would your advice be? Should I listen more and take down only the important points or is their any other technique would you advice?

Also what is your position on Blackboard? I don't think Blackboard is been fully embraced by some departments and I feel it is a great tool that should be used more by some lecturers.

One more qusetion. Do you know these names: Stephen Mennell, Joe Brady and Barbara Traxlor-Brown/ Any gossip on any of these? ... Only kidding! :)
    But anyway Mennell is a f**king legend! :D

Skud wrote:
    So u feel the environment you work in can be a very daunting experience for individuals coming from second level? How do you accommodate this?

I suppose the best way is to be a human being and not a robot. That doesn't mean being Mr Funtime: I have to make demands on my students. But it does mean listening to them and being approachable.
    Do you feel/see that students are often alienated and could possibly react negatively in forms of drugs or suicide?

I haven't seen the drugs (much: there was one guy who showed up for an exam clearly on ecstacy or something) and, thank god, haven't seen or heard of any suicide among the students in my department. But I am aware of the alienation and I do try to talk to students who are clearly not adapting. The problem is that usually the students who are not adapting stop showing up for class. And once that happens, it is difficult to know whether they are not showing up because there's a problem or because they're dossers. If I had to telephone every student who wasn't reliably showing up for class, I'd never be off the phone.

Are lectures often educated themselves about growing depression amongst teens in Ireland or do they just read it in tomorrows headlines?

I know something about depression, having suffered from it. I was not aware that it was growing. Even if that turns out to be true, I'd be a bit skeptical: I'd need to see proof that it wasn't simply being reported more frequently (as the stigma attached to it diminishes) rather than actually growing.
    (I'm not a DCU student but I would like to learn more about your policies regarding this subject matter) If you do not, would it be a good idea to suggest a change in policy in which third level administrations deal with this adolescent behaviour?

Academic staff should certainly get more training on this. We basically don't get any. What we get is a set of guidelines and referral numbers that most lecturers probably don't even read. I do take this stuff seriously and would hope that others do too.

Uh, no. You're not.

Publication in arts is as easy as it is in the sciences.

Erm thats the point. The publication model is on a sliding scale of value. Artsis at the lower end of that from a college point of view. Basically Brady's problem is that all the schools should be bringing in money.
    No lecturers are being 'forced' to bring in their own money. There is this thing called 'tenure'. Perhaps you've heard of it.

I don't believe I've said this.

What I have said is that college resource allocations are not standardised any more and the system taking over determines allocations by how pro-active the schools are in generating grants, publications and research. Arts fares badly in this sense, thus you have the the responses like yours above towards the new administration.
    If you think you know in what way the resource allocation model rewards publication, then you know more than the President and the Registrar themselves. Nothing has been determined about this.

Actually no. The system is already in place and was voted in last year at governeing authority level - Thats why the RIS website is now in place. Brady himself went to all the individual Facult meetings to showcase the new system and the WAG report (which hasn't been implimented yet) will only serve to compound this direction.

No wonder Arts feels so threathened.
    In short: you're misinformed. It's also clear you haven't given even a moment's thought to what it means for universities to 'compete'. Why, precisely, is that desirable? In what way are they 'competing'? And how, again precisely, does this benefit students or the wider world?
    Besides the fact you've questioned my knowledge without demonstrating any of your own, this seems to be the crux of the argument. With so many previous non-research-inclined presidents Arts got on just fine with dead money being pored in. Brady wants to change that all. Publications lead to grants and funding and attract better scientists. UCD fares poorly in this area at an international level and even at a domestic level when you look at the major funding body allocations to the Irish universities (I think UCD is 4th/5th overall).

I'm all ears. Actually, my ears are about to hit the pillow. But I'll be all ears in the morning.[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement

So.. ahem.. back to the original topic; I have some more questions, this time motivated by the fact that I want to be a Big Smart Academic myself at some point in the future: Is it a rewarding job (not in the financial sense)? What's the money like? Was your post hard to get? Are you happy with it? Is it a pleasant working environment? You get the drift..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement