Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poll on Irish Times Site - Eircom and LLU

Options
  • 18-02-2005 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

http://www.ireland.com/business/

"Is eircom deliberately frustrating local loop unbundling ? "

Go vote and more importantly, go comment.

Damien.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Done and done. I'd love to know who voted no!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Is eircom deliberately frustrating local loop unbundling?

96% YES
    4% NO

Oh dear, not looking good for our friends Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Now 97% thanks to me ;)

Also done and done.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Excellent stuff! Make sure you post a comment as well. Here was my comment:

Yes! And the reason is simply - they want to abuse their monopoly and price gouge the Irish people for as long as possible.

Without LLU eircom can set the pace for everyone, drag their heels and keep a tight reign on the irish broadband market.

With LLU, other companies such as Smart Telecom can come in, install better equipment in the local eircom exchanges and bring choice and competition to the irish broadband market now! And force eircom to complete head on.

Which do you want - a monopoly or a competitive market? I want a competitive market and better broadband services. Bring on LLU already!

Aodhan.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

nahdoic wrote:
    Excellent stuff! Make sure you post a comment as well. Here was my comment:

Yes! And the reason is simply - they want to abuse their monopoly and price gouge the Irish people for as long as possible.

Without LLU eircom can set the pace for everyone, drag their heels and keep a tight reign on the irish broadband market.

With LLU, other companies such as Smart Telecom can come in, install better equipment in the local eircom exchanges and bring choice and competition to the irish broadband market now! And force eircom to complete head on.

Which do you want - a monopoly or a competitive market? I want a competitive market and better broadband services. Bring on LLU already!

Aodhan.

No comments showing ... ????

• Advertisement

Yeah, they'd want to hurry up with their moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I've a feeling a lot of the comments won't make it, as they'll all be more or less the same. Mine was along CP's lines as well. We're up to 98% yes now!

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

4 pages of comments so far. All very good comments too.

Woohoo! second comment. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

98% and rising, which idiot pressed the wrong button???! :eek:

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Ooops dammit :D

John

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Heh, I said I was from Hungary by mistake*, although I guess saying that Eircom management should be wearing masks and carrying bags marked SWAG over their shoulder isn't much of a way to get published anyway.

Some great trolls in there btw. Love the one about pub owners.

* Which is ironic, cos I'm bloody starving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

They published the result and selected comments on the business page on Saturday. 98% "Yes" - probably the most decisive vote they ever recorded.
    Damien's comment got top billing in their published selection.

I couldn't resist using the word "absolutely" too. I've noticed that Mr McRedmond uses that phrase a lot. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Damien. I noted you quoted the 2 Million Access Channel figure rather than the 1.7 Million Line figure in your comment.

A normal line is 1 access channel , 1.6m = 1.6m
    An ISDN line is 2 channel , there are 100,000 = 200,000
    A Primary ISDN is 16 or 30 , circa 100,000 access channels

Thats 1.9 Mllion so where do Eircom get 2m in their annual report on the SEC site.

Its simple, they count Bitstream BB connections as an access channel as well and creep over 2m that way :)

As it is the Line that is unbundled and not the access channel we have about 1.7m Lines in the country of which 2300 have been unbundled in the 3 years since the process started (April 2002 in Limerick IIRC) .

Thats a stunning 15 unbundles a Week across 40 of the largest exchanges in the country . Some EU countries do over 2300 unbundles a Week, every week . ESAT got a €12m grant so each unbundle to date cost the taxpayer €5000 or so.

Smart say that they have a deal wth Eircom to do 5000 a month or 2300 per Fortnight .

HTH

SpongeMuck:

On page 7 of this ComReg doc it says there are 1.6 million lines. Then on the next page it states "Approximately 423,000 ISDN access channels"

How many of these are 423k are actual lines ? What's the deal with an access channel, an access path and a line ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Is eircom deliberately frustrating local loop unbundling?

96% YES
    4% NO

Oh dear, not looking good for our friends Eircom.

97% Yes
    3% No.

Results at last check

We'd probably have real broadband if it were'nt for eircom. :mad:

A Mobile phone is an access path but a channel must be wired . Every non disabled SIM is an access path . Every access channel is an access path too .

That 423 000 figure comes with a NOTE 7 Damien :).

It comprises every PRI in the country of which Eircom only supplies about max 100,000 channels or so I thought (about 5000 lines IIRC of which some are fractional ) and OLOs such as ESAT , Worldcom , NTL to name a few supply the rest....frequently in Business Parks on their own copper and fibre or over licenced Wireless tails .

Comreg state that BR I sdn is 51% of the 423,000 total or 212,000 which is 106,000 Lines .

A PRI may not be unbundled ......per se ....... leaving 1.6m Pots and 0.1m BR lnes available or 1.7m .

Eircom may actually have 2m Access channels at a pinch not counting Bitstream channels too if my PRI stats are wrong but not more than 1.71 or 1.72 million lines.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    That 423 000 figure comes with a NOTE 7 Damien :).

Aye, but I still didn't understand it, thus asking you. I wasn't trying to contradict you SpongeMuck. :)

A Basic Rate ISDN is a sngle wire that can support 2 calls. 1 Line two channels

A Primary ISDN is a single par or pair of pairs (wires) that can support 30 Calls , 1 line = 30 channels.

If you check Eircoms 20F report to the SEC you will see they state that they count a PR as 16 lines not 30 so they will tend to under report PRI channels and really have 2m channels not counting Bitstream channels . Thats here.

http://www.sec.gov/cgi-bin/browse-edgar?action=getcompany&CIK=0001267841&owner=include

I tend to believe what they tell the SEC and not what they tell Comreg because they can be locked up in Rikers Island if they lie to the SEC whereas they just get paid multi million bonuses if they lie to Comreg :)

HTH

• Advertisement
Advertisement