Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US power supplies

• 18-02-2005 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭

OK, this is probably a very stupid question, but as I am quite hungover please forgive me...

If you buy an ipod etc from the states, is there any issue over the voltage of the power supply? i.e. do you just need to fit a new plug on the power cable or do you need a voltage converter?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Most portable units will come with a transformer which covers 100-240V , all you should need is an adaptor to plug it in . Or change the plug :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Excellent, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

sharkman sums it up, and the iPod does (up until now at least!) come with a dual voltage transformer. The only issue is that the iPod transformer has a built in (changeable) plug. So you can either buy a simple UK > US adaptor (5-9 quid in places like Roches, etc.) (not a transformer which would be 20 quid +, just the adaptor), or use any "figure of 8" lead (like those that plug into most portable stereos (not a kettle lead).

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Good info that. I was about to ask something similar about a US power adaptor. It's listed as Multi-voltage (100-240) so it should be fine so, once I plug a 8" lead in? Didn't want to blow the **** out of my latest toy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

nm

Advertisement