Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend Golf Clubs??

• 18-02-2005 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi all,

I had been using a set of second hand clubs that I got from a relative until they were stolen recently. I'm just wondering if people could recommend decent clubs and the best place to purchase.

I'm not a very experienced golfer (handicap ~18) but I want a fairly good set of clubs that will be suitable for a few years while I lower my handicap (hopefully). I have a putter so I'm looking for a set of irons and probably a driver and 5 wood (never really used my old 3 wood). Plan to spend around €600-€800 euro.

Can anyone make any recommendations? Also, where is best place to purchase?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭okden

for handicap 18, you cant go wrong with second hand callaway or taylormade

irons
    callaway x14 ~350-400euro
    taylormade rac os ~400-450e

5 wood
    taylor made bubble burner w/ bubble shaft ~100e
    calloway steelhead ~100e
    ripped copy of either ~60e new

driver
    taylormade 360xd ~ 150e
    taylormade 580, ~ 170e
    taylormade 580xd, 540xd ~ 190e

no 3 wood im guessin you hit ball low
    if so get rac os and 580xd 10.5 first and put off getting 5 wood
    inspect face of second hand titanium drivers any very noticeable dings and there ruined

buyandsell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

taylormade bubble shaft drivers are class, real easy to hit.
    2nd hand callaway irons. try get blades for the lower clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

High h'cap should not use blades - should be using cavity backs and possibly even rescue clubs for low irons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Have to agree with getoffthepot, Blades should only be used by scratch golfers or thereabouts.Very difficult to use. I was given a set of blades when I started playing golf and they were impossible to use...considering I was a complete novice playing off 28 you can probably see why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Go to ebay to shop. I bought a set of racs os in mcgruirks for 500 euro, 2 months later my dad bought the exact same set on ebay for 200. Thats a big saving. I'd recomend the RAC. They are very easy to hit and give a huge boost in distance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

Hrm, I found them pretty easy to hit from 7 down and i am in no way near a scratch golfer. some find them easier i suppose although yeah most can't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

hey im ok at golf good enough now for my age for handicape of 22 what would be the best irons for me

i was thinking of Mizono bot i say there for pro's

im 18 by the way

i gave golf up for a yr because of my leaving cery but i played pitch and putt there at the weekend ahh man it was great to play again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Mizuno MX23 or Taylormade RAC OS are both very forgiving clubs with extra carry and real quality feel.Suit low and high handicappers. Buy on E-BAY for half the price ( new! ) including shipping.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i use titleist,wilson and top flite,stay away from blades with your handicap..i love my 1 iron blade...its called the doctor :)
    i hate taylormade ugh the awful awful feel :P

Advertisement