Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clamped

Options
  • 18-02-2005 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

well last monday i went to dublin i parked in my parking space in stuert hall which i bought when the place was bing built and went off for a day of browsing around the shops .

for those that have never seen it or dont know it . its a underground carpark under the apartments closed off by the automatic shutter . you need a spiecal key to get in and out of it that only the owners have one per person etc..

when i got back i saw that somehow the clamping guys got into the carpark and clamped my car . when i rang them to find out wtf they were playing at the guy told me they were told to clamp my car by the owner . this baffled me . i asked who they thought the owner was and who rang them to get my car clamped . they refused to tell me i asked them to release my car and they said they would not unclamp it untill i paid the fine .

it took them close to 2hrs to arrive to unclamp it and i had to pay it .

i thought this was utterly stupid

anyone else got any other stories of these guys and is there any goverment body ment to watch over there clamping ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

i would have got a sledge and broken the lock on it. the most ud owe them is a new lock and id tell them to f off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Its illeagle forthem to clamp on private property unlees the property owner brings them in and even then they have to sign post the **** out of the place before its legal. I wouldn't have paid the fine, **** that, and id def be looking for my money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

If you can prove your ownership, with property title in hand,
    1) send a letter enclosing copy of the title and asking them for reimbursement of monies, with penalty of issuing proceedings for trespassing and lodging a claim for extortion at Gardai if they don't comply within a reasonable amount of time, e.g. 2 weeks.
    2) if they don't reply/comply, execute as planned/threatened.

I've done it in the UK ('got clamped on my parking spot (to which I had property title) in a shared courtyard on private land) and AFAIK, it is their responsibility to ensure that they take instructions from the rightful owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Thats a load of *******...........

I have just heard the usual stories of them waiting by a car until the time is up on the parking and then clamping the car.

I think one person challeneged a few years back as the ticket and clamp where apllied at 11:58 and the parking did not run out until 11:59 ( these are not the exact times just a rough reference)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You mean the clampers employed by Dublin City Council are operating on private property, yet in a public capacity? Can you prove you own the spot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

kbannon wrote:
    You mean the clampers employed by Dublin City Council are operating on private property, yet in a public capacity? Can you prove you own the spot?

ye i own the spot and the apartment above well one of them . ive the proff lying around somwhere but so far ive bitched at them loads . now to get my money back and bitch at them for making me miss meetings

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

elexes wrote:
    ye i own the spot and the apartment above well one of them . ive the proff lying around somwhere but so far ive bitched at them loads . now to get my money back and bitch at them for making me miss meetings
    Meetings and any other inconvienences should be billed to them!
    Take no poo from these fascists!

Jerry Ryan would have a field day with this... :)

Rew wrote:
    i was thinking that on tuesday when he was talking about the ambulence in the airport

Rew wrote:

Ooops! Elexes, I forgot (how could I?!? :eek:) to tell you to include "ample negative press/media coverage to come" in that letter, of course, with a nice 'cc' of this letter to a few papers/tv researchers and notice that any reply will be likewise cc'd :D

• Advertisement

Not strictly the same but a friend of mine wrote a flameing mail to everyone he knew about how **** Meteor were treating him, hee CC's it meteor and every jurno he could think of. Live Line rang him and Meteor sorted him out with in 12 hours of the mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Yeah i agree that a bit of scare tactics have to be used, with these type of ppl, otherwise they will just ignore you. The second they hear about the radio stations being involved or the Gardai they will surley answer you well with the 2 week response time you give them

Dont forget to look for an apology in writing as well, best to humilate them in as many ways as possible.

i would have personally removed it myself and thrown it in the bin. no point in dalling about with pricks like that.

Everyone should have an angle grinder in the boot for just such a situation :)

Ah well, now lomb, you're talking about vandalism - can't have that, we're s'posed to stay squeaky-clean if we're going to win this one.

On the other hand...they shouldn't have left 'their property' on private property should they? Not as if there's a duty of care or anything... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭lilulila

They clamp us outside our workplace here. If we removed the clamps ourselves would they not have grounds to prosecute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Do you actually live in the apartment that you bought with this parking spot or is it being let out ??

lilulila wrote:
    They clamp us outside our workplace here. If we removed the clamps ourselves would they not have grounds to prosecute?

Depends if 'outside the workplace' is public or private land and, if private land, whether they do so at the bequest of the bona fide land owner.

Once that's been answered, it then also depends on whether you're removing the clamps with or without damaging/destroying them.

If it's a regular occurrence -and provided it's not illegal to do so, of course, so check first- take your reg' plates with you after you park. They won't be able to prove conclusively that it is your car which they clamped, after you've removed the clamp ;)

unless they have pictures they wont b able to prove it anyway. if its private land and u are in the wrong, then u may have a responsibility to their property. if its removed without damage u have done nothing wrong for sure.

they can be got off if the tyre is deflated and the air removed from them and car jacked up.

• Advertisement

Do you actually live in the apartment that you bought with this parking spot or is it being let out ??

I was thinking that my self, I live in a rented Appartment with a space and we have huge problems int he carpark with random people taking spaces (its not a controled entrance. If there was a clamper I could ring I would. Never met the landlord I just deal with the Estate Agent.

Rew wrote:
    I was thinking that my self, I live in a rented Appartment with a space and we have huge problems int he carpark with random people taking spaces (its not a controled entrance. If there was a clamper I could ring I would. Never met the landlord I just deal with the Estate Agent.

What I am thinking here is ; Is this apartment rented with the car park space and are we getting the full story ??

There was war about it before they didnt have a sign up and they had to refund everyone. But now they are doing it legit. Its terrible that we cant park at work. I really despise them and there 60 euro a shot lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

In those 2 hours you could have gone and bought a hacksaw fro a fraction of the fine!! :D

LOL very tempting ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

It'd be interesting to know if they had any legal backup in such a position anyway... afterall they interfered with your property not the other way around.
    (assuming you were right)

Boggle wrote:
    (assuming you were right)

That has yet to be comfirmed.

my brother lives( rents from me ) in the apartment . and no it wasnt him who phoned ive allready asked him . plus he dosnt have keys to the carpark or have a car

elexes wrote:
    my brother lives( rents from me ) in the apartment . and no it wasnt him who phoned ive allready asked him . plus he dosnt have keys to the carpark or have a car

Fair enuf, Now screw the bastard clamping company and be sure to tell us all the gory details. Ring Gerry Ryan as well Id love to hear the clampers try to wriggle out of it on air.

:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement