Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1GB MMC Card for Nokia 6230

Options
  • 18-02-2005 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Does anyone know of any compatibility issues with the TwinMos 1GB MMC card with the Nokia 6230 phone. www.komplett.ie has one for about €79 and it looks attrcative, however they will not let me return the card if it is not compatible. Any experiences? ps. I am thinking of ditching the idea to buy an iPOD and just convert my 6230 into a jukebox. Already have my POP port to 3.5 mm converter and can plug into my stereo directly

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Where did you get the converter? There are a lod of threads here which give the compatibility. As far as I know that one is OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ferozs

I got the POP Port converter in eBAY. Check out- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42407&item=6366761084&rd=1
    Rgds
    FS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

€67 here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I got that Twinmos card just last week... seems to be working fine to me.

It doesn't recognise the card as a 1GB, but it shows all the content on it. Make sure you get a card reader with it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

I can also confirm the 1GB TwinMOS card works fine with the Nokia 6230. Just a few things you should be aware of...

First, current firmware/software on the phone will not report the card's capacity correctly - although this doesn't matter. The card does work fine!

Second, for the phone to see MP3s they must be in the root folder of the MMC card. But, there is a limit to the number which depends on the length of the filenames you use. So you can maybe store around 100 MP3s in the root folder before getting an error. To get around this you can store the MP3s in folders but you *must* use playlists in order for the phone to see them. Playlists can be created with the Nokia PC Suite software.

That said, I've read reports that the latest firmware (v5.24) will scan the while MMC card which means that playlists are no longer neeed. I'll hopefully test this in the next 2 weeks.

Anyway, before you get the large capacity MMC card, play around with a few MP3s with your 32MB MMC card so you're familiar with it.

Here's a tutorial on how to create playlists using the Nokia PC Suite

Also, ferozs, where did you get the Pop-Port -> 3.5mm converter from?

- Neil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

what does the 6230 normally use?
    I got a 6630 and want to get a card but it uses some dual voltage crap
    RS-MMC DV

I've got 124 MP3s on my MMC in the root folder. Seems to be handling them fine, although sometimes it takes 30 or 40 seconds to load the list from the music play (every few days.. assuming it's a refresh).

I'm not sure which firmware version I have.

ciaranfo wrote:
    I'm not sure which firmware version I have.

Just type in:

*#0000#

My Firmware version is 4.28 then....

Cards working grand. :)

im 4.77 but I hear there is a 5.0. Mines buggy with bluetooth and bluetooth headsets/carkits when you use voice dialing 50% of the time the phone hangs or reboots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Is it MMC or RS-MMC and will the veritech or transcend cards work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

ciaranfo wrote:
    It doesn't recognise the card as a 1GB, but it shows all the content on it. Make sure you get a card reader with it :P

bluetooth will work just as well wont it?

There is a bug in the firmware that wont let you write up to the full gig while the card is in the phone hence the card reader/writer.

Also you may be old and gray by the time you transfer a gig over bluetooth.

Hi,

Just to clear up a few question from above...

digitalninja - The 6230 takes regular MMC cards although RS-MMC (and DV-RS-MMC) cards will fit assuming you use an adapter the make the card full-size. That said, MMC cards are cheaper and there is no advantage to using RS-MMC.

The 6630 uses DV-RS-MMC only. At the moment, the biggest available is a 128mb card.

Rew - Firmware version 5.24 for the Nokia 6230 appears to make both the Bluetooth and GPRS more stable - especially when used together. Try using Goolgle to search for peoples experience with this firmware so far.

skywalker- Bluetooth will work fine now, it's just really slow. If you wanted to fill a 1GB MMC card it would take 8 or 9 hours.

Rew - I believe I posted that a while back. It appears the limit is caused by the filing system. In other words, you can only store a certain amount of files in the root folder of the MMC card. The number depends on how long your filenames are. The longer the filenames, the less files you can store. This is why, if you have hundreds of files, it's best to create a set of folders and use playlists.

syke - It depends on the size. Most brands of MMC card will work if they are 128 or 256mb in size. The phone gets very fussy when talking about 512mb or 1gb cards.

- Neil

thanks for the responses lads. realistically your only gonna fill the 1gb card once initially and then probly change a couple mp3s every once in a while so the transfer speed wouldnt be a major issue.

is there anything i cant do with the card raeder that ya can do with bluetooth? thats probably not a very clear question, what i mean is if i were to get the card reader i only have access to the memory card, not the phone itself. is everything (ringtones, games etc) all accessable from the memory card?

couple more questions id appreciate answered on the 6230 is thats ok.

can you use mp3 files as ringtones?
    can you use the memory card for file storage?
    is there a list of compatible memory cards anywhere/whats the cheapest compatible 1gb model(sorry that last ones pretty lazy but if someone already knows id appreciate it)?
    how do ya go about updating the firmware?

Hi,

The only thing extra you can do with Bluetooth or a Data-cable is create playlists as this must be done with the Nokia PC Suite (or another piece of 3rd party software). As previously mentioned, you only need to use playlists if your music is *not* stored in the root folder of the MMC card.

To answer your other questions...

1. MP3s can be used as ringtones (from either the phone memory or MMC card)

2. Pictures, video cips and recording (from the voice reocrder) can be set to automatically store on the MMC card.

3. I don't know of a complete list (try Google ;)) but the MMC cards that www.komplett.ie work and they are cheap.

4. Firmware can be updated by a Nokia Service Center . It's free if your phone is less than a year old.

- Neil

excellent theothernt, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. picked up my 6230 on a vodafone upgrade yesterday after readin a thread on here saying there was an offer of 1000 free minutes a month for the rest of the year if you upgrade in february. :)

what i meant by the file storage question is can i bluetooth word docs and other filetypes to/from the phone, ie use it as a removable storage device.

by the looks of it ill need both a bluetooth dongle and a card reader. ahh well neither is gonna be obsolete any time soon anyway.

Hi,

When accessing the Nokia 6230 with either Bluetooth or a data-cable, you can copy any type of file you like (Music, Videos, Word Documents, etc) but of course, the phone itself will only play/use a few types such as MP3, AAC or 3GP.

I should have also mentioned above that when your Nokia 6230 is connected to your PC via Bluetooth or data-cable, you can use the Nokia PC Suite which allows you to edit your phone book, read text messages and lots of other handy little features. If you do use the Nokia PC Suite, be sure to download the lastest version from www.nokia.com, which is newer than the version of the CD you received with the phone.

Anyway, if you have any more questions - fire away! ;)

- Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Is the memory card for the nokia 6230 as with the Nokia 6600 smartphone?

Hi,

Yes - both the Nokia 6230 and Nokia 6600 take regular MMC cards.

- Neil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭shinzon

sorry for butting in but is there compatibilty issues with this card and the N-Gage original

Shin

Hi,

The original N-Gage will use 1GB MMC cards with no problems.

- Neil

Thx for the tip on the 5.44 firmware ill get mine flashed one these days. It goes abit mental when I use voice dialing wiht my bluetooth car kit. Its been a bit of a pain a few times trying to turn on and off the phone and drive ;)

you mentioned that the Nokia Service Centers will flash the firmware on my new 6230. is there any of them in dublin city center? and do i just go in and ask for the latest firmware or do i need to invent a problem for them to do the update?

also throw the update in here on the latest firmware and playlists, as that would be my only need for the bluetooth adapter so once thats sorted i can stick with the card reader only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

i see expansys.ie have a 6230 value pack for 359.95 :: incl 128meg mmc card, usb bluetooth adapter, nokia headset, phone pouch.

dammit...I really want this phone...but I need a hd for my lappy :dunno:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I jhave bit of a query concering the phone playing mp3's
    I have the standard 32meg, and i put up a 30minute mp3(live set)
    I can't seem to be able to fast forward the mp3,or if someone rings me or get a message I HAVE TO PLAY THE MP£ FROM START AGAIN<
    IS THERE ANY WAY AROUND THIS? I tried just going into the gallery and playing the mp3 and going into media player and playing it but they both seem the same..

You'd need to get a 3rd party MP3 player APP for your 6230 to allow you to fastforward etc... it's the price we pay :(

As far as I know they do exist though.

skywalker wrote:
    you mentioned that the Nokia Service Centers will flash the firmware on my new 6230. is there any of them in dublin city center? and do i just go in and ask for the latest firmware or do i need to invent a problem for them to do the update?

They will flash it no questions asked.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Got a link to one of these players? do they give a trial?
    and what way does the code key work that they give you? boes by the imei number i take it?

• Advertisement

Rew wrote:
    They will flash it no questions asked.

lovely. is it a while you wait thing? and is there any in dub city center?

Advertisement