Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1GB MMC Card for Nokia 6230

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

skywalker - Although they should be able to flash your phone with no questions asked, "having" a problem with the phone helps - at least that's what I do. For a list of Nokia Services Centers, refer to the link above (15 posts up) ;)

Lenny - When you load an MP3 in the "Music Player" (this doesn't seem to work in the Gallery) you can press and hold DOWN and it should fast-forward through the song.

ciaranfo - Only Series 60, Series 80 and Series 90 phones allow you to install proper applications. The Nokia 6230 can only manage Java games and apps - which cannot access the files on the phone (for security reasons).

kaimera - Do you have to buy the phone SIM-free? both Vodafone and O2 have great upgrade offers on the Nokia 6230 at the moment (around 100 to 150 euro).

- Neil

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Ahh I see now :) doesn't fast forward ver fast tho

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Lenny wrote:
    I jhave bit of a query concering the phone playing mp3's
    I have the standard 32meg, and i put up a 30minute mp3(live set)
    I can't seem to be able to fast forward the mp3,or if someone rings me or get a message I HAVE TO PLAY THE MP£ FROM START AGAIN<
    IS THERE ANY WAY AROUND THIS? I tried just going into the gallery and playing the mp3 and going into media player and playing it but they both seem the same..

I got the ultraMP3 player for my phone of yahoo groups and sent it to my phone via bluetooth from my computer just look around and you can find loads of cool apps for your phone like mp3 players etc :)

Hi,

1huge1 - UltraMP3 is for a Series 60 phone. We are generally talking about the Nokia 6230 in this thread which is a Series 40 phone.

- Neil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

i dont really need it sim free but I'm not on a contract with o2. didn't think I could get it with my upgrade then.
    oh..and I wouldn't touch vodafone tbqh. i am a student after all...cant afford their prices :)

• Advertisement

Hi,

You might as well check if you're able to upgrade or not. If not, maybe a family member might have an upgrade on O2 they're not in a hurry to use - parents usually aren't into their phones like younger people are ;)

Btw, that's how my brother got his Nokia 6230 ;)

- Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

for the 6230 how do you save suff straight to the memory card rather than the phone when transfering files via bluetooth from a pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

lol!! I did check for an upgrade and the 6230 isn't on the speakeasy upgrade. Might look and see if my boss has an upgrade due...

Hi,

Richie6904 - While using Bluetooth, also use the Nokia PC Suite to access your Nokia 6230 and it will show both the "Phone Memory" and "Memory Card" as drives where you can store files. Now you can drag files directly onto your MMC card.

kaimera - Oh right, I assumed you were on Bill Pay. The phone isn't available on Speakeasy or Ready To Go :(

- Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

hi guys,
    got a lend of a bluetooth adapter and was playing around with it last night, on the issue of playlists, the playlists the nokia software was creating were m3u files, same filetype as is created by winamp and most mp3 payer progs.

could i just create my playlists in winamp and transfer them onto the memory card using a reader? i only ask this as someone earlier in the thread said playlists were the main advantage of a bluetooth adapter.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Although playlists are just M3U files (essentially text files which you could create with Notepad), they are stored in a special place in the Phone Memory which is not user-accessible.

If you simply create an M3U playlist and store it on the MMC card, the phone will not see or recognise it - I've tried it. So, your only option is to use the Nokia PC Suite via Bluetooth or Datacable.

- Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I got my 6230 free on saturday after porting from Vodafone to O2 in cpw (and €40/month extra credit for the first 3 months, car charger and bluetooth headset on 20+ package which includes one free add on!)

Anyway I've ordered a 1 Gb card and would like to upgrade my firmware. Also I read that it solves the not being able to see who's calling with a dark wallpaper problem. Do they upgrade while you wait and what kind of problems do you invent theothernt? At the moment I have the 4.44 firmware - do they have the 5.24 firmware? Are any of the service centres more helpful than others?

Lenny about your MP3 problem - how about splitting that live set into a few tracks with a mp3 editor?

ferozs wrote:
    I got the POP Port converter in eBAY. Check out- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42407&item=6366761084&rd=1
    Rgds
    FS

If you're in anyway handy with a soldering iron you can buy an identical socket to the one in the ebay picture in Maplin for around €2.00 and do it yourself - I did it on Monday and it works a treat :) I've since come accross this guide http://www.stewartb.com/nokia-mod/ I didn't bother scrapping of the coating on the wires - I think it justs melts off with the heat of the solder.

theothernt wrote:
    Hi,

Although playlists are just M3U files (essentially text files which you could create with Notepad), they are stored in a special place in the Phone Memory which is not user-accessible.

If you simply create an M3U playlist and store it on the MMC card, the phone will not see or recognise it - I've tried it. So, your only option is to use the Nokia PC Suite via Bluetooth or Datacable.

- Neil

i getcha now. but how do you use the card reader to transfer the mp3s i want in playlists so?

Hi,

skywalker - If you have a card reader, your only option is to place all the MP3s in the root folder of the MMC card. If you don't have Bluetooth or a Datacable, it's not possible to use the Nokia PC Suite which can create playlists.

digitaldr - From what I've read, it can depend on which Nokia Service Center you visit. I usually say I have a problem with the phone crashing a lot, or certain apps not working like they should but I have a Series 60 based phone - there are *always* issues with those ;)

The 6230 is known to have Bluetooth and GPRS stability issues. The update to v5.24 is supposed to fix that. That reason might be good enough ;)

In relation to the DIY 3.5mm headphone jack - I think some people can't be bothered, can't solder or maybe want to keep an original pair of Nokia headphones just in case they decide to sell their phone in a few months ;)

Still, UK£12 isn't bad for a piar of Nokia headphones (I'm sure they cost twice that here) with modification already done.

- Neil

Thanks for the info theothernt - much appreciated.

I think I'll pop into the phone shop on Dawson street tomorrow and try my luck there.

Luckily my wife has a spare Nokia headset from her old (knackered) phone which she never used due to it's general crappiness!

I'm probably going to solder my headphones direct to the mic on the nokia headset as the wire is now very long and the jack socket's a bit too heavy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

digitaldr wrote:
    Thanks for the info theothernt - much appreciated.

I think I'll pop into the phone shop on Dawson street tomorrow and try my luck there.

Luckily my wife has a spare Nokia headset from her old (knackered) phone which she never used due to it's general crappiness!

I'm probably going to solder my headphones direct to the mic on the nokia headset as the wire is now very long and the jack socket's a bit too heavy!

That's an O2 store now mate, not a Nokia centre anymore. It's just O2 retail; I'd be surprised if they knew what you were talking about asking for an upgrade.

That's an O2 store now mate, not a Nokia centre anymore. It's just O2 retail; I'd be surprised if they knew what you were talking about asking for an upgrade.

Oops, I meant The Telephone Centre

theothernt wrote:
    skywalker - If you have a card reader, your only option is to place all the MP3s in the root folder of the MMC card. If you don't have Bluetooth or a Datacable, it's not possible to use the Nokia PC Suite which can create playlists.

sorry to keep asking variations on the same questions but i still dont get ya. im gonna get a card reader and a bluetooth dongle. whats the best way for me to transfer on the mp3s?

Hi,

No problem skywalker.

First off, both Bluetooth and a card reader can be used to copy MP3s onto the MMC card. You can create folders and arrange the songs in anyway you want. A card reader would be 100x times faster though when it comes to copying.

The problem is, if you create a folder and fill it with MP3s - the phone's "Music Player" will not see the MP3s. Now, you can use the "Gallery" but you'll probably find that slow and you have no options when playing MP3s (like random order, being able to fast-forward in a track, etc). Creating a playlist solves the problem with the "Music Player". It allows the "Music Player" to see MP3s which are stored in folders on the MMC card.

Playlists are created by the Nokia PC Suite. If you want to use the Nokia PC Suite, you must have Bluetooth or a Datacable.

I hope that makes some sense? ;)

- Neil

• Advertisement

theothernt thanks for the patience man, think im on the right track now. so for mp3s that arent on the root of the mem card, I transfer the actual mp3s with the card reader, and the playlist file with the bluetooth?

Hi,

Basically, yes. Say you have 20 albums. I'd would do something like this...

1. Create a folder called "Music" in the root of the MMC card
    2. Place each album below that (eg. "\Music\Waiting For The Sirens Call")
    3. Once that's done, fire up the "Nokia Audio Manager" via a Bluetooth link and create a platlist for the albums you want to listen to (the smaller the playlist is, the faster it will load)

Btw, here is a link on how to use the Nokia Audio Manager...
    http://www.mobymemory.com/Content/HOWTO.Use.Nokia.Audio.Manager.to.make.playlists.to.tracks.on.your.MobyMemory.MMC.480.html

- Neil

Got it now, thanks for that theothernt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LeSid

Firmware 5.24 and above recognize songs stored in sub folders on an MMC, even 1GB. However, they are played in the order they are saved on the MMC, not in order of the file name (01-songtitle.mp3) or even id3 tag. So the only way of organizing your music is by using playlists.

If you are not a windows user an therefore can not use the nokia audio suite, and/or if you have a firmware older than 5.24, the following may help you:

Playlists can easily be created on your computer using any playlist creator or manually.

The format of .m3u files (mp3 playlists) is simple
    first line: #EXTM3U
    following lines: names of files with sub folders.
    The MMC is recognised by the cell phone as drive B, so the file names must be:
    B:\subfolder1\file1.mp3
    B:\subfolder1\file2.mp3
    etc.

You can then copy the playlist onto your phone using the program Gammu: www.mwiacek.com/gsm/soft/gammu.html. Download Version 1.00.10 or above (the files are currently in the developing folder, not yet in the stable folder).

An explanation on how to copy the playlists onto the phone can be found in this thread:
    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.gammu/2121

Enjoy your Nokia 6230 as a fully functional mp3 player!

Advertisement