Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Varnishing Front Door

• 18-02-2005 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

I need to varnish my front door, as it's beginning to look a bit weathered. I've not done this before, so what varnish should I use? Also, would it be advisable to remove the door or is it okay to varnish it standing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Give it a good sanding and clean it down with a cloth with some white spirits on it to get rid of any grease marks from hands pushing door open.It depends on if your any good at painting if you paint with door upright.Just take your time,dont slob it dob it on.Id recommend Yacht Varnish if you can get it.Give it three coats and sand inbetween coats of varnish.

Happy varnishing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Shamrok wrote:
    I need to varnish my front door, as it's beginning to look a bit weathered. I've not done this before, so what varnish should I use? Also, would it be advisable to remove the door or is it okay to varnish it standing?
    are you sure it needs varnishing?

Maybe you just need to stain it especially if you say it's looking a bit weathered?

If you just need to stain it, I'd sand it down like mad m says and clean off with white spirits. You should be ok to leave it on. Don't hit it first time with the brush with half the tin. I use Ronseal 5 year quick drying wood stain that is normally touch dry in 10 min and re-coatable in 1 hr. Sand down between coats. If you do a good job this year and apply 3 coats then 1 coat every 4-5 yrs is sufficient. Color choice is a personal preference.

Advertisement